Have you ever had an embarrassing situation visiting a sex shop?

Years ago I went into a well known sex shop that is in most shopping centres, and it was the first time I’d ever been in one so I was so embarrassed anyway.
After walking past the shop so many times plucking up the courage to go in and have a look around I eventually did and got looking at Fleshlights, and after a while I decided to buy one.
I then waited until there was only one person at the counter before I went to pay for it, just after they served the person in front of me the girl on check out said that she would serve me in a few minutes which I was ok with.
But by now I noticed there was quite a few people stood behind me in the queue. As I was paying the cashier held the Fleshlight up in the air and shouted to the other girl who worked there who was at the other end of the shop Hey Jemma (or whatever her name was) this mans just bought this look, it’s good isn’t it? and then she explained to me how good they are just like the real thing.
I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me, and I’d never got out of a shop faster than I did then.

16 Likes

Jimmy, in one anecdote you have summed up the entire basis of Lovehoney’s business model: that there’s a planet full of people out there who would love to buy sex toys but would rather die than do so in a High St shop! :grin:

13 Likes

My daughter in law is Indian and shortly after her arrival in the UK, in Bristol to be precise, she needed to shop for underwear. Having no prior knowledge of such shops she was attracted by the window display of a well known High Street sex shop chain store. Once she’d entered she realised the nature of the shop and was then too afraid to leave in case she bumped into anyone from her workplace. I’m not sure how she eventually got back out.

6 Likes

Yes that’s exactly why I prefer to buy from Lovehoney

2 Likes

To be fair I’ve probably embarrassed more sex shop staff than the other way round. I have helped them get a few extra sales from other customers in store too so I never feel guilty. :joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

Yes :woman_facepalming: My husband took me shortly after we met to again the high street shop, after browsing we picked up a vibrator, read the back and discussed… along came another shopper- picked up the biggest dildo I’ve still seen in my life and loudly said “you need one of these bad boys, they get right up there” she laughed and walked off. I was so embarrassed but now I’d probably laugh :joy:

3 Likes

Wow , I guess I must have either confidence or my I do not care what others think attitude . The sex shops in the late 70s were all seedy and generally in a tough part of town . Multiple times I overheard a customer ask the young sales lady a question she could not answer and I helped with the customers questions . Was offered a job multiple times , but figured I would never get a paycheck because I would buy too much stuff .

3 Likes

Proof there is balance in the universe :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve only been to one with friends years ago but I never bought anything. I’ve only been in one once and I’d rather shop online on the Lovehoney website. On the website I can just look at stuff however long I want but in a sex shop I would feel rushed to get out of there incase one of the workers asked if I need help or whatever and if someone I knew saw me entering or coming out of the shop. I look so innocent and I’m quite shy so if anyone saw me, they’d tell everyone and word would get around. All my toys I’ve bought online and I want it to stay that way. Also the only sex toy shop is like 30 minutes away and every time I go to the city where it is at, my mum always comes with me so she can get out and stuff as she is elderly. She once found my condoms and didn’t even know what they were as she hadn’t used them in a long time and she always stays by my side when she is with me so I wouldn’t even get a chance to go there physically even if I wanted to. I feel like she would be horrified haha.

2 Likes

Not sure if it is embarrassing per se but I was made to feel pretty awkward. When I was still relatively new to toys, I went into the biggest branch I could find of a well known chain so I had more choice. I really wanted a toy that included an anal attachment to it but picked a few things and asked the assistant for advice and feedback on what was best. She instantly dismissed the one I was most interested in, effectively saying that anal is wrong!! She made me feel really silly for considering it and ended up talking me into a rabbit - which I absolutely hated and i still find them weird. It took quite a while for me to get the courage to buy anything anal related after that or talk to assistants in their stores!

Haha!! Oh dear :sweat_smile: I suppose we can guess the shop was Competitor?

6 Likes

Me and my partner went into probably the same store. We had only been together maybe 6 months at the time and were only just starting out with toys.

I’d gone to try some bras on and my partner was browsing the toys and had shown interest in an anal starter kit. The customer assistant approached him and I could hear her telling him in detail what she likes and is into and even how she uses poppers when doing anal I was horrified so I can’t imagine how he felt :flushed::joy:

I don’t mind people being open about their sex lives but to approach a stranger like that I thought was really embarrassing and unprofessional :grimacing:

3 Likes

Mine is how i embarrassed my mom!
A certain chain opened in our local town. There was a big feature in the local paper and my mom was talking about it. I’d just returned from a Christmas shopping trip and had bought my nephew a Star Wars light saber toy. I had opened it and put batteries in to make sure it worked.
As my mom was discussing the store opening and tutting, i said that coincidentally i’d just been and bought something. I then produced the light saber and with a flick of the wrist the plastic beam shot out illuminated and it made the famous sound! She nearly passed out!
Yes, i’m evil! :rofl:

11 Likes

I went to my local store when i turned 18 after walking past it multiple times i just made myself walk in.
Basic layout of underwear(mostly fetish), the rest of the floor, near the counter was sex toys and a stairway downstairs that led to the bdsm section which i was really interested in.

After looking at lots of whips, restraints and toys that were big enough to knock down walls, the shop assistant appeared behind me telling me how she owns one of the collars i was interested in and could recommend it.

I was super shy and i sort of just smiled and nodded until she went into the store room.
I was stunned and worried etc considering if i should just leave.
Before i could the door opened and she came back out, smiled at me (still holding the collar) and said “if you cant decide about it then i can help you try it on if you like”.
Stunned silence seemed to be an answer as she gently took it from me and placed it carefully around my neck, buckled it, smiled and said it suited me before heading back upstairs.
And yes, i bought it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Round here there is nothing, and i mean nothing. The inly option for me was one small highstreet shop that was basically cubbyhole sized (now gone so there is literally zero options down my way but online).
Went into town with my mother and we seperated to do different things. Plucked up the nerve to walk in, unfortunately the entire store was lile a fish tank due to its size. Everything bar one small corner was completely visible from the street due to the front being 100% window. Essentially nerves plus worrying said parent would walk past and spot me (because my luck is that bad) meant i scanned the shop, quickly realised i was way out my depth here and had no idea what i was looking at bar the rabbits. They had a tray of rocks off bullet vibes on the counter so i grabbed one, paid and left at high speed. Think i spent 5mins tops in there, and most of that was paying :laughing:

7 Likes

I’m not sure if we were embarrassed but we got told off for kissing while we were in a sex shop as it “wasn’t appropriate”.

We pointed out that they had a giant flat screen showing some very hardcore material behind us so kissing was pretty minor.

I miss sex shops.

4 Likes

They are still out there normally by the side of motorways . So I am told

I know one but it’s miles away. It’s more from the days when we could go out get drunk and then enjoy browsing in Soho’s finest. Not so much an option now!

2 Likes

I haven’t been down there for years @FindingLibido

1 Like

I do like taking friends and girlfriends into the sex shop to see if i can embarrass them :slight_smile:

After my gf had the handcuff experience with the shop assistant(same one i mentioned) she was looking at toys and started a discussion about various toys and recommendations which was funny to me.

We were heading downstairs when she stopped and stared at a curious object beside the counter. Helpful assistant noticed and grabbed its controller turning the power up rather quickly.
My poor gf didnt know what to do as this fuck machine with a 9" dildo springs to life with enough thrusting power that it almost hopped across the floor towards her.

The wide eyed nervous giggle was one thing but the way she squeezed my hand gave away how she was feeling hehe

1 Like