Headboard damage

So we are having to redecorate our bedroom due to a number of issues (including damp from our en-suite). We are hoping to raise the funds to do this over the next few months but until then I’m having to really think about what exactly we want to do.

Along with built in wardrobes and a new bathroom suite I’d like to get a new bed. I’ve just pulled our bed out today and have noticed that the wall behind the headboard is ruined. All the paint has come off from where the headboard has hit the wall over the years and it’s a mess.

Any top tips for headboards ? We are hoping to go for a wooden headboard and bed rather than fabric and the same in terms of flooring (wooden floors rather than carpet). This way everything is easier to keep clean and if damp should be an issue again I can clean without worrying about carpets etc.

Anyone else with a wooden floored bedroom ? Is it ok?

1 Like

I’d love a new bed myself, my cats have plucked at the base and its just a mess. But I have wooden floors, my bed has wheels and I’ve put the rubber coaster things under them so it doesn’t move. They really work though it does mean its a effort to move the bed to clean. The floor isn’t damaged from them.

1 Like

I’m currently decorating our bedroom and there is always gouge marks where the headboard hits the plaster walls and causes damage - bit of filler and all good as new

Just cannot wait until it’s completed- new carpet is so sexy

3 Likes

We go headboardless in our house to keep down noise and damage.

Instead of having a headboard attached to the bed could you have one attached to the wall? This is what I’m planning to do at some point.

4 Likes

I’d definitely go for a wooden floor or tiles too for easy cleaning!

Because of the en-suite we get damp , that causes foist/ mould. We are hoping to strip the whole room, build new inbuilt wardrobes (mirrored) then change the bed from a pleather cheap thing to a dark wood style sturdy frame with no under storage so it can air right underneath.

We then want to rip up all the carpet and put down light wood effect flooring which we can sweep and mop to keep clean. I’m hoping to paint the remaining walls in a very light grey (almost white) with one feature wall behind the bed.

Once all that is done we will rip out the en-suite, we want to redo all the pipe work and put in a nicer set and take the flooring through to match our room.

Our hope is that everything will then be wipeable, cleaner, and hopefully we won’t struggle with damp quite as much as we can clean more easily.

2 Likes

You plans sound very nice. Good luck with it all. We have the same problem and really have to work on it constantly.

1 Like

A wooden bed frame seems to have solved the problem for us, plus the design of the headboard allows restraints to be used.

1 Like

Same here. I want fairy lights in mine :blush:

3 Likes

Ooo fairy lights sounds so sweet. We, however, have decided to opt for a modern clean look so I doubt my other half would approve of fairy lights.

We got an IKEA bed that has a storage headboard that is seperate to the bed that fixes to the wall but not the bed, I put a few noise dampening bumper type things that I got from Lidl for like £2 between the headboard and bed and that works a treat

2 Likes

Exactly what we’re planning to do.

1 Like

I really like the sleigh bed look but so far everything I’m suggesting to my other half ends up in an argument.

1 Like

I love a sleigh bed, they give me cosy vibes. Tell him its 2 against 1 :wink:

2 Likes

Ever wondered why hotel headboards are fixed to the wall?
Our metal frame bed and headboard is screwed to the wall, note if you have laminate flooring and a lightweight bed/frame then it needs fixing down at each corner or it slides on the smooth floor surface very easily.

2 Likes

I decorated the bedroom last year and ripped up the carpet, due to being too busy due to circumstances, i didn’t get round to replacing the carpet for 5 months, i hated the bare floorboards. To me it’s much cosier and much less noisy with carpet.
As for the headboard, either have a separate one fixed to the wall, or attach some kind of buffer to the skirting board/headboard.

3 Likes

the only time i see the headboard is when i’m getting put through it lol

We have wooden floors, love it.

Looks great.

Our bed also is a big chunky wooden bed affair, the headboard does not move. It’s totally attached to the bed and has no wiggle whatsoever, so will never make contact with the wall.

As fair the ensuite moisture, you really need to consider air flow and ventilation. Is there a bathroom fan? Does it need another one, or a more industrial capacity unit? Are there windows / velux you can open? Can one be fitted? Not jsut in your bedroom, but also in the ensuite!

Air flows and moving the moisture rich air out is your solution here.

1 Like

Tell him we are getting a bunk bed, he will soon change his mind :joy:

1 Like