Help please... Best E Readers?!

Hey All :)

Any advice on E readers... Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc
Wanting to get one and pretty much know shag all about them

Best value for purchasing books?
Can they use downloaded books or different formats?
Store with most available books?
If a particular e reader can access another brands book store?
Any advice greatly appreciated

In my experience just a standard kindle is cheap and works perfectly fine. Amazon has a huge list of books and you can also use kindle unlimited subscription at about 7 quid per month to rent up to 10 books.

Ooh I haven't heard of their rental scheme! I've been told kobo is better.. See I don't care what it looks like just as long as I get books on ur and if I can't get the book I want in store, I want to be able to put on a downloaded copy on it

I use Kobo as you can put books you've downloaded from pretty much anywhere on it if you have them in the right format. I always had problems with Kindle only taking books from the kindle store. Kobo also send out massive vouchers on a regular basis (esp if your purchases are spaced out!).

You should also be able to rent books from your library :)

I love my kindle fire. This is my second one.

Don't want a tablet and that's basically what the fire is so not interested in it... :)

I have Kindle Paperwhite, I love it! I love that it doesn't do the glare thing, so it is just like reading a book when outside, and that I can have a very dim backlight on it for when it's dark so I can read in bed without the lights on. The backlight isn't hard on the eyes at all. Nothing like reading from a computer screen.

Kindle use .Mobi as the format, it does accept other books on there but it can sometimes mess up the format, you can use a progamme called Calibre that will change any format to any other format.

A lot of books are also available free for the kindle on Amazon.

Kindle! I had a sony one before and it broke so quickly (in a few months) and they wanted to charge me more than a new one would cost to fix it. I've had my kindle for years now. Amazon has loads of ebooks, a lot of them are free. You can also download any other books, and e-mail them to your kindle with "convert" in the heading and amazon will convert them for you and they'll be on your kindle...its really easy! I think Amazon have the best customer support too

FA, do u find it hard to zoom in, turn pages or highlighting words as it's all touchscreen.. I'm interested in the paper white, I think :)

Not at all, it is so simple and I've never had problems with highlighting anything. You click the top of the page that will bring down a menu, to ajust the brightness for the backlight, make the font larger/smaller, ect. To change the page you touch in the RH or LH side and that will take the page back or forward.

In the bottom left hand corner there is a time left until next chapter (This is usually really high until you've read a few chapters and it's calculated your average reading speed) I find that really useful for when I want to continue reading but know I only have 5minutes before I have to do something.

The battery lasts a long time. If you do get one I really advise getting one of the cases that Amazon sell they're about £20 but well worth it, I've dropped mine so many times (On marble floors) and never had a problem with it at all.

If you do get a kindle just email me and I have a TON of books. So if you're interested in any I'll email over the .mobi for it and you can just put it on your kindle. x

Do you have a problem with it though with the screen jamming due to smearing the screen being a touch screen.. It's my OH more than me asking these questions as he's done his "Google research" lol x

That would be great hun :) thank you x

Amazon are doing a kindle fire HDX, 16GB for just £99. It has £100 off for Black Friday! :)

Lollipop ;) wrote:

Amazon are doing a kindle fire HDX, 16GB for just £99. It has £100 off for Black Friday! :)

Oooh see now I want that... !

It's a brilliant deal, Really cheap.

Ya it's works out bout 130 euro for me.. I wonder how long the offer is on for...

It doesn't say sorry. But seeing as it's a Black Friday deal it will probably end on Friday at midnight.

I just use the kindle app on my tablet and phone .:-)

I have a Nook and love it, but don't use it as often as I'd like.

LittleSwitchBitch wrote:

Do you have a problem with it though with the screen jamming due to smearing the screen being a touch screen.. It's my OH more than me asking these questions as he's done his "Google research" lol x

That would be great hun :) thank you x

I've never had a problem with that at all hun. I've never had any problem with mine, it's response - does as it's told.