HELP PLEASE

Hello everyone

Could somebody help please, my wife and i bought and toy so we could both have fun with it (if you know what i mean), we have used it a couple of times but i has a really off putting smell about it. Does anyone know how to get rid of this smell

Thank you

Hello, there are a few factors which could be making your toy smell.

One it could be the material - did it smell when it first arrived?

Some toys smell because they haven't been left long enough prior to packing - due to the slip agents used in materials it is recommended they have a 24 hour conditioning time before being packed away. Slip agents seep out of certain plastics and kinda leave a sweaty texture on the toys surface. They are basically harmless, but any sweaty condition will make a product smell. Toys like real feel and fleshlights tend to have slip agents in them. I've written a post about slip agents the other day, just waiting for an email before I post it.

Next, does youyr toy contain phthalates? Phthalates are chemicals used to soften plastics. They are toxic and can cause cancer and possibily diabetes. They smell and sweat out of plastics.

Latex can have a rubbery smell.

Any product with pours can retain a smell for a longtime as it can be almost impossible to clean these typesa of products. It's best to avoid using strong smelling lubes and cleaner with them, esp. is you are sensative to certain chemicals too as some of the chemicals will become trapped within the pours, meaning upon your next use you may irritate an allergy if you are sensative to it - eg alchohol.

Materials that don't often smell are silicone, ABS plastic, glass and metal.

I will be wreiting a lot of posts about materials on my blog soon, I just need to check a lot of my facts, which I'm doing slowly =)

Hi

Yes it did smell as soon as we took it out of its packageing, i beleive it is made from latex but not sure. I was thinking of cleaning it with a wet wipe or something simular ?

ian1968 wrote:

Hi

Yes it did smell as soon as we took it out of its packageing, i beleive it is made from latex but not sure. I was thinking of cleaning it with a wet wipe or something simular ?

we could help you in a better way if we knew what you had purchased exactly then you will have a clearly way of using and caring for your purchase

Yes letting us know the product would help.

I've been reading about baby wipes and apparently some can react with certain materials. I still need to look into this more though.

flavoured lube can help block the smell

You can try that, but its not always possible to get rid of the smell. You can also leave it in open space to see if it helps. Useing soap etc can maybe also helped. but with the case of a toy I had it did not, unfortunately.

If it was bought from lovehoney, you can get the information on the product, including material and if it has phtalates on the product page. Which is very helpful. If you want to check.

If you bought from lovehoney they will take it back.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I had a toy that was really awful with a chemical smell and in the end I had to throw it out because I could not get the smell out and it was making the whole house stink and was giving me a headache! I think it contained pthalates - even though the packaging said it did not. The chemical smell was really bad.

Here are a few things that I tried in attempt to get rid of the smell that you could try.

Leaving it in a wide open space to 'air' the smell out.

Heating it up by using a hairdryer or in hot (not boiling) water. Make sure it isn't too hot or it may damage/melt the toy. But keep warming it up, then airing it in an open space to cool then keep repeating the process.

Put it in some clean wood shavings to absorb some of the smell.

Clean it using an anti-microbial sex toy cleaner or wipes. Don't use standard face wipes or other cleaning products.

Keep flexing the toy (if it is made from a flexable material) and bending it with out over straining it or causing damage. If the smell is due to a reaction when exposed to air, then it should help to get some of the smell out. Flexing it while warming it/having it cooling down should help.

Good luck!

I wouldn't advise this if it has chemicals such as phthalates, because flexing will release the gases which a. will make the plastic become firmer and b. you can inhale the gases which means they'll get into your lungs - which is even worse if you suffer with asthma.

Hey A_A

There's a lack of human evidence due to it being tricky to find people willing to take part in something so dangerous.

There's other toxic chemicals found in sex toys which also produce a stick, smelly, substance. And many that produce no smells or stickiness - plastic dyes, plating, and more.

Some of these things can be a lot worse than phthalates.

I'm working with a lot of companies outside of the sex industry as well as inside, to work out what is 100% body safe.... it has even boiled down to silicone not even being safe when it hasn't been left to be cured fr the correct time etc.

Really it's scarey.

I was chatting with a few researchers too about low progestin levels in female rats led to infertility due to contact with phthalates. These studies really interested me, as I, have tested at least 100 phthalate filled sex toys and recently found out that I have an adnormally low progestin levels which can't be explained via blood testing and things. The professionals I chatted with said phthalates could be the cause, but there's sadly no way of telling now as I have no solid evidence about my progestin levels before using these toys, how often I used these toys, and the level of phthalates in each toys.

I'd also like to note that toys with phthalates aren't regulated, a company can whack as many of them into a product as they like and sell it as an adult products. Where as phthalates are regulated in childrens toys where you are only allowed to sell, make, import toys containing 0.1% at most as these products could become in contact with childrens mouths.

When you think about it, anything toxic doing in contact with vagina also has easier access into the blood stream and will miss the filtration process too - a lot of toxic chemicals are filtered out via the liver before going into the blood stream.

Anyway there is a lot of evidence about how bad phthalates are and recently there have been a few human based studies involving diabetics as phthalates could be a factor in causing the onset of type 2, but it's again tricky, as diabetics are more likely to be incontact with phthalates due to certain medical equipment.

But yes they really shouldn't be used, and regulations do need to happen, but sadly these will take a long time.

Ah and before I forget, sex toys are designed to only be used 15 mins at most at a time - even silicone toys.

Ones which are safe for longer use are silver products, stainless steel, and maybe glass - I'm still learning about glass. Some stones are safer than plastics too.

I am glad I got rid of any jelly toy I ever owned only after very brief time. Now my toys are either silicone, ABS plastic, glass or in one case metal. So I am hoping I am sort of on the safer side of using toys. But it is worrying that some companies may not be putting this information on their products.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Hey Nymph. I think your post has scared me!!

Definately stuff that is worth reading in to and learning more about.

Your last sentance there makes me wonder on ceramic material as I have a ceramic dildo. However I would guess it would be nullified since it is painted and glazed...

Must learn more about these things. Interesting indeed, but in a scary sort of way!

Now I could go into ceramics a bit.

I think I'll leave it for now. They are mostly safe.

I forgot about aluminum and titanium metals tend to be safe too.

The problem is, there are so many allergy inducing materials as well as toxic chemicals that just shouldn't be used in products. I understand that that if the world stopped using products like these, then we will actually have a very limited supply of resources. Instead, I feel regulations need to be placed on some materials, and educational resources need me be there, so people can then make-up their own minds. Also, I feel there needs to be more information about allergies and sex toys, as sometimes people can spend ages working out what they are allergic to, and just a little guide can help them, esp. when going to a doctor for testing etc.

Can anyone advise me if the tracey cox supersex mini vibe if the ears move or if its just vibrations please or suggest a goof mini rabbit vibe