How can you get rid of a new dildo's plastic smell?

I have bought a couple of dildos from LH that have really strong rubber/plastic smells which I can't get rid of. The toys look and feel great but they smell and taste horrible. I've tried bathing them, essential oils, using them a lot but it isn't working. Does anyone have any suggestions or found anything that works?

What materials are your dildos made from?

depends on what materials they are. Fleshlight type sex toys, need to be washed and left to stand for a few hours, the smell of chemicals is the releasing agent.

The same can be said about silicone sex toys, esp strap ons or realistic looking dildos.

BUT if they are not silicone, or of a pure material, then the smell can linger and this is usually a cause from a sex toy being made from a porous material.

As has been said, depending on the material there might not be much you can do. It usually does wear off eventually though and I can only suggest continued washing with the LH sex toy cleaner, which might help. This is one of the reasons that I tend to steer clear of porous materials and usually go for silicone/glass/metal.

Are you refering to the Crystal Jelly toy you reviewed? That's just the way they are I'm afraid. They are pretty full of chemicals and so they will smell like it!

They store bacteria really easilly as they are porous so using oil on them would be pretty bad for them...and putting them in your mouth is pretty bad for you in that respect!

I've found i just have to soak them for abit then give them a good rub down before you use them :) the smell fades, don't fret <3

We had the same issue with some toys, especially with jelly. We haven't found a way to solve the problem, but you can wait and leave it to air. Generally the smell is caused by substances that evaporate from your toy, you can't do nothing because the problem is not on it, but inside it!

We bought this: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=6456 and after some month it has lost his smell. Meanwhile we used condoms on it. :)

The only suggestion that we can give you is to not use essential oils, chemicals or other things except soap and water. You can ruin your toys!

As others have said, it pretty much depends on the matieral of the toy.

If it is a jelly toy then you're not going to get rid of the smell. The jelly is made up of chemical compounds, these are breaking up which releases the smell. Eventually the jelly will break down all together. I.e the toy will get tacky, and begin to melt; regardless of how well it is cleaned after/before use.

The same can happen with rubber toys too.

I would suggest getting toys made from non porous materials, such as silicone, glass, metal. Yes these toys are generally slightly more expensive than the jelly, however with proper care they can last a life time, they can be steralised and you won't get that awful smell.

Lovehoney actually has quite a few of their own branded silicone dildos which are priced decently. x

I have some Doc Johnson dildos and they are the worst for the rubber smell, had them months and the smell is still there. I don't use them on myself, but my sub and just use condoms over them.

I prefer silicone toys for myself, no smell at all with these and non-porus, so they're body safe.

I purchased some jelly/silicone attchments for my Hitachi a while back. OMG they really smelled bad! They refused to take them back so I ended up chucking them.

They did not come from LH

I have one of the large jelly dildos from LH and there is only a very light smell to it, due to its material. I have seen the renewer powder on LH and its a very good product. I second frozen Angel, the silicone dildos are really good

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I have some Doc Johnson dildos and they are the worst for the rubber smell, had them months and the smell is still there. I don't use them on myself, but my sub and just use condoms over them.

I prefer silicone toys for myself, no smell at all with these and non-porus, so they're body safe.

This! The one Doc Johnson dildo I have (blush UR3) is the absolute worst for the smell! So much so that I very rarely use it now, and never without a condom.

Thank you for your replies, it's the Basix Realistic Slim 7 Inch Dildo I have the problem with, I gave up on the Doc Johnson dildo. This 7 " one doesn't smell as bad but don't want to use a condom either as they smell too.

NaughtyBob wrote:

Thank you for your replies, it's the Basix Realistic Slim 7 Inch Dildo I have the problem with, I gave up on the Doc Johnson dildo. This 7 " one doesn't smell as bad but don't want to use a condom either as they smell too.

If I am honest, neither or them are 100% body safe, meaning that they are porous, basix brands are terrible for their porous products, doc johnson may not be as bad, less porous in them but still are porous materials, which in the end, both will still have that lingering smell

NaughtyBob wrote:

I hate condom smell, have you tried Pasante ones? I've found they aren't anywhere near as bad as others. I'm looking at you, Durex! *shudders*

NaughtyBob wrote:

I have bought a couple of dildos from LH that have really strong rubber/plastic smells which I can't get rid of. The toys look and feel great but they smell and taste horrible. I've tried bathing them, essential oils, using them a lot but it isn't working. Does anyone have any suggestions or found anything that works?

Rubber has a natural smell that goes over time. You can speed the loss up by washing it with soap and water, and leaving to air as much as possible. There is only so much you can do though...

I have a basix jelly rubber one i bought over 6 months ago, any time i go in the drawer it's kept in i get that smell, but then it's only been attempted to use twice, so its only been washed a few times.

Haha dildos eh, the only thing I can think of where you can't wait to get rid of the new smell, new dildo smell no!! New car smell yes!! Lol

Put through the dishwasher, then leave out in free air as long as you can, just so long as no one finds them!

Quiet ones are worse! wrote:

Put through the dishwasher, then leave out in free air as long as you can, just so long as no one finds them!

Good suggestion, tho it don't have a dishwasher at the mo, can imagine asking my parents if I can put it through there's. What about a low temp setting in the washing machine? Has anyone tried that?

i think a washing machine would damage, possibly even melt it if it's too hot. At the very least it's going to get bashed about, the holes for water drainage could end up having a cheese grater effect, which won't do your toy or machine any good. You could try putting it in a toy bag and in a full wash, for more protection but again it could still melt or react with the detergent.