How to clean sex toys

I'm getting my first big vibrator soon (I ordered it a few days ago) and I wanted to know how to clean it properly.Is it just soap and water, or a cleanser I have to buy?

Here's the toy if you need a reference:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33437

Lovehoney do their own sex toy cleaner, I use it everytime I clean my toys and they are all in pristine condition despite seeing a lot of use.

I dont know if normal soaps would damage the material or even irratate your lady parts the next time you come to use the toy?

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25004

This one, a little goes a long way, I bought it almost a year ago and still have some left!

I have a toy similar to that when i wash it after use i run it under a hot tap get the gunk off spritz some toy cleaner on it then rinse it off. standard soap may cause internal irritation or infections. i would only use a small amount ordinary soap on non porous toys

Yes, I can't recommend the LH toy cleaner enough. You can use soap and water, but be very careful with the amount of soap. It's not really something you want "left overs" from inside yourself.

DeepBlueKisses wrote:

I'm getting my first big vibrator soon (I ordered it a few days ago) and I wanted to know how to clean it properly.Is it just soap and water, or a cleanser I have to buy?

Here's the toy if you need a reference:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33437

Hey DeepBlueKisses!

Washing your toy with hot soapy water is usually just fine, but for extra safety you can always spritz with an antibacterial sex toy cleaner too. 

You might like to check out the Buyers Guide section of our site, as I think there will be a lot of handy information in there for you.

Here are a few I think you'll find particularly useful:

How to Clean Sex Toys

How to Store Sex Toys

Guide to Sex Toy Materials

Enjoy! 

I never invested in a sex toy cleaner, for some reason they are giving me the idea of being "cover ups" rather than "clean ups" such as antibacterial hand gels are, I think they just cover up the “dirt” rather than washing it away even if they do sanitize the toy. This is why I only buy waterproof toys, so I can clean them under hot tap water. I always use my antibacterial (liquid) intimate wash as a soap to clean them, rinse them off properly and let them air dry on a clean towel. Than store each toy in its own (previously machine washed) satin storage bag. I also normally rewash them before using again.

I’ve noticed your toy being waterproof too, so you can just clean it with water and soap. I also noticed it is made of rubber, so be careful not to store it with other rubber-y like materials as the chemical reactions will damage them.

Enjoy!

Thank you! I'll check out the cleaner :) thank you for the links!

era wrote:

I never invested in a sex toy cleaner, for some reason they are giving me the idea of being "cover ups" rather than "clean ups" such as antibacterial hand gels are, I think they just cover up the “dirt” rather than washing it away even if they do sanitize the toy. This is why I only buy waterproof toys, so I can clean them under hot tap water. I always use my antibacterial (liquid) intimate wash as a soap to clean them, rinse them off properly and let them air dry on a clean towel. Than store each toy in its own (previously machine washed) satin storage bag. I also normally rewash them before using again.

I’ve noticed your toy being waterproof too, so you can just clean it with water and soap. I also noticed it is made of rubber, so be careful not to store it with other rubber-y like materials as the chemical reactions will damage them.

Enjoy!

But you use water both before and after the sex toy cleaner, though, so everything gets washed properly away. I just feel it's safer to use sex toy cleaner instead of normal soap as it's disinfecting and body-safe =) But I suppose intimate wash would do much the same =)

I have a similar toy and here is how I clean it:

Rinse with warm water, spray with sex toy cleaner, rinse again, spray with cleaner again and wipe dry with a clean towel.

When I take my toys back out of the storage bag to use I then give them a little rince before applying lube.

I personally prefer to sex toy cleaner because I know it is anti bacterial and wont harm the surface (this one is a softer surface one) . Also make sure you store it properly to avoid potential damage.

Congrats on your first vibrator!

I think the se toy cleaner is the best way to go, so I'll check it out. Thanks everyone for the advice!

GeekyEleanor, please come to the rescue!

I would be very interested in what you use, given that you understand what's in a sex toy cleaner and what's in a soap/intimate wash/shampoo/whatever as they all seem to have more or less the same ingredients! I also read every label carefully before buying, but I don't always know what they mean (I just know from learning it like a parrot that some things are bad for you, and the rest is even worse). :)