How to keep your personal life private at work

I hate talking about my private life to people, plus I'm a bit shy so sometimes I can come across as shy, unfriendly, a pissy bitch.

Some girls I work with try and get me out of my shell by asking me personal questions, the kind of questions my mates don't even ask me.

She'll ask me questions like do you speak to your dad and step mum often when I say not much they ask me questions like how long haven't you spoken to them, why don't you speak to them. Or ask me is the reason why you don't have a bf is because you are a control freak

I try and deflect her answers by saying look, I'm really busy now or laugh at what she asks me

I either need to grow some balls and ask her to stop or stop being grumpy and be friendly

I have the same problem with shyness being taken for unfriendliness so I sympathise. While it's nice that your colleagues seem to want to interract, I think you should tell them when this comes up that you don't want to talk about certain things and would rather talk about something else instead.

I have been guilty of having a big mouth at work and it just does not pay !

the most fun thing to do is lie ! talk bollocks and laugh away to yourself at how gullable people can be !

my worst problem is trying to keep my mouth shut i get so excited sometimes of things that i am doing and having these very smirky cheesy grin but i cant say anything due to the nature of my work so i can understand where you are coming from but at the same i still need to not say anything

ive always been honest with the people i work with .. if they dont like it then sod em .

It can be difficult, especially as people will think you are bieng anti-social if you dont talk about your private life.

I have learnt to tell people as much as you want them to know. Working in a male dominated environment you wouldnt believe just how much men like a good bitch and moan! Oh and news travels fast, extremely fast where I am!

So my advice would be tell people what you are comfortable telling them and as said above just be honest.

GTID wrote:

It can be difficult, especially as people will think you are bieng anti-social if you dont talk about your private life.

I have learnt to tell people as much as you want them to know. Working in a male dominated environment you wouldnt believe just how much men like a good bitch and moan! Oh and news travels fast, extremely fast where I am!

So my advice would be tell people what you are comfortable telling them and as said above just be honest.

The men in my office are cool. I'm a football and F1 fan so we just talk about that but the ladies are a diffrent story some of them seem like they chat just for the sake of chatting