How to make PVC shine

Hi folks,

I got my pvc dress yesterday that I ordered http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=19052 I love it ;-) and I also bought some shiner for it http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=81 I have tried the shiner and it doesnt seem to make any difference ;-( I have put a thin layer on, buffed it with a cloth, put several layers on , but one big thick layer on and let it dry etc but after about 5 layers of spray and lots of buffing you cant see any difference compared to the rest of the dress that hasnt been touched.

What am I doing wrong? i really wanted the wet look as in the picture but i am not even getting it a little bit shiney ;-(

Well for a start the dress you ordered is latex rather than pvc, so if you are using a PVC cleaning product it's no surprise it's not working. I couldn't see the product you linked to because the page 404-ed on me. With latex rubber items it takes a soft cloth, a good product, love, patience and elbow grease.

Hi,

I have accumulated a large collection of designer Latex (& PVC) outfits and dresses over the years and have used, tried and tested a huge number of latex "shiners", all that have been quite expensive, in small bottles coupled with mediocre results.

The best latex shiners I have found are to be purchased from believe it or not.......automotive stores like Halfords!.....yes Halfords! The one I use at the moment is called AmorAll Protectant Gloss Finish. It comes in a 500ml spray bottle, so there is plenty to last a good few applications......and the finish is absolutely fantastic!! It is available on the Halfords website and was £5.99 the last time I purchased some. I have found it easier to apply using a sponge as opposed to a cloth. If you use a cloth it is imperative that you use a "lint" free cloth otherwise you will end up with loads of fluffy white bits on your latex outfit when applying the latex shiner.

I would also add that by using the "shiner" and because it is a silicone based product it will stain anything it comes into contact with especially other clothing. It can be removed but it is difficult as it is a water proof product. In addition it is always wise to remove any shiner application by washing your latex garment after use as if it is left on the garment for a period of time it leaves a sticky residue on you latex item which will attract dust and fluff.

I hope this information helps

"T"

Another vote for Silicone Lube and using your hands... partly because it works a treat, but also because it doesn't matter if it finds it's way into fun, intimate areas.

'Shining up' your OH can be a real turn on, and lubey hands are always fun :)

Lovehoney - Hella wrote:

Spray shiner works out as being so expensive, plus you gas yourself spraying a whole outfit and need to do it in a room free from fabric and hard/tiled/lino floors to avoid stains and accidents.

Silicone lube is much more economical and produces a better result than spray, most models, photographers and designers I know traded in their spray for lube back in the mid-2000's. It is also an option though, just don't expect to shine a full outfit more than 3 times with a spray can compared to 9 or 10 times with a bottle of silicone lube.

Hella, I have to agree with you on the silicone spray shiner, inparticular the Aerosol type.

The product I referred to in my previous post is not a aerosol but a trigger spray bottle. I normally decant a small amount into a plastic cup and use a small sponge to apply to small areas (straps etc) and the spray nozzle for larger areas. The aforementioned product is sold in 300ml finger pump spray bottles too as well as "no fuss" impregnated wipes in a tub.

In 500ml size there is a no more economical product on the market than"AmorAll" rubber shiner/protectant. A 500ml trigger spray bottle will shine up in excess of 20 applications to a mid length latex dress and cost only £5.99 where as a bottle of decent Silicone lube will cost upwards of £12.00.

Thats the one!.....500ml

If you input "AmorAll" into the search bar of the Halfords website the entire AmorAll product list is shown. In particular the products that I mentioned earlier....i.e 300ml finger pump spray and the wipes.

It is a white liquid that is not glupy like lube, which may be its downside on virtical applications and the reason why decant it into a plastic cup and apply it with a sponge. It has virtually no aroma although there are manufacturers of a similar product that has a citrus smell. Above all it does a brilliant job of shining latex at a fantastic price!

Thanks guys I will have a look in halfords and also try the lube trick and see what works best for me....

This is great, cheers, will be helpful for us soon :)

I would recommend trying one of these

http://www.honour.co.uk/pjur-cult-dressing-aid-100ml.php

http://www.honour.co.uk/pjur-cult-ultra-shine-250ml.php

1 Like

Hi , I just thought i would let you know how i got on incase there was any other latex novices out there that might be interested.

I tried using the shine spray i bought without a cloth and it was better just using my hands, then i tried the dash board gloss from Halfords, with a sponge ( and with just hands ) that was better again but still not as shiney as i wanted ( but at least my car looks really clean and shiney now ;-) . Tonight i tried silicone lube and it was brilliant, really shiney wet look and i just rubbed it on with my hands so easy too. ;-)

so shiny car and dress now