I think I found an easy solution for bad smells on silicone sex toys

Couple of days ago I read a thread where people complained about a bad smell coming from their silicone toys, most of all those used for anal play. Well, I think I found a creative and cheap solution.

White vinegar.

Before any of you starts wondering about my mental health, I swear, it works. I tried on mine. My plug retained a faint but yet present bad odour and I decided to try something. Tried a simple grandmother's trick and it worked wonders.

1/3 of a cup of white vinegar (not pure, I'm not sure what acids could do to the toy so I decided to start with a watered down solution) and 2/3 of warm water. Let them soak for about half an hour, any bad smell will be wiped away by the acetic acid inside the vinegar. Alright, they'll retain a bit of a vinegar smell, but once you rinse it and give it a good wash with a bland soap, like the one you use for your hands, it should go away. And it's always better than the poop smell. You can also let them out and air dry for a while, the smell of vinegar will go away as soon as the acetic acid evaporates.

I think even lemon juice could work the same, with the same proportions, but I ran out of lemons and I couldn't try.

I think I'll give this a go. Thanks for the tip!

Subdom27 wrote:

I think I'll give this a go. Thanks for the tip!

+1 - thanks !

With my plug it worked really well. Let me know if it works even for you.

I should really try this! Thanks

Vinegar is a great solution. The smells are cause by improper cleaning and not fully sanitizing your toys which vinegar is good for (I use it while cleaning my kitchen) or you can do by wiping it down with a weak bleach solution (if it's pure silicone and not a vibrator with mechanical parts, boiling also works.)

missmhithrha wrote:

Vinegar is a great solution. The smells are cause by improper cleaning and not fully sanitizing your toys which vinegar is good for (I use it while cleaning my kitchen) or you can do by wiping it down with a weak bleach solution (if it's pure silicone and not a vibrator with mechanical parts, boiling also works.)

That's where I got the idea, because my grandmother uses vinegar to clean the kitchen and most of all the fridge and freezer, and it takes away all the bad smells. I'm kind of sure lemon juice works too, but the citric acid concentration in lemon juice is higher than the acetic acid concentration vinegar, so I'm not exactly sure on the outcome. Silicone has low chemical interactions and it should be fine, but you never know.

Thats a fab tip going to trip it thanks x

Assuming non vibrating toys, then put your toys through the dishwasher, it's good enough for babies bottles so should be OK for toys too.

Good ol' grandma!

Thanks for the tip

Thanks for this I'm going to try it today :)

I can recommend the same treatment for limescale blocked shower heads and car windscreen wiper blades

There's always the "Mythbusters" cleaning method(good for bad feet too), Vodka! it really does work, but then it's 40% alcohol 60% water, silicone is very resistant to chemicals so you can be fairly rough with what you wash them with just make sure you rinse them fully and dry correctly.

Quiet ones are worse! wrote:

There's always the "Mythbusters" cleaning method(good for bad feet too), Vodka! it really does work, but then it's 40% alcohol 60% water, silicone is very resistant to chemicals so you can be fairly rough with what you wash them with just make sure you rinse them fully and dry correctly.

I think I'll snatch some ethanol from the lab next time I'm down there, that will clean pretty much everything XD