In growing hair

100% a product called Tend Skin. I've never found it in the shops, only online, but it was recommended in a magazine article that I saw a few years ago and has made a huge difference for me. Never got ingrown hairs on legs or underarms but intimate areas all the time even following the shaving advice of others above. Use this after shaving and no problems since.

....does sting a bit but only briefly and it's made such a difference that's it's very worth it!

Both my wife and I use an exfoliating washcloth to get rid of any deadskin every time we bath. Many ingrown hairs are do to the hairs getting stuck under the dead skin layers. Just wanted to add to a lot of the good suggestions here.

That is a good suggestion Ms D!

I remember this being recommended quite a bit a while back:

Soothing Miracle Oil https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=17921

Yup, all the time. I have professional wax before, week later hair starts in growing. Shave myself, hair ingrown. My Mrs is a picker, so she picks me with tweezers and an alcohol spray

I find a hot shower. And a good scrub. And shave with a Philips one blade. Rinse off. Quick wash with soap. And a bit of baby powder.

I suffer with ingrown hairs all the time on my face, for this reason I've only ever used a close trim on by nether regions! For face shaving I've found more blades actually caused more problems (not uncommon), so much so that I started using a "traditional" double edged razor with shaving soap and brush. A better shave a much less irritation and fewer ingrown hairs. I also echo some of the above posts about pre and post care,just try a few methods and see what works for you!