In UK it is a pussy, in America it is a beaver

Has anyone else wondered the origin of the terms ‘pussy’ or ‘beaver’ when used as slang terms for female genitalia???

3 Likes

One theory for Pussy is that it comes from a similar sounding old Norse word which meant puss which was a pocket or pouch.

Beaver comes from the 1800 when prostitutes used to shave to prevent crabs and wold then wear a pubic wig, often made of beaver pelt.

I’m not fond of either term but have always been interested in entomology!

6 Likes

Very interesting, id always wondered too.

(Just out of curiosity, what term do you prefer?)

1 Like

Hmm :thinking: good question, I don’t find many terms for female genitalia particularly flattering, usually I would say stick to the medically correct terms, clit etc but I appreciate that’s not particularly sexy, I suppose I don’t mind lips or something like that or flower or perhaps button :rofl: (I get that those a bit twee though!) Need to find that thread of names again and remind myself :rofl:

1 Like

Ive always wondered where the name “john thomas” comes from for the penis.

@AmyA yeah, not keen on most of them either. Im ok with pussy. But the rest of them just don’t have good mental images attached for me.

1 Like

Something to do with a person named John Thomas, 1700’s, who was said to be well endowed.

2 Likes

One of the main characters in Lady Chaterleys Lover and also a welsh poet from the 1700’s as @DanceswithPenguins has said

2 Likes

Haha!! Never heard of beaver before but some people even call lady bits a muff!

1 Like

Somewhere to warm your hands then? :joy:

I haven’t heard the term ‘muff’ for a long time. Maybe something to do with the falling popularity of pubic hair.

1 Like

Atleast no one calls it a platypussy, i hope haha.

Better a beaver than a possum, or a skunk :hushed:

Yeah nowadays it’s just diving!

Hahaha it makes me giggle cause whenever I hear the term muff I picture that video of the panda sneezing and it’s muffy bit pops out or might have been a baby :joy:

1 Like

Could be although muff does make me think of hairy fuzz lol

Twat is another one used down under, no idea on origins, also fanny (which gives a whole new meaning when Americans go on about a fanny pack)

1 Like

Twat is a word more associated with an insult where i am from. Pussy beats Beaver for me, the latter just doesnt sound like an attractive word. But maybe thats just because i am not as used to it.

American here . I think pussy has been in use much longer and beaver started more recently . The other terms are sprinkled occasionally . Several of them are frowned upon by some women . Not sure how many people other than here ever watched or heard of a tv show called the Partridge Family ? 1970-1974 . Anyway one of the younger cast , Danny Bonaduce is a DJ on our local Classic Rock station and his co-host Sara has a segment called “Where has Sara’s beaver been?” . She has a stuffed beaver and takes it with her too different bars and taverns around the area . If you call in and can name the place , prizes are awarded . Still cracks me up when I hear them announce it , a nice play on words .

3 Likes

Yeah watched The Partridge Family over here around that time! :joy:

I’ve never heard a British person say pussy, I always thought that was an American thing. I hear minge, flange, muff, fanny or vag more often.

I’m in the UK and old…fanny and pussy are the most common I have heard used.
Guess it’s also whereabouts in the UK you live too.

1 Like