Is coconut oil safe for my "toys" ?

So like a lot of people me and the hubby like to use coconut oil as lube instead of the synthetic types. It lasts longer, tastes great and contains no chemicals. A great discovery.

So my question is, given we are quite new to "toys" ..... is it safe to use with the rubber/silicone/laytex toys ?? Obviously its fine with metal/glass etc but I dont want to ruin my new toys lol

Not safe to use with latex. Also increases risk of infections. I would recomend using all water based lube as it's the only thing that's safe for everything http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/brands/sliquid/?w=Sliquid Sliquid is all natural and vegan friendly, there is nothing synthetic in the bottle and no nasties to damage you or your toy.

We've started using it and really enjoy it.

We've used it with rubber toys and so far so good and no problems with the toys.

YoungandFun95 - when you say it increases the risk of infection would you mind explaining how?

Thanks

I've used coconut oil for years with my silicone toys and had no issues at all, but I'd advise doing a patch test initially on any toys you do want to use it on - you don't want to slather them in the stuff and have them unexpectedly react.

Wouldn't mind trying coconut oil. Just wondered what infections you are at risk from. Would it be UTI's?

Hi piranha, I have just done some research on this as I was curious myself, and it looks like coconut oil is safe to use with high quality silicone, glass, ceramic & metal, but would not be compatible with latex, PR, TPE, jelly, rubber, latex, vinyl, or PVC.

It would be best to use a good quality water based lube for those products. I agree with Y&F's recommendation of Sliquid, as I personally use either the Sliquid range of lubes or the LH Anal Lube, as I have sensitive skin and these are free from parabens and glycerine and are not sticky at all - you can also reactivate these with water during use. I personally use Sliquid Sassy for anal play and Sliquid H20 for everything else:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=11373

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=11369

The LH own brand Anal Lube, is also a brilliant all rounder, and again not sticky at all :

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=28339

I couldn’t find anywhere that said coconut oil increases the risk of infections, I actually found a few articles that said coconut oil can actually help prevent yeast infections and actually help to clear them up?

Hope this all helps xx

Thanks for the research Scorpius x

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Thanks for the research Scorpius x

:D xx

Yes I have read in articles about coconut oil helping prevent yeast infections. It also has natural anti bacterial properties. Personally we both use it daily as an all over body moisturiser, and is great to use after hair removal whether its shaving or waxing.

Oil based lubes can't be used with anything containing latex it weakens the integrity of it, and supposedly increases the risk of yeast and urine infections it creates a barrier that traps in what ever causes the infection from what i've read Coconut oil doesn't cause increased risk of infection. if you are looking for a natural waterbased alternative System JO organic http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=31211 is virtually 100% natural

Coconut oil is actually really good for intimate areas, but be careful with the toys Scorpius listed above :)

MrsMcX wrote:

Coconut oil is actually really good for intimate areas, but be careful with the toys Scorpius listed above :)

I never knew this, *runs off to buy some*

Weird I read something saying it hangs around and harbours bacteria, more have found stuff contradicting so I'd go with them.

Okay, I am basing this on research I have done myself online and not being told from the source, but I think the confusion over safety comes down to the fact that many people recommend avoiding oil based lubricants for use in and around the vagina. However, they are speaking generally and are aiming their distain at oil bases made up from mineral oils (parrafin/petroleum) which is an ingredient said to coat and suffocate the delicate mucous membranes of the vagina, causing potentially more infections or irritations (such as UTI, yeast infection, PH imbalance etc)

Coconut oil is a natural oil, which tends to soak into the skin better and not suffocate or irritate the membranes.

So everybody is right...sometimes oil based lubes are bad, but sometimes they can be good too.

I personally have a great big jar of coconut oil and my go-to oil based lube to purchase is Yes oil based.(It is so amazing! and the company have a lot of info on the ingredients they use and why they chose them, to avoid damaging or irritating the vagina) I have never experienced any irritation with either.

Fluffbags wrote:

Okay, I am basing this on research I have done myself online and not being told from the source, but I think the confusion over safety comes down to the fact that many people recommend avoiding oil based lubricants for use in and around the vagina. However, they are speaking generally and are aiming their distain at oil bases made up from mineral oils (parrafin/petroleum) which is an ingredient said to coat and suffocate the delicate mucous membranes of the vagina, causing potentially more infections or irritations (such as UTI, yeast infection, PH imbalance etc)

Coconut oil is a natural oil, which tends to soak into the skin better and not suffocate or irritate the membranes.

So everybody is right...sometimes oil based lubes are bad, but sometimes they can be good too.

I personally have a great big jar of coconut oil and my go-to oil based lube to purchase is Yes oil based.(It is so amazing! and the company have a lot of info on the ingredients they use and why they chose them, to avoid damaging or irritating the vagina) I have never experienced any irritation with either.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there with the confusion.

Avoid Vaseline for example as lube!

Myself and O/H love using Coconut oil as a lube for both sex toys and fore play and we havent had a problem. Go for it and enjoy it.

Just wanted to bump this because me and my last partner were using coconut oil quite a lot. And now I'm wondering if it's safe on silicone toys. And it seems it is! I get through so much of it (in food; replacing cosmetics etc) it makes sense to save money on lube where I can. And I have water-based lube for those toys that need it, or condoms.

It's really hard to get out of the bed sheets though!

Fluffbags wrote:

I personally have a great big jar of coconut oil ....

No experience with coconut oil whatsoever.

But generally, I don't use "great big jars" of anything that I scoop out with my fingers (which are never sterile), I'm too afraid of introducing bacteria etc. into the product. I may buy a big jar, but then I remove some into a smaller jar and work from that until it's empty. Then the small jar gets sterilized and filled again.