Is Cornflour Safe?

I've read & heard that using cornflower extends the life of sex toys and makes them "feel better for longer" but is it safe?

It looks like it gets clumpy when wet and some toys will become 'wet' when used so I don't want any clumpy bits getting into places that I wouldn't want :p

I use cornflour on my real-feel toys and it works perfectly fine (Fleshlight, Blow-Yo, Thrust Masturbator). The 'renewer powder' you can buy is just cornflour (aka cornstarch), so I save myself a few quid and just use a supermarket pack.

You only need a light dusting so it generally doesn't clump up. And even if it does you can just brush it off or smooth it away. 👍

Cornflower is usually recommended for fleshlights, male masturbators etc. It is basically the same as using fleshlight renewer and similar powders. We've never had an issue with it getting clumpy during use, possibly because you don't need to apply a large quantity (and you can shake out any excess).

However, I'll let more experienced members or the LH staff give some more solid information and advice on this. =)

Just be sure to use cornflour and not a cornflower. 🙂👍

[edit] it posted twice for some reason

Oops hehe yeah I meant cornflour* I wasn't sure what the correct name of it was. I've read that certain jelly based toys like dildos really benefit from the stuff. I guess renewing powder is the same thing so it'd work either way. I'm just paranoid that I might use too much then when I go to use a toy it'll start clumping little bits together and the idea of that is quite off putting

SilkySarah wrote:

Oops hehe yeah I meant cornflour* I wasn't sure what the correct name of it was. I've read that certain jelly based toys like dildos really benefit from the stuff. I guess renewing powder is the same thing so it'd work either way. I'm just paranoid that I might use too much then when I go to use a toy it'll start clumping little bits together and the idea of that is quite off putting

Have a few practice goes and see how you get on. 🙂 It washes off really easily so you won't do any permanent damage. I lightly sprinkle it on and then rub it in a bit, then knock off any excess. It really makes a difference to the feel of my Fleshlight. 👍

I've just had a quick squizz at the guide section to see if that had anything to say about jelly-based toys as we don't actually own any (we've mainly got glass dildos and silicone vibrators for the Her toys, and real-feel for the Him toys). Under the jelly sections in these two it doesn't specifically say you need to cornflour them, but there's a bit under the real-feel section about needing to use cornflour or renewer powder on those. I don't think it'll harm the jelly in any way to dust them, but it may not be as beneficial as using it on the real-feel toys.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/how-to-clean-sex-toys/

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/sex-toy-materials-phthalates-rubber-silicone/

Alicia4Ever wrote:

I would not be keen on using it for a dildo that would be inserted into your vag, unless you wash it off before you us it. dildos will not need it anyway, ( I have never owned a jelly dildo so I can't comment on those benifiting from it. )

All it does is get rid of the sticky surface of some male masturbators after they have been washed, to stop then turning into an awful fluff magnet between uses.

I think it's for all real-feel toys? This cyber-skin dildo recommends to dust it with cornflour/renewer, for instance. It does make it less sticky, but I find it also keeps it feeling more 'real'.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=39124

Alicia4Ever wrote:

Right, I only use glass steel or silicone. though I have had a TPE one on a tester, but that seems fine without renewer. I'm not conviced that the cornstarch won't be a possible source of something that may promote vaginal infections. It's certainly something that bactria can feed on, maybe even yeast infections as well. The yeast used in bread making feeds on the sugars in the flour, and cornflour is not that much different to wheat flour

Perhaps just for storage then, and a wash before use? The dildo cleaning guide says to use it on real-feel materials to stop it getting tacky after cleaning, but also that it'll dramatically increase the life of the dildo. It doesn't specifically say to rinse it off before use, but you make a good point. I don't rinse my toys, but mine aren't insertable.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/dildos/buyers-guide/how-to-clean-and-store-your-dildo/

I use cornflour occassionally on my Tenga masturbator.

I always give it a quick rinse off before using.