Is it illegal

Hi everyone
I’ve done some googling but I can’t find a definitive answer.
Is it illegal to have sex in your car? I know you can get a fine for public indecency so sex outside (field or street etc) but the car is technically inside isn’t it? I mean nobody can see in (tinted windows) and it’s not like people can hear you. Just didn’t know if anyone has had experience of it?

1 Like

As far as I’m aware no. Just park somewhere you are less likely to be spotted.

Yeah that’s what I thought :slight_smile: thanks for the input

Hi @villagecpl - I’m going to assume you’re in the UK.

Having sex in a vehicle is not illegal in itself. As you say, the law is more about whether you’re doing it in a public space and whether anything is visible …and whether or not you get arrested for it is going to be entirely down to the judgement/whim of whichever police officer happens to be at the scene.

1 Like

@PleasureDrone hi yes sorry, UK based. It seems to be a real grey area, but it’s an area we are really wanting to play around with

I’d say you are fine just don’t go to a very public space where you are most likely to be spotted. It would be 1. Embarrassing and 2. They could call the police on you for public disturbance. This happened to one of my friends and she said it was the most embarrassing thing she has ever done.

1 Like

@sharbur thanks for the advise, also it’s good to hear of an actual experience of that kind of thing :slight_smile: thanks
Just for the record, we weren’t going to do in in a housing estate:)

2 Likes

As to whether it is illegal I cannot comment but I have done it many a time in a secluded area or at night. We never had any complaints or disturbances and it’s well worth the risk :wink:

1 Like

I am not a lawyer, however

In NZ (which law is based on many UK laws) there is an inherent right to privacy, except where there is exposure in such a manner that an ordinary person could observe an activity inadvertently -

Its not illegal (obviously) to have sex in your own house where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy (e.g behind closed curtains, or with the lights off at night etc), however, leave the curtains open and say turn on the lights, and the expectation of privacy no longer applies and therefore the act could be considered indecent exposure.

I suspect the same would apply to a car. If you are committing an act that may be offensive or indecent in such a manner that a normal person is likely to be exposed to it without their knowledge or consent, then it may be illegal

1 Like

On private property without any intent for indecent exposure is one thing but if you tried it in an empty supermarket carpark and the police happened to drive by then as said before how you would be treated would be entirely up to them (unless you have the property owner’s permission …).

In the UK it is a very grey area whether you can walk around in public naked if you are not ‘doing anything naughty’. There was the guy from Scotland(?) who insisted on walking around naked and kept on getting arrested and imprisoned for walking on public streets naked (I think he even walked out of prison on release naked to be immediately arrested again) but perhaps he had other issues.

Don’t think it is a grey area (in the UK), you are breaking the law having sex in a public place, having said that, what teenager hasn’t so again as long as you are mindful of other people and how they might feel if they and their children accidently view what you are doing …

The interior of your car is legally not a private place. If the car is in a public place then the car interior IS a public place so all laws apply as if the car wasn’t there.

I misread that as ‘is it illegal to have sex WITH your car’ :joy:
That’s a whole other subject!

4 Likes

As long as it is behind a closed garage door and the vehicle has consented …

6 Likes

I don’t think that it is a specific offence to have sex in your car, it will be caught by public decency laws if you decide to engage in activity in a public place, so Tesco’s car park, might be a no, no. :grin:

1 Like

I think its something to do with intent to offend. If you park where you are expecting privacy then its ok but if you park where you intend to be seen its indecent exposure. That does kind of depend on who spots you too. Most people who might see probably wouldnt do anything and just carry on walking unless its a dogging spot and they stay and watch. Some would call the police and cause trouble.
Its fun to do but find the right place google earth is useful for location scouting.

3 Likes

Interesting topic as my husband and I have wanted to christen our car for some time now but due to our careers haven’t as of yet for fear of getting caught and in trouble with the law.

2 Likes

I used to borrow my dad’s car after i first passed my test and risked a few quiet country layby’s late at night. Also parked the car in the garage at the rear of the house and did it in there, but always made sure to turn the engine off, because of the risk of car monoxide poisoning. Thank the lord for PVC seats!

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread. But i used to date a police officer for a short while and i remember wanting to have sex with him in a car and he said no as it was illegal and that you can get arrested for it if spotted.

3 Likes

There is no specific UK law against having sex inside a vehicle but drivers could break a series of rules for doing so. Drivers could be fined for careless driving if they are caught performing sex acts in a vehicle as this would be considered a distraction. :thinking: Never really considered it whilst driving… :oncoming_police_car::oncoming_police_car::oncoming_police_car:

1 Like

If you are unfortunate enough to get caught in the act, it’s likely the police will give you a warning and ask you to get dressed and leave immediately. However, you could land yourself in some hot water if you’re not careful. Depending on where your vehicle is parked, you could be charged with outraging public decency – especially if a member of the public has reported you. If you’re caught performing (or on the receiving end) of a sexual act while driving, you could bag yourself a careless driving charge with a £100+ fine and as many as 3 penalty points on your license. For more serious incidents, you could be charged with dangerous driving, which has an unlimited fine, maximum points and potential jail time.

That is the research done, now the weather is improving… :heart: