Is it safe?

Is it safe to keep a sex toy for a number of years? Like one that's made out of silicone? I'm not worried about something that's glass or plastic but something made out of silicone I'm unclear on.

I should think so, unless there are clear signs that it's deteriorating. I may be wrong, just hope someone has clearer knowledge on this, as it hasn't really crossed my mind unless the silicone is damaged in some way.

Can't see a problem as long as you've stored it well and kept it dry when not in use

Don't know... I have some silicone kitchen ware that have deteriorated with time, but they're probably subjected to rougher treatment.... :-)

If you purchase good quality toys and look after them properly they can last years without any problems. Silicon is very versatile and a lot of toys use madical grade silicon. If you use water based lube, sex toy cleaner, and store the toy in a safe way, I can't see any problem in keeping and using toys for years.

Im of the opinion that a toy is for life not just for Christmas. I have 2Lelo products that I intend to keep and use for many years to come. Lelo products actually come with a guarentee!

Well that's a relief. Yeah I intend to keep all my toys that I own right now so I was just wondering :)

There is no issue with keeping a toy for a number of years to forever ! ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif) no matter what the material .

We have some interesting and helpful guides about storing and cleaning toys :

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex/buyers-guide/how-to-clean-sex-toys/

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex/buyers-guide/sex-toy-storage/

The main thing to be cautious of with any silicone item is not to contact with other silicone items and lubes. This can cause deterioration to the material , causing the toy to be useless and possibly melt ! ![](upload://f8zGclFeQx35HwZLqJ7J1rFzQ0n.gif)

We have a guide on materials that is also very helpful when considering storage and lubrication for toys :

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/sex-toy-materials-phthalates-rubber-silicone/

I hope that helps ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Well Lelo have a 10 year quality warrenty, I am pretty sure most if not all of there products are made from silicone? So, so longs they are well looked after im asuming they are okay for at least 10 years?

X

Any toy made of non-reactive materials (like glass, silicone, ABS plastic, or treated metal and wood) can last forever. Silicone can't be in contact with TPR/TPE or other forms or rubber or jelly (which react and melt), but silicone can chill just fine with other silicone or non-reactive materials. Rubber is porous to some degree and in a constant state of breaking down and releasing oils (making condoms not terribly useful), which means it holds bacteria and can't be sanitized. Some people say you should replace them annually, others say every 6 months, and others say every 3 months for anal use (those butt germs...).

But, if it's a proper body-safe, non-reactive material that can be cleaned or sanitized safely, then there's no reason it can't last for years.

I wouldn't want to have any jelly item more than a short while, that if you must buy a jelly item.

Cuddlekins wrote:

I wouldn't want to have any jelly item more than a short while, that if you must buy a jelly item.

No way in hell, would I buy a jelly item