Kegel balls & pregnancy

I've searched on the forum but I haven't found a thread like this so far. I need some help choosing a kegel exerciser!

So I'm approaching the halfway mark in my pregnancy and starting to think more about strengthening my pelvic floor in preparation for birth etc. Honestly, I abandoned kegel exercises a couple of months before falling pregnant as I absolutely hate doing them (the feeling of it makes me cringe!) But I haven't noticed a problem with my pelvic floor since. Seeing as I hate the feeling of actually doing kegels, is it safe to use kegel balls during pregnancy instead? I have sex toy cleaner but I'm still worried about introducing infection or irritating my cervix :/

I'm also struggling to find kegel balls which are right for me. I have the Gballs 2, which are comfortable to wear, but they're not very challenging to keep in and don't work very well with the app anymore. I've also tried the Lovehoney Main Squeeze 60g kegel balls and really didn't like them either, I feel like they stretch me too much and it's difficult to insert the whole thing, if I do then they press right against my cervix and its painful. So I really don't know what else to try!

I'd ideally like a single ball which is heavy enough (at least 60g but probably a lot more), or double balls which are flexible at the joint (unlike the Lovehoney ones) and not too long or I'll struggle to insert them, and they'll irritate my cervix. Not looking to spend a fortune either as I've just had to replace my phone, do Christmas shopping, and we've got a lot of baby stuff to buy. Yes, I know it's a lot to ask! :p

Doesn't have to be exact, just something along those lines would be great.

I know I sound naiive and possibly a bit stupid, but if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Also any advice on how to best strengthen my pelvic floor during pregnancy would be great, as my midwife hasn't had time to discuss it with me yet so I don't know the do's/don'ts regarding kegel balls. Thank you :)

Hi boogaloo, it should be perfectly safe to use kegal balls, or any other sex toy, during pregnancy. We did each time. The only time it wouldn't be safe is when you've been told not to. Just make sure you keep them clean. Whilst pregnant I used the Lovehoney basics ones
http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=232
However, it's basically a string so you need to give it a good clean and let it dry. They're very light and I didn't have to do much work to keep them in, so I upgraded to these
http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32417
which were tiny, comfy, but heavier than anticipated. I couldn't keep them in for long! If I were going to buy again, then I'd opt for these
http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=20747
but they're pricey. Or these,
http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=18124
which are on offer.
Hope that helps x

Thank you that's helpful :)

I thought the Tracey Cox ones looked really good as they're slightly heavier than mine, a more comfortable shape, and more flexible... But then I saw in the description "insertable length: 7 inches" which seems massive! The Lovehoney ones are only 4 inches and they feel like they press right against my cervix, unless I'm very aroused (which lets face it, I'm really not these days haha). Have you tried the Tracey Cox ones?

I'm mainly trying to strengthen up as I've been told I'm allowed a natural delivery but I can't have a prolonged second stage of labour as it's dangerous for me (due to an existing medical condition), so I have to push the baby out quickly. I'm hoping Kegel balls will help prepare me for that xx

I used one of the fun factory single ones throughout pregnancy. My midwife wasn't going to talk much about it until I brought it up. Many are hit and miss as to whether you should use them, but many concluided as long as you use medical gread ones / silicone ones without string it'd be fine as long as you're experiencing a healthy pregnancy.

The kegelmaster says you can use that during pregnancy, which I personally find more dangerous than the balls with it's ability to rust around the fittings, and it hass sharp edges.

I wouldn't worry about using anything too challenging as the body and area in paticular is under a lot of strain right now. But maybe look into the je joue ones.

Thank you Lady Ness I'll look into those :) according to a lovehoney page I found sex toys in general are safe to use in pregnancy as long as they're clean so I'm guessing that applies to kegel balls, but my baby book says steer clear! So confusing...

Boogaloo wrote:

Thank you Lady Ness I'll look into those :) according to a lovehoney page I found sex toys in general are safe to use in pregnancy as long as they're clean so I'm guessing that applies to kegel balls, but my baby book says steer clear! So confusing...

It's because there are very few studies out there on them. Just avoid hormonal lubes and lubes which are more likely to cause thrush. But they do sell various kegel devises that have been medically approved, however they are over priced for what they are due to going through the process. I've found most silicone devices should be safe and some even are similar to the medical ones.

That makes sense, thank you :)

I suppose if I really wanted to be on the safe side I could just do kegel exercises normally but I've never felt very good at them. I've read that you just pretend you're stopping the flow of urine midstream and hold for a few seconds etc, but when I did this using a biofeedback device (Gballs2) it didn't register anything. The only way it would register was to clench my butt cheeks as well, which apparently you're not supposed to do. So I find the whole thing a bit confusing!

I think my pelvic floor is fine as I'm not incontinent, I can easily stop peeing, and my orgasms have always felt strong, but I know pregnancy and birth can weaken them significantly.

Weaken your PC muscles I mean, not orgasms (though perhaps those too)

There's so many ways to expercise your pelvic floor as it's a group of muscles. I highly recommend wagging your tail bone back and forth as it's a very good motion whilst giving birth. Totally different muscles used than when stopping urine (while it is part of the p/f and still good to exercise people often forget the back section of the muscles).