Light Choking / Asphyxiation

I understand why an individual might personally enjoy doing it to themselves or having it done to them... but can anyone shed some light on why one might want to do it to another? Is it just a sense of power? Absolutely no offence intended, each to their own, but I kind of feel that if you are not doing it because your partner loves it then maybe you need to have a little think about whether you should do it at all...

I've been having casual sex with a man I know and trust for over a year. Choking was something he mentioned a few months ago, and I wasn't sure, but said we could try, why not? And omg i was pleasantly suprised. It's a role play thing - not a power sense as such. I love it every now and then; it mixes things up a bit. If you're partner wants to try it just ask to go gentle and see if you feel comfortable with it. I don't think it's for everyone, but it's not awful like it sounds! But certainly, if you gain no enjoyment from it, then don't go there. I don't think it's healthy to do things in bed if only your partner likes it; it's not fair.

I've not heard of this in a sexual context. But I can imagine that people might find it 'interesting'.

I would guess that it has less to do with the (dubious) pleasures derived by shutting off someone's airway.... and more to do with the effects of hypoxia, ie oxygen starvation. This is used in some forms of meditation..... the meditator reducing his breathing to the point where hypoxia takes place, inducing a sense of euphoria and what appear to be insights and visions. At the very least hypoxia makes you go deliciously light-headed.

But..... don't try this at home, kids.

Ah, MrBumCheeks! I had forgotten all about that! Many years ago I read (probably in cosmo, I confess, but I was a teenager) about that breathing technique. I think it's tantric. Used to do it with one of my more adventurous boyfriends. Man I miss it, I am all about the intimacy. Love this forum!

The only reason I bring it up at all is that my new partner has suggested it a few times (to do to me) but to be honest, due to recent unpleasantness from an ex, I would rather he leave my airways alone for now. For now.

Also do this one with my partner :)
I like the feeling of his hand lightly round my neck but nothing more really.

My bf loves the feeling of dominance when he chokes me. He loves holding me down. This is just something that we naturally started doing. When he dominates me its choking but when its my turn to be dom its usually bondage.

I have to say I love the feel of him choking me when he cums. We tend to do it til I see spots and get a bit light headed so theres usually some evidence of it on my body (finger impressions, small burst blood vessels in my eyelids, etc) which is a huge turn on for the pair of us.

ahhhh now .. i never thought about this this way !!! i LOVE being choked .. quite hard , eniough to leave bruising ( i love bruises :/ ) on occasion NOT all the time .. but i never considered why someoen would enjoy being the choker .. food for thought !

MrBumcheeks wrote:

Although maybe if I had a sub restrained and gagged (tape over her mouth) there would be no harm in gently pinching her nostrils together until the pleading eyes told me she needed air badly enough to convince me to release them.

er.... wow. :)

BiNympho wrote:

I've been having casual sex with a man I know and trust for over a year. Choking was something he mentioned a few months ago, and I wasn't sure, but said we could try, why not? And omg i was pleasantly suprised. It's a role play thing - not a power sense as such. I love it every now and then; it mixes things up a bit. If you're partner wants to try it just ask to go gentle and see if you feel comfortable with it. I don't think it's for everyone, but it's not awful like it sounds! But certainly, if you gain no enjoyment from it, then don't go there. I don't think it's healthy to do things in bed if only your partner likes it; it's not fair.

I wouldnt go as far as choking but the hand around the neck was a huge turn on for a casual ex who was shy between the sheets. She said she enjoyed the sense of me being in control and it really got her worked up. Id say its a stepup from restraining wrists or lightly pulling hair.

I find chocking very intimate and have only let my current OH do it to me. it is not something we do unless we are being rough with each other and it makes me cum harder. We used to also use it as a way to help me squirt.

is there a danger you could black out before you realise and use a safe word?

From personal experience of nearly blacking out myself I would say that I can usually tell when I'm on the verge of it and let him know to stop. Once I start seeing spots I stop him. It can be fun to tread that line though.

Oh knows when to stop. I don't know how but he can tell when it gets a bit too much.

Wouldnt go as far as choking but i do find it a huge turn on if my partner has his hand on my neck. Not necessarily exerting any pressure, but just the feeling of it being there gives the feeling of him being in control and therefore turns me on.

sexynurse09 wrote:

Wouldnt go as far as choking but i do find it a huge turn on if my partner has his hand on my neck. Not necessarily exerting any pressure, but just the feeling of it being there gives the feeling of him being in control and therefore turns me on.

me too lol

I'm not sure why BF likes doing it, but I think part of it is he gets off on my reaction to it :) I love it, not too intense, but I do like a little bit of pressure, and as it turns me on, it turns him on too. Win.