Lube in the shower?

Just bought this male vibrator and I love it: https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=37970

As it's waterproof, I'd like to try using it in the shower. But presumably water-based lube will be no good under running water? And silicone-based lube will be no good because it's a silicone toy? Any ideas what I should be doing?

(Also, if the toy says "waterproof", does than mean it can be submerged or no? I wouldn't mind testing it in the bath as well, before I write my glowing review of it.)

Hi, this one says it's submersible so yes it would fine in the bath! As for lube you could try a water based anal lube such as https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=35809 as these are designed to be thicker and last longer or you could try something like this https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=38383 which I also find last longer than a normal waterbased lube. Have fun.

Thanks, AmyA! That LH anal lube is my go-to lube for most things - so it sounds like I should be fine.

As a sidenote, I'm sad to see how badly reviewed this male vibrator is. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with any instructions, and most of the reviewers seem to have mis-interpreted how it's supposed to be used (as far as I can work out).

Hey defam

That toy is definitely fine for use in the bath or shower, and can be used with an oil-based lubricant for water-resistant slip!

(Just be careful not to spill it as it's VERY slippery on tiles/bathroom floors/the bottom of your bath or shower!)

Thanks, Jess! I'll see how the thicker water-based lube works out. If it's not ideal, I'll think about putting some oil-based lube in my next order. (Never used oil-based lube before; I can imagine it would be real pain to clean up if spilt!)

Thicker water based lubes will wash off just as easily as thin products. They are no good in a shower or bath. Go with Jess’ suggestion of an oil based lube. Also, while the traditional wisdom is that silicone toys and silicone lubes don’t mix, the truth is somewhere in between. I have used many silicone toys with silicone lube and had no problems. You can try it without worrying about ruining your toy anyway. If there is a reaction it will take several exposures to do lasting damage. I’ve seen two things happen to silicone toys when they do react, you either get surface deformities or the toy will expand, like it’s absorbing silicone. Neither happens very quickly, taking several exposures before it’s really noticeable, and if you do try it keep in mind that even if there is no reaction it is difficult to clean the lube completely off the toy. Of all the toys I’ve tried a small minority have issues, mainly things like cockrings and cheaper products.

Note oil based lubes can and do wash off in the hot(soapy) water in the shower, they then cool and stick to anything colder, IE the bath or shower tray, so you have lube with water on top making a very (dangerous) slippery surface that stays slippery for days, especially if others use the same shower and may not be aware the "floor" could be really slippery?

My advice don't use in the shower etc.

Thanks for the extra replies.

I tried with the water-based lube, and it did indeed wash right off. Given the nature and ergonomics of the toy, it can still supply stimulation without lube, though it isn't as good.

KingGrthy: thanks for the advice on silicone + silicone. It may be that there's no reaction. But by the time I found that out, it sounds like it could be too late and the toy would be damaged. I probably won't risk it.

Quiet ones: that is a good point about oil-based lube. Our shower is separate from our bath, so I might still give it a go in the bath. I figure you do less standing in the bath, so less chance of slipping over! My partner mainly uses the shower, so it'll only be me who gets injured...