Lumps on my cervix (Can't find my original thread)

I started a thread about this before but can't find it for the life of me.

I visited my GP about lumps on my cervix, but am still none the wiser and need some advice.

Basically, I went there, told him I had some lumps on my cervix and got "your cervix?", so I said yes, I can feel it, and there are lumps on it. I got a doubtful look and some basic, general questions about my period. He said to make an appointment with the nurse and showed me the door. Was told by the receptionist that the nurse wouldn't be back in for a week, so to call back then and make an appointment. Soo... I called, they don't know when she will be back in. Waited another week, and was told that they no longer have a nurse, and the only staff there now are male, who won't do an internal examination.

This has gone on for a little while and the lumps have got slightly bigger (or I can feel them more), and I don't want to have to register at a new doctors, wait for my records to be transferred....So I'm wondering if I can just go to the hospital and see a nurse there?

I had a little feel today and now I feel a bit..irritated. Trying to put my brave face on but its niggling in the back of my mind.

I would call your local hospital and ask to speak to the gynecologist department and explain the situation. Its shocking they do not have female member of staff who can do internal exams. I hope you get seen to soon.x

Hello, definitely get it checked! Maybe try contacting other doctor, or hospital, and ask if there is anything they can do for you. And explain your situation

And I am wondering why the doctor did not do the check himself? Or is it something he considers not to be part of his job? And something that should be on the nurse only? Even though she is not available?

Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted and it is nothing too serious!

Go to your nearest sexual health centre, the nurse there should be able to help you out and refer you elsewhere if needed :)

Have you considered going to an NHS Walk-in Centre? Although they are manned by GPs they also employ other staff such as nurses. There should be one reasonably close to you. Your practice will get billed for any procedure/treatment but it would serve them right under the circumstances.

I would also consider making a complaint against your practice as this sort of response is totally unacceptable and should not be allowed to continue. Either raise it with your local PCT (Primary Care Trust) or through your local PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service).

Appalling behaviour by your gp. :(

Thanks for the advice. I agree, it was a terrible service I received. He's actually known as the "rubbish one" that no one wants to see. I've actually found a GUM clinic near me, so I will make an appointment there tomorrow, but if not there is a gynecologist department at my local hospital so I'll try there.

Laveila wrote:

Hello, definitely get it checked! Maybe try contacting other doctor, or hospital, and ask if there is anything they can do for you. And explain your situation

And I am wondering why the doctor did not do the check himself? Or is it something he considers not to be part of his job? And something that should be on the nurse only? Even though she is not available?

Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted and it is nothing too serious!

I've had an issue with this type of thing before, one of the male doctors wouldn't even examine my stomach, and when I said that I couldn't wait any longer for an examination, he called in the receptionist, who was the only female in the building, to chaperone.

He said I was due for a cervical screening and should have had a letter by now, so she could do both at the same time.

That is ridiculous, he probably doesn't think that women can feel their own cervix! It does shock me how little GPs will actually do nowadays. The other day I went to see my GP because I thought I was anaemic. All he needed to do was a simple blood test which would have taken 10 seconds! Instead he wanted me to wait for an appointment at the hospital which would take a week!

I got him to print me out a request form, went home and took the bloods myself (which I am trained to do haha didn't just stab myself!) but I was so annoyed that he wouldn't just do it there and then!

Anyway sorry I'm rambling! Sexual health clinic, drop in clinic, phone the gynae ward at your local hospital or ask to see another (female) GP. Ask for a smear test at the same time. x

Appalling it really is and if you go on NHS direct website with any thing - it tells you call 999, what a waste of resources!! Recently had a child with a head bump seen at walkin clinic and advise was any nothing wrong he'll be ok but if it changes call 999!! Also had gynae app and refer on to another clinic but as they had such a long wait list they sent me another consultant app from gynae - when I phoned to query was told it was becasue the new clinic couldn't fit me in within gov time frame but yeah i didn't need it!!!!!!!!

I know they need to cover themselves these days but really a little more empathy and a little more listening could really help and as for women actually being able to feel their cervix let alone knowing they have one - well they need to come out the dark ages really.

Def GUM clinic they should know and be able to get you the appropriate help. Just don't ask for directions to the GUM clinic at the hosp I once did that and a medical person directed me to the dental unit!!!

Good luck xx

Appalling behaviour shown by your doctor; I really would go to the hospital/GUM clinic (remember to phone in advance so you don't get sent back home with paperwork or something) and get yourself checked out by a gynaecologist and/or professional who knows what they're talking about.

I don't see why your male doctor can't do it himself, what would happen when more women need their internal exams.? I'm concerned for your doctors clinic now!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine, the little niggles are there just to remind you to get it checked out. Better safe than sorry, let us know how you get on xxx

I can understand why you're concerned but they are almost certainly Nabothian cysts

• http://www.patient.co.uk/search.asp?searchterm=NABOTHIAN+CYSTS (epithelial inclusion cysts/mucinous retention cysts):[http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Uterine-Cervix-and-Common-Cervical-Abnormalities.htm#ref-10]
    • These common mucus-filled lesions are almost considered to be a normal part of the adult cervix. They look like multiple translucent or opaque, white or yellow lesions ranging from 2 mm to 10 mm in size.
    • They tend to occur following natural tissue regrowth after minor trauma or after childbirth. This new tissue grows over the opening of the nabothian glands, so giving rise to these lesions.They are occasionally a result of chronic http://www.patient.co.uk/search.asp?searchterm=CERVICITIS.
    • They are usually asymptomatic and need no treatment. They may very occasionally be problematic if they grow very large, in which case they may be treated with cautery or cryotherapy.

P51 wrote:

I can understand why you're concerned but they are almost certainly Nabothian cysts

Hi :) Yeah I know its bound to be that, my doctor (the one who refused to examine me) assured me that I am " definitely too young for it to be anything serious" which is a load of bollocks. I hate it when people say that- it's less likely, but not impossible. Grr.

I still haven't had the chance to get an appointment. The only one I could get was while I was work and was too short notice to rearrange shifts. I'm going to call up tomorrow and make an appointment at the gyno asap- I'm due for a smear test (or whichever kind of test you start having at age 20) anyways so they should see me very soon.

I am a little concerned though, with my usually-regular-as-clockwork periods which have been really messed up. In September I got it just over 2 weeks late, on the 22nd instead of the 5th, and I haven't seen Octobers as of yet... Hoping it will come again on schedule around the 5th of this month. Pregnancy isn't really anything for me to be worrying about- I haven't seen my boyfriend much at all over the past couple of weeks, let alone done anything else.

I've also got a little lump on the outside of my labia, which I'm not worried about but it's still annoying, and I've been getting weird little shooting pains down below (I can't quite place where, it's always too quick!) every now and then. And!! earlier in the week I got a very very bad stomach pain which then spread down, and covered my torso, down to my thighs- for about half hour I couldn't laugh, move, sit, stand, anything. Weeeeird. I'm run down with the flu at the mo as well. Not in the best shape this week!!

I know that when you are young, the chances are lower, but I did hear of even cervical cancer in early 20s or any other serious problems, so it does not mean that young means save. The same goes for also breast cancer, rare, but can occur in young women. I had lump in my breast, which turned out to be cyst, but when I went to doctor, noone laughed and I had appointment in less than 2 weeks in hospital for complete checking. Although they did think it will not be anything serious and it was not. Better be sure than sorry.

The lump outside labia can be something similar to acne, I had this before few times and it did hurt a bit, but after few days and tee tree it went away. It could be something similar. But I do think you do need some proper check soon, as this does not seem normal. Stress can mess the regularity of menstruation, but with the pain I would be bit worried.