Men and Lingerie Stores

I’m curious to see what other men do to purchase lingerie for themselves. I purchase both online and also in-store. It has only been in the past few years that I’ve been confident enough when asked by an assistant “what size is she?” to say it is for me … in all cases I’ve found the assistants to be polite and then help as best they can. There are a number of stores that allow me to try on the lingerie to ensure the sizing is correct - they tend to be lingerie only stores rather than department stores and I tend to pick my time of visit to when it is not busy - close to opening or closing. Interested to see others feedback and any recommended stores if not buying online.

6 Likes

Hi Not an issue I have personally had to encounter I buy got my OH mostly online one way or another Im sure LH have lots of options and good size guides to help you pick the correct fit ! :hugs:

2 Likes

Well done you for being brave enough to go in store to purchase, many men I’m sure would rather discreetly order online but with that your almost certain to gamble on the fitting side of things.

I’d hope to expect with today’s modern diversity culture it wouldn’t be a big deal for men to wonder in a lingerie shop to buy for themselves. Of course though much of the stigma still remains in our minds of what others would think or react…

4 Likes

I’ve always bought for my partner since years before the internet so I broached the awkwardness way before I started buying for myself. I still by from stores. Grabbing a sexy new pair of knickers on a cold wet winter afternoon can really put a smile on my face.

3 Likes

I have bought lingerie from the shops in the past and one recently defunked department store always had a great sale rail. I must admit it turned me on a little too

I now mainly buy on line, from either here or another well known lingerie and sex toy shop. Lockdown helped push me towards online shopping. I do like looking around lingerie departments to get ideas though

2 Likes

You might be surprised if you ask an assistant as speciality lingerie stores … I’ve focused on the more mature assistants although I must say in Honey Birdette one day I had an assistant in her late 20’s and she was fabulous … had me try on a bodysuit with suspenders, fitted a bra on me, complemented me on how it looked, made me feel very comfortable … none of it was sexual or a come on, I did have to try very hard though not to get hard.

2 Likes

Before making the switch to male thongs and the joys of online shopping, lingerie and department stores were the only places I could buy underwear. I’d tended to go at times when they weren’t busy and I never really had any issues or comments from department stores. I found lingerie stores intimidating at times because they would always approach and ask to help.

I remember once buying my wife some expensive lingerie and picking up 4 or 5 thongs for me. At the till I asked for my wife’s underwear to be gift boxed and the girl on the till noticed the size discrepancy and asked if I needed them changing. When I said that they were for me, she was more embarrassed about asking haha

4 Likes

I need your advice please :pray:

I’ve been on a real journey these past couple of months admitting to my OH that I wanted to wear women’s knickers/pants/undies/briefs :briefs: call them what you will.

I was really hoping that she would be fully supportive and help my with my purchasing, but alas not. I’ve been into a couple of stores and managed to purchase a couple pairs under the guise of buying for my OH but I felt completely embarrassed and utterly nervous when a store assistant tries to assist me. I just lied about wanting to buy for OH who was sick.

The advice I need help with is how do I go about asking for help and approaching the tricky subject to the store assistant that I’m buying for myself and not my OH? I want to get the correct sizing for me and I’ve no idea really if I’m a 12, 14 or 16, or a medium, med/large or large.

What do I do if they ask if I want to try on my choices for sizing.

Gees I’m freaking out just typing this but I really want to do this for myself after waiting 45years.

Thanks…

2 Likes

Have you tried looking at a woman’s sizing guide maybe on LH website or just Google. If you measure your waist you should be able to see what size they recommend you would be. Maybe go into a supermarket and buy a cheap pack of underwear to try first, just to ensure you like the size. Once you are happy with sizes this should give you the confidence to go sexy lingerie shopping. Happy shopping :wink: can’t wait to hear what you get :heartbeat:

2 Likes

I can imagine your situation . I have been confident my whole life and have zero issues with straight talking anyone in a store . I read sales people on the best way to approach them . Often I will tell them my wife and I get a bit kinky and I need panties that will fit me . The down side to this is they will often try and hire me . Thinking about it , 99% of the time it is a younger lady that is the sales person . If you are not comfortable doing that , watch a video or two on YouTube about how to measure yourself for women sizing . Even then , it is not 100% fool proof . I would guess manufacturers vary 20% in how they calculate the size . I prefer a fairly snug fit . The older I get , the less I care what people think . to be fair , I am told I have a gift for talking to strangers , along with reading the person . I am trying to get my wife to warm up for me wearing a bra-let and other lingerie . She loves me in panties and lace stockings . My photos on here get a fair number of likes also . Good luck , be brave young man !

3 Likes

A good starting point would be to measure yourself to get a rough idea.Then check an online store for Cheaper sale items and take a punt to figure out what size is best.That way you dont lose much if sizing is too far out.Once you work out sizes etc then it becomes easier and you can order some of the great stuff from places like LH who i have bought a lot of lingerie from.Most of the time you can tell by pictures if the boob area will be too big to fill and it becomes easier the more you buy but keeping to sale items initially does help to keep costs down when you do err on size.As for going into shops ,after the first or second time i had purchased bras,knickers,nighties,stockings etc i gained confidence like Oldman to openly inform the salesperson they were for me.Everytime the response has been pretty amazing to be fair with positive comments.One lady even telling me she loves selling lingerie to men because they really know what they want and buy the nicer sexier items.As said before,be brave,go for it and enjoy.For me it is one one my greatest pleasures being lingerie clad and it’s something you can do 24 hours a day.Let us all know how you go on.Plus good on you for opening up to us and also letting others know your desires,the more people that do this the better able it will be to get rid of this narrow minded and unfair attitude to us guys who simply want to live our lives,be happy and wear what we want.

1 Like

I’m very fortunate as my wife and I wear the same size - UK 12-14 / 34”, so there is never any issues.

I remember suggesting, some time ago, that LH provide alternative sizing for both female and male customers on their product pages. This would be helpful for any male customers wishing to purchase female-styled underwear for themselves.

This would be especially useful to add in the product information for the few items of non-crotchless underwear LH stocks. The non-crotchless items are the most suitable for the male anatomy and which most men seem to prefer (according to related posts on this subject).

2 Likes

That is so right,manufacturers really are missing a trick,dual sizes or even “his” and “hers” size markings bringing it a bit more light hearted.I am sure sales would pretty soon double and a lot more men would be a lot more happy.

1 Like

Thanks to you all @HappyInPanties, @Oldman, @Lushlips84, @Himeros1 and everyone who has gone out of their way to be super friendly, really helpful & supportive. I am incredibly humbled that people I don’t know care about me and all of us forum members in the way you do.

You advice above to my dilemmas has given me the confidence to approach the store lingerie assistance in the shop I know of and ask them if they are happy serving males and whether they get any males buying lingerie for themselves? I’m hoping they take the hint and ask me if that’s what I’m doing etc Not sure what I’ll do or I’ll handle the situation if they don’t take the hint? Any suggestions?

I’ll hopefully be doing this on my return from South America next week.

I’ll let you know how I go with this.

Any further advice gratefully received :pray:

3 Likes

When you ask in that store i am sure you will be surprised at the answer and just how many of us are out there.Plus,for every person that has the courage to do what we do and what you are about to do there must be at least ten times that many that want to.Once again well done and keep us informed :smiley:

1 Like

Some years ago I sent emails to a number of smaller independent lingerie stores enquiring about their approach to male/cd/trans shoppers in their stores. Some were not interested at all but a couple were absolutely brilliant. I spent about 10 years buying lingerie for myself in these stores. The staff were amazing and made me feel great too. I went for regular bra fittings and became good friendswith some of the staff.
I am now of an age and confidence level that I just buy my lingerie in a variety of major high street stores.

3 Likes

In the uk there are a few high street stores that clearly welcome men who want to buy lingerie for themselves without that judgement

I appreciate for a man it’s difficult but I agree with others here - start off sizing yourself and then compare against women’s size - then buy a few items from a cheaper store such as a supermarket or cheap high street store - as you can then invest in them without the big cost

Once you been through this you can get the good lingerie you deserve to wear

Finally talk to us - I have helped many men in the past and go shopping with them - it’s easy for me as a woman but it’s all about confidence

Can I ask what are you looking for - tell us as we can points few Lovehoney items to you ( also tell us your size as well)

:stockings: :dress:

6 Likes

It takes time to be confident to buy for yourself lingerie - but I like to buy more expensive lingerie now and do like to feel before I buy - and I don’t have any issue saying it’s for me

In the past I have asked work colleagues to come shopping with me so it looks better

3 Likes

Hi All,
@batjamboree, @davey, @HappyInPanties, @spanking_for_fun, @HappyInPanties, @Oldman, @Lushlips84, @Himeros1

I’m back home following our South American travels and I have an update on my visit to a lingerie store.

Today I finally visited the store I spoke about in my earlier posts. Gee I was nervous. It was a Monday morning and very quiet in store. Perfect!!

One of the assistance recognised me from an earlier visit a couple of months ago and came over to me and asked if she could be of help and what I might be looking for. I stumbled around for a while and then came straight out with it about how open they might be about allowing men to try on women’s underwear? (they do also sell a small amount of men’s underwear but is 95% lingerie). I told her that this was all new to me but is something that I’m exploring with the help of my OH. I also said that I’m really not sure what my exact sizing was. She smiled, put me at ease and told me that of course I could try on anything I liked, and what did I have in mind?

She helped me find some not too lacy or too over feminine pants/knicks in different sizes, styles & colours, showed me to the dressing rooms and told me to take my time. She checked in on me a couple of times in case I needed help (outside of the door of course), came back when I was done and took me to the counter to pay etc

She was absolutely great, fabulous in fact, a real star putting me at ease and making me feel as if this happens every day. She told me that she has a couple of other males she helps, and she really enjoys helping us males find our lingerie. She told me that she looked forward to my next visit and helping me .

So to you all Thank-You :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: for giving me the confidence to be open about buying lingerie for myself etc and this experience has helped build my own confidence in finding, trying-on and buying my own lingerie without hiding behind a lie that I’m shopping for my OH!!

Mid 50s Kiwi :sunglasses:

10 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes