Menstrual cup - I think I did something wrong help

So I had been on the implant for the past 6 months and I’ve recently came off it to go back on the combined pill which is a better match for me. This means I am going to get regular periods again. About 6 months before getting the implant I was using tampons and before that I had been using a menstrual cup so I have used them before. I used them for a year and switched back to tampons for a bit. My period is due for this week so I have both the regular salt cup and I also have the soft version. I used to wear the soft version all the time but I wanted to try the regular one so I got both versions to try. I had completely forgotten how to insert them and you can try it when your not on your period to make it easier for when it comes. Last week, I tried the soft first and it was great and then I tried the regular one and a little blood came out but I didn’t think much of it. It was just like light spotting. I tried the regular salt today because I want to make my mind up which is going to be my main cup and which will be my backup cup because I don’t want to depend on one. I had it in for maybe 30 seconds and I took it out and it was a scene. Blood went EVERYWHERE! It was on the floor, the wall, the sink, everywhere. It wasn’t a lot of blood but I’m wondering if I somehow hurt myself? I don’t feel in pain or anything. I don’t think it’s came on early since I’m not bleeding anymore plus it takes a few days of not taking the pill for my period to come and I only took the last one last night. My body just seems to be rejecting the salt cup in its regular firmness and I’m scared to use it as a back up cup now.

1 Like

I’ve never used a menstrual cup but I understand the theory behind it. The regular is more rigid and suctions better than the soft, had you fully released the suction when you pulled it out? You possibly have a wee tear.
If the bleeding has stopped and you’re not in pain and there’s no change in smell or discharge then you’re probably grand. If you’re worried, then speaking to your gynae will alleviate any fears.

Use the one that you’re confident using, as attempting the regular is likely to make you tense up and that’ll make it harder to position.

1 Like

I’ve been using cups for many years now and I’ve not really encountered any major problems. Only that one of my bigger cups causes cramping in my tummy.
Also when I decided to get my nails done woth long extensions - I didnt even consider the trouble I’d have trying to take the cup out :dizzy_face:

The best way ive found to insert the cup is to be in a squart position but with knees well apart.
Then fold the cup up so it’s slimmer.
You should be able to slide it in with ease, then give it a gentle maneuver and pull to ensure it opens inside.
When you are realy to remove - get back into the same position, so that you can reach down and hold onto the botton of the cup with thumb and finger.
Before pulling the cup out, you should squeeze it first - then gentle pull as you wiggle it a little.

I’m unsure what the bleeding could be as if it was your period then it would have continued however, maybe due - to your change in contraception and hormones, you maybe have some irregular bleeding.

Is there a possibility that you have caught yourself with your fingernail when inserting or removing the cup?

Maybe try it again in a couple of days - I’m sure it’s safe to practice using the cup even when its not that time of the month.

Yikes must have been a scary moment for you having that happen, sounds like a scene from a horror film!

period may just be heavier due to change in contraception and might need to empty more often in first few days. it, at the end of the day can only hold so much. The cups create a suction, so inserting may have sucked out what was sat inside sort of waiting to come out. (same reason I can’t use as I have a coil and don’t want it sucked out!) I have found every time I have changed contraception my body has taken a while to calm down. check out FB page of Lara Briden period expert, she also has a great book The Period Repair Manual that I recommend. Also one for perimenopause called The Hormone Repair Manual too.
re the spotting…firstly, are you up to date with smear test. otherwise you may have a little polyp you are catching with the cup that is bleeding…just a thought.