Miscellaneous sex toys cleaning advice

Hello all :) So I recently received my second Lovehoney order and I have a question that might seem a bit silly but here goes; My order included some (what I consider) miscellaneous aka non-insertable sex toys. I was wondering whether I should clean these before the first use and if so how because not all of them are suitable for sex toy cleaner I think. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are the items in my order that I consider miscellaneous;

-Lovehoney Tease Me Silicone Tip Adjustable Nipple Clamps

-Bondage Boutique Beginners Small Ball Gag

-Bondage Boutique Beginners Silicone Butterfly Riding Crop

-Lovehoney Tease Me Satin and Leather Spanking Paddle

-Bondage Boutique Intermediate Suede Flogger

I tried to find a guide but I couldn't find anything on this topic hence this post. It may be unnecessary to clean these toys for a first use but like I said I'm not sure if it's needed (total noob here). Better safe than sorry, right?

Firstly, don't worry about asking- that's what this forum is good for!

Personally I don't think you need to worry about cleaning a lot of those toys- I have nipple clamps and a riding crop that I didn't clean first. They came well packaged so I didn't really see the point. The same goes for the spanking paddle and flogger I think, these things are packaged up and won't have been used before, so is there really any need?

The ball gag you could just wash with warm, soapy water before the first use as it's going in (someone's) mouth. Aside from that, I probably wouldn't bother!

As an aside- I do use sex toy cleaner on some toys that can't be submersed in water- like my wand for example. I just spray a little bit on to some cotton wool or a cloth and give it a wipe.

Hi and welcome!

As a general rule i'd stick to cleaning things that are in any way internal. I'm not sure if they will but I always think that the smell of new toys is not great so would clean them - anything silicone / plastic i would at least give a rinse in warm water ...

As far as the paddle & flogger go, personally I wouldn't be worried especially if have that new leather smell ...

Sounds like you are in for a fun time .., ever so slightly jealous!

I have that ball gag and washed the ball part (it doesnt matter if the strap gets wet) with soap and water before first use, and after every use since. The others I wouldn't bother cleaning, unless they actually get dirty at any point! Then you will need to get a leather cleaner for anything leather or suede, the metal nipple clamps would prob be best cleaned with washing up liquid and water, the silicon riding crop I would think would be fine with soap and water but I'm not fully sure

Thanks for the quick responses everyone :)! I think I'll stick with only cleaning the ball gag first then, everything is indeed very neatly packaged and completely sealed so it should be fine I guess.

@SR36 I like the tip of spraying a bit of the sex toy cleaner on a cotton wool or cloth first, so far I've only sprayed it on the toy directly but I found that gets really messy as it tends to get runny once sprayed on. Not sure why I haven't thought of that before!

@Alpha123 I agree that some new toys can smell a bit odd although I must admit I haven't smelled the ball gag yet as I still need to unpack it. First time ever using anything like this but I'm genuinely excited about it, I'm sure it'll be fun indeed :)

@LibraLover mind if I ask what kind of soap you use for cleaning the ball gag? I'm thinking washing up liquid?

I think washing up liguid would be best for cleaning the ball gag.

Thanks Lollipop! Gonna see if I can get one of those travel size bottles so I can store some washing up liquid in my bedside drawer and avoid awkward questions lol.

I wash it (and lots of other toys) with bodyshop shower gel as I'm slightly allergic to soap... I think washing up liquid or most soap/shower gels will be fine, probably the milder the better!

Lovely, then I'm all prepared! Thanks so much :) Now I can't wait to try all my new stuff, haha!

Enjoy, also maybe simple shower gel would be good too, you can get that in travel size bottles and it's very mild.

I keep sex toy cleaner wipes next to the bed for things that need a quick clean. I got them from Lovehoney but they stopped selling them, so when they're finished I'll have to source elsewhere

Good suggestion Lollipop, I'll look into that :)

As for the tissues FoxxyFB I have considered those as well, thought it could be handy in case I can't rinse my toys for some reason or during travel. Which ones did you use? I noticed Lovehoney sells these http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15093, maybe they are worth a try? I read in the reviews that some people think they are expensive but I did a search in my local sex store and they sell packets of only 5(!) tissues for €10. That's about £7,40, yikes!

The ones I had were http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29345 and I'm gutted they've been discontinued. I hadn't spotted the ones you linked, so will have a look at those. I know I couldn't be without some sort of sex toy wipe, they're so quick and convenient. For me they're not a substitute for sex toy cleaner, but they're amazing for quick cleans after use if you're too tired to go and wash things properly! Also great for wiping toys over that 'should' be clean after storage etc, just to make sure

The only thing I'd wash is the ball gag, just use normal soap but make sure you rinse it and dry it really well