mooncups

sorry, i have probably put this in the wrong place.

i was wondering if any ladies out there have ever heard of or use a mooncup for their periods?? i have had mine for a little while and really really love it- it's so useful. but recently- once in sept and at the moment- i have been suffering with cystitis. both times have been around my period and i was wondering if anyone knew if they can cause or increase chances of getting urine infections?

i did actually say to my bf once that i felt like if i used it all the time throughout my period it could cause a wee infection. but am interested to hear about any experiences you've had with your mooncup

ps merry christmas everyone! xxxx

I can only find anecdotal evidence to suggest a link, and given the how common cystitis is I wouldn't place too strong a link between the two. There appears to be just as many people saying tampons gave them cystitis and the mooncup solved it.

As with anything of this nature it is best to see a doctor or health professional and see what they think.

i intend to as soon as the doc's reopen again!

I was tempted to try it - but i cant see how it would be at all practical.

Can't say I know anything about whether they cause infections but I'm sure they're fine to use...perhaps there is an increased risk but as long as you practise good hygiene (and mention it to your doc) then I don't see why they would.

I've been meaning to get one to try for ages, I have a nightmare every period I have - pads and tampons rip me to shreds because my skin is just so sensitive so I figured something internal and plastic would be better than the drying nature of external fabric (it's the strings on tampons that cause me problems where they mither the external skin). Got to be worth a go 'ey.

Adx

I debated using these a while ago but hadn't come across anyone who had used one and wasn't sure about them.

Can't speak for the connection between cystitis and the mooncup, sorry. Are they really as good as they say they are?

Inara14 wrote:

I was tempted to try it - but i cant see how it would be at all practical.

they are very practical! they come in a little cotton pouch, you don't ever need to throw them away- can simply take it out, rinse it and pop it back up again! boil in water every now and then to keep it clean etc.

mooncups have quite a thick rim which means that the muscles in the vagina hold it up and it will never fall out! but i think this is what has caused me the infection- the rim putting pressure on the bladder and wee tubes (!)

i think i tend to keep mine in for too long and obviously need to up the drinking when i am using it each month to make sure it doesn't happen again.

despite my current problem- for anyone considering trying it out- i would definitely reccomend it. they are so useful and easy to use once you've got the hang of it

i also think if you don't like it after using it a few times mooncup give you a 3 month guarantee so you can get a refund.

Thanks Kat, I know Ad is looking at one too so it's useful to have some stories from a user.

I've been using a mooncup for about 2 years now. I tried it out of desperation with coping with very heavy periods and being quite sensititve, so tampons tended to irritate. I would hate to go back to not using one. The first few times it took a little getting used to, Since then, I have found it completely reliable and very comfortable to wear. Not to be too dramatic, it's meant that I have the chance to continue normal life instead of my period controlling everything I can do. A couple of bits of advice are to make sure you get the right size - there are 2 and make sure you keep it clean. I sterilise mine when I've finished and wash it with boiling water before the next use. While using it, rinsing it is sufficient. I'd recommend anyone to try it especially as you can get your money back if you don't like it.

Xx

Ps. You can adjust how deep you wear it to overcome any problem you have if you think it s putting pressure on anything.

Sorry if this is a bit *eugh* for anyone reading but say for example you're using it and need to empty it whilst at work - so effectively in public toilets. How do you rinse it out without anyone else seeing what your doing or does it stay in longer reducing the likelihood of this happening?

Thanks for more examples HoneyT!

Does anyone else keep singing 'Moooooncuuuup.com' in their head at this thread?

LittleKitty wrote:

Sorry if this is a bit *eugh* for anyone reading but say for example you're using it and need to empty it whilst at work - so effectively in public toilets. How do you rinse it out without anyone else seeing what your doing or does it stay in longer reducing the likelihood of this happening?

Just empty it in the loo and wipe it clean with loo roll. Then give it a rinse next time. Plus, you can go quite a bit longer without needing to anyway. I used to have to"change" every hour before I started using it now I can last until lunchtime.

Xx

@ Wanda - now I'm going to have that in my head each time!

Not got one, but had looked into it before the coil sorted me out. Think the idea is that you just don't need to empty it. While a full tampon expands so as to be uncomfortable, all that's filling you is liquidy gunk (sorry!) so it isn't putting pressure on the vaginal walls, and thus doesn't irritate you as much. But if you did want to empty during the day, could always carry a wee bottle of distilled water in your handbag to use to rinse it.

WandA wrote:

Does anyone else keep singing 'Moooooncuuuup.com' in their head at this thread?

Can't think why they don't advertise like this on the TV..... External Media

BB & HoneyT - thanks - I had an embarrassing vision of needing to empty and rinse each time and getting caught in the act at the work toilets lol

Think its something I'm going to have to look into again.....

On a related topic, has anyone looked at the Marshmallow ones that can be worn during sex?

This is really not a topic I should be looking at but I feel strangely compelled to. A bit like a car crash if you will

damm you mooncup.com is now ringing around my head

Lots of positivity for the Mooncup - I'm going to have to get one...I keep meaning to but I just don't have periods often enough.

Adx

Shepherdess wrote:

On a related topic, has anyone looked at the Marshmallow ones that can be worn during sex?

no i have never heard of these- how does that work? what do they look like?

katmiaow wrote:

Shepherdess wrote:

no i have never heard of these- how does that work? what do they look like?

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

External Media