Mum saw my sex toy and I'm embarrassed

So I was charging one of my happy rabbits and I forgot it was on the floor in full view and my mum came in and it was too far away from me to hide it quick so out of instinct, I screamed at her to get out of my room which I regret doing. I feel so embarrassed because I find it weird for any of my family to see any part of my sex life including sex toys. Does anyone have advise?

2 Likes

@sharbur I can understand your embarrassment may be a lockable box would be useful for storage. However you are on this world due to your mum having sex. The toy is just assisting with your needs (so to speak).

2 Likes

Surely itā€™s your room, your sex life, It might be embarrassing but you need to own it, you do you!
Embrace it :+1:t2:

But also a little lock box or charging your toys out of sight might help ha

Also Iā€™d apologise to you mum for shouting if you want to, you donā€™t need to tell her anything else than that

2 Likes

Can you have a talk to your mum about your room and it being your own space. Having walked in on my son enjoying his own private time once, that was enough and now make sure to knock and wait. Sheā€™ll likely be just as embarrassed as you are about it. Clear the air and set some ground rules.

She is a sexual being too and most likely went through similar experiences with her mother

1 Like

I actually had a similarish experience. I recieved a broken toy and Iā€™d genuinely never returned anything before so Iā€™d asked my parents about how to do it and they asked to see the ā€˜electronicā€™ to see if they could fix it. I think me immediately saying no Iā€™d rather not gave away away the kind of thing it was :joy: after all that i didnā€™t even need to return it, they just said to bin it :sweat_smile:

Though Iā€™m not really the best example as i think my parents are basically determined to ignore anything related to me and sex until they feel itā€™s absolutely necessary to talk about it (ie when i actually bring home a partner)

But honestly yeah as suggested above Iā€™d just apologise for yelling at her and go from there, if she says anything about it then the conversation can adapt from there

1 Like

I remember hiding my cigarettes and my rabbit in my glove compartment when I moved out so my folks wouldnā€™t find it when helping me to unload boxes ā€¦ then my dad wanted to check my glove to make sure I had an ice scraper, a shammy and god knows what else. He couldnā€™t understand me saying ā€œno leave it pleaseā€.

My advice is get something non conspicuous to store said bunny in whilst chargingā€¦

I would very well imagine that your Mum is aware that you are or you have indulged in some sexual experiences by now. She would not think anything of it if she actually saw it that is. Just carry on as normal and donā€™t think too much of it.
I have had worse, not with a Rabbit I hasten to add, it soon gets forgotten about.

Mums have sex too. Its not the reserve of the young. She probably has a collection of toys thats far larger than yours. Let it go and move on.

1 Like

Reminds me of a couple of funny incidents, first my phone was broken n Iā€™d sent it off for repair n I asked me dad to log in n delete any unimportant e-mails, straight away he goes "lovehoney thatā€™s that sex sight":rofl: my reply was ā€œand donā€™t you know what it isā€, as there was no ads back then. Needless to say that ended that conversation. The other occasion is when the family came up to visit us n dad was helping hubs (My bf back then) take our old bed apart and set the new one up n Iā€™d forgotten about the under the bed restraints n I hears ā€œWhat are theyā€ hubs replies "Oh fuk knows ask Alyssa :see_no_evil:.) He didnā€™t ask though he obviously knew n wanted to embarrass hubs who claims he daint get embarrassed but daint fess up.

Oh then thereā€™s the time weā€™d just moved in together n the folks came to visit n I was showing dad pics n my phone at that time never flicked straight to the next pic so Iā€™d repeatedly try swiping then they all flew by n it landed on a dick pick n dad goes "wife sheā€™s got a pic of his cock :see_no_evil:.) Now me n me dad am sound but me mom letā€™s just say she believes sex shouldnā€™t be spoken about n toys n bdsm are dirty so that was the only time I was embarrassed, why he had to shout it Iā€™ll never know n I mean he shouted it :see_no_evil::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, how do you think you got here haha!

I always think that if a young person living at home is old enough to be sexually active then most of the time itā€™s probably appropriate to have a ā€˜knock and waitā€™ rule for parents. That was always the rule in our house when I was young. Once we were 16 or so and judged sufficiently mature then parents would start knocking and (so long as they didnā€™t suspect anything really unreasonable) the ā€˜open doorā€™ policy when entertaining went as well.

Bet youā€™re not allowed just to wander into their room as you see fit.

1 Like

My mumā€™s the kind of person to knock then walk straight into my room so I understand being on high alert to hide sex toys or just hide having sex. I got a black sex toy storage bag to hide my toys and if I need them to dry/charge after use, I put them on my window sill behind the blinds. You could also have a conversation about personal private space with your mum.
I remember being on the other end of the story when I was 15-16. I was going through my mums room (canā€™t remember why) and found her collection of butt plugs, dildos & wandsā€¦ she has no idea but it was very off putting and I try to hide the memory at the back of my head :joy: :grimacing:

Oh dearā€¦

Little toy box hidden out of sight and out of mind, charging hmmmmm look at doing at descreate timesā€¦
I think lots of people have this problem whether itā€™s parents / siblings or childrenā€¦

My Mum came to visit yesterday (a weekly occurrence). I had left a couple of toys drying on the bathroom window ledge after cleaning them and, though it had crossed my mind to put them away before she arrived, I was in the middle of doing about 10 other things and I reasoned that she tends to use the downstairs loo if she needs to.

Come to her being about to leave and she says "Iā€™ll just nip up to the bathroomā€™. I was like, ā€œI think youā€™d better use the downstairs one, the upstairs one is full of sex toys!ā€. ā€œAh, righto!ā€, she says. Iā€™m not sure if she thought I was joking but she didnā€™t go up.

I find itā€™s better to be honest about these things if you need to be, shame tends to come from trying to hide stuff. Iā€™m not about to be ashamed of my sexuality or what I do in my own house so I was honest, gave her fair warning and that was that.

If I were you Iā€™d get a lockbox and maybe try to remember to charge in a more discreet place. Have a quick word with your Mum, apologise for shouting and say that if she was in any way embarrassed or offended she might want to knock and wait before she enters your room in future. If you feel like itā€™s hanging over you the best way is to just talk about it, clear the air and move on. Youā€™re both adults, Iā€™m sure sheā€™s not as shocked as you probably think.

3 Likes

@sharbur, I think for many of us, weā€™ve all had an embarrassing moment where a family member has found something or caught us masturbating (wasnā€™t a fun time for me), so take comfort in the knowledge that youā€™re not alone! My suggestion would be find a charger near a drawer so you can put it in the drawer whilst itā€™s charging?

Iā€™m assuming either you still live at home or your mum came to visit?

I know that this would be embarrassing but after everything has settled down maybe you could get lunch with mom and just explain it to her about your rabbit and I donā€™t know what yā€™allā€™s relationship is but I hope she would be understanding About your needs and tell her you are sorry for yelling I hope it works out

1 Like

Haha!! Oh dear Iā€™d be horrified too if my parents saw any of my toys but think what Iā€™d do is say nothing unless they say something as chances are on both sides weā€™d pretend nothing was seen to avoid any awkwardness :sweat_smile:

And never know your mum may not have actually seen it when she walked in!

2 Likes

Is your mum very religious, nobody seems to have considered that even today some may see this in a religious perspective? If so, this might make it more awkward to ignore/discuss. If not, as others have said, she knows what human needs are and should accept she should have knocked and waited, and possibly is equally embarrassed by her faux pas.

UPDATE

Me and my mum have spoke and made up. She didnā€™t even see it and she was confused why I shouted at her. We are all good now :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for their replies :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I personally wouldnt have any embarresment over the toy as such, sex is a natural part of life and pretty much everyone has a sex drive. I would apologise to your mother for shouting but im betting your mam isnt as bothered about the toy as you think she is.

Personally Iā€™d just apologies for shouting at her and explain that it was an inappropriate time :man_shrugging:t2: she will understand, as much as it probably a gross thing to think about but Iā€™m sure you mum has sex and all the extras that go with sexual happiness. I had to ask my mum to get something out of my drawer once as I needed it posting to me. In the same drawer was all my anal toys :joy: itā€™s nothing to be ashamed of.

1 Like