My PVC dildo has turned a slight orange/yellow colour, is it still safe to use?

Hi, I’ve had a this this dildo since September and have had no issues with it until now.

Yesterday I took it in the shower with me, as I usually do, and after my session noticed one side of it had turned a strange yellow/orange colour. I use my toys anally so I thought it might’ve just been poop. I clean it with warm soapy water after each use anyway but for whatever reason it wasn’t coming off. I spent a good 10 minutes reapplying more and more soap and scrubbing hard with my hand but it just wouldn’t go away.

Since buying my dildo, I’ve heard that PVC dildos are toxic and porous (why they sell them then I don’t know) and I’m now wondering if what I’m seeing on the dildo is the surfacing of chemicals or some strange reaction to something? In the shower I’m pretty sure my dildo comes into contact with a lot of cleaning products, like soap, shampoo and shower gel, but I only really use water-based lube for penetration. I try not to expose it too much to other substances apart from soap. The water was also very warm if that counts.

I haven’t used my dildo since and this morning I tried cleaning it with soap again, but to no avail. I’m a bit bummed if I’m totally honest as I love my dildo and it feels so good, but now I’m worried that it’s not safe to use and if I should just throw it out. The discoloration is very off-putting. It’s probably due to my carelessness that it’s turned colour but, as I said above, this is the first time since buying it way back in September that this has happened.

Does anyone know what the discoloration could be and is it still safe to use? Since learning more about PVC dildos, I was always worried that my dildo was going to deteriorate at some point but didn’t think it would be this soon, if that’s even what’s happening to it.

Sorry for the slightly icky post but seeing one of my sexy pals turn a strange jaundice colour is a bit of a nightmare for me.

Dildo: Lifelike Lover Classic Posable Realistic Dildo 8 Inch (https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/dildos/realistic-dildos/p/lifelike-lover-classic-posable-realistic-dildo-8-inch/a39023g71715.html)

2 Likes

I’d say stop using PVC dildos all together and just throw it out and invest in a better silicone dildo. Changing colour is a normal thing with PVC after a period of time and this is a sign that the dildo is dangerous to use at all. The only way to use it more safely is to use a condom every single time you use it which is a bit of a waste in my opinion. The only safe materials are silicone, glass, metal and abs plastic. Any other material is toxic and dangerous to be using so intimately. Please invest in something better and throw this one away.

3 Likes

By the sounds of it, the most likely a poo stain although it could be a colour transfer from a yellow/orange/green shower gel or something you’ve stored it with. In any event, you are unlikely to be able to get it out.

Whether it is safe is up to you to decide. Personally, I’m not a fan of pvc anyway so I would replace it.

2 Likes

Sicone dildos also change colour. All plastics are porous to some extent but if you clean them thoroughly they are still safe to use.

4 Likes

We had one a while ago, it was when we wanted to know the differences were between materials feel wise. It changed colour and the colour change looked like a small brown / beige dot, finger nail size. When checked it had a small split on the surface, ever since it has been silicone or glass toys. If you check it for damage first, as has been said it maybe from body wash or shampoo.

Maybe go with Silicone, Glass or Metal?
More Hygenic.

1 Like

‘If in doubt, throw it out’ Would be my advice but I think what your describing is natural staining from using it anally and over time with washing it may fade.
I know with one of my dildos when it got stained I went to town on cleaning it with toy cleaner, soap, dettol and even some heavy stain remover stuff which amazingly worked eventually to fade the discolouration… of course before I dared use it again I made sure all chemicals were cleaned off and hygienically safe.

1 Like

I was rather upset after inserting my beautiful pink Super Smoothie vibrator - to see if it was worth buying something else of a similar size - and noticing quite a small stain. :crying_cat_face: Fortunately it came out after an few days of hard rubbing with soap and hand cleanser. :heart_eyes_cat:

As PVC/TPR and jelly toys are porus, you can never get them fully clean, bacteria can be difficult to remove. I was often getting BV and thrush on a regular basis.

I stopped using them when i had a couple of jelly and pvc toys stored together. It had been a hot summer, they were stored in a plastic box and not used for a few months. When I went to get a toy out, I’d noticed that they were melted together :face_vomiting:

Never bought toys in those materials ever again. Its worth saving up for silicone, glass, steel toys.

2 Likes

I throw anything out that becomes discoloured. The most likely causes are degradation or contamination of the material……It’s not worth the risk.
Time to go shopping!

Silicone toys also discolour and can react with each other if left in contact. I have a couple which have done this already.

Nuke it from orbit.

1 Like