New Forum Feature? - Poll!

Hey All!

Quick poll for y’all! Would you be interested in an open chat feature to replace The Lounge? please note: This is not a private chat space.

Open chat space
  • Yes please!
  • No thanks!
  • Not bothered either way!

0 voters

7 Likes

Before I vote… What’s the difference? What exactly is an “Open chat feature”?

5 Likes

I’m with @Peitho, can we have some more details about how it’s different?

1 Like

Interesting as this was previously not allowed and there were no plans to have a “chat” feature. I’d be interested to see the poll results.

My assumption is that it would look like an iChat window - or a classic IM page, where you could see who’s online and reading/following along, and a little more realtime, rather than waitng for comments to post and all.

2 Likes

I’m with @Peitho and @ChloJakes what is a open chat feature? We could do with knowing a little more. @Lovehoney_Brenna

That’s pretty much exactly it. :+1: For anyone that’s also on Flicklit you may already have seen it in action (*cough* @Peitho *cough* :slight_smile: as well as @iwill and @wildflower, and others). How would you guys describe it compared to topics?

1 Like

Oh… other than the fact chat gets deleted after a set timeframe I really don’t see any difference between that and using the Lounge :woman_shrugging:t2::rofl:. It doesn’t allow you to see who has read messages though does it? Not sure I really want people knowing exactly when I’m online… though since that’s pretty much all the time it probably makes no difference :rofl:.

I think I’m in the not bothered either way group.

Having just had a good play with it on FlickLit, I am pro the new chat feature. It feels more chatty to use and might encourage more chit chat. I like that you can write lots of short statements and they then add together but can be replied to separately if nobody else types in between. My personal preference is for the green now online circles to be omitted though so people can drop in to catch up on chat without others knowing they’re there.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be a little pop up chat box like @LRLRL described.

It would not be a private message chat space, it would still be the entire forum chatting together.

Just a more realtime version of the lounge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@valbowski77 this will not be a private message feature, there are no plans to introduce private messaging as it is impossible to moderate.

2 Likes

Im still relatively new, (in terms of posting a lot or being online) so im not sure how it all works yet but I like the idea of a chat room where it’s a live chat and you can have an actual conversation with each other instead of just catching up with comments hours or days later. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hmmm must admit I’m in the not too bothered either way category so far :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m wondering if this might cause issues with some people who join with the sole intention of hook ups thinking that it’s a private message system ( some people don’t read the forum rules no matter how clear they are) to share personal details :thinking:

Of course I may be looking more at negatives than positives but I have no probs with the lounge as it is.

And a live chat by its nature might encourage more 1 on 1 conversation, is that going to be a problem?

Someone please tell me if I’ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick with it all before I ramble on too much! :rofl:

3 Likes

Not too bothered either. I don’t mind people knowing if i’m online, and am quite happy with The Lounge, as that’s free for anyone to join in on a conversation anyway.
Can’t really see the benefits, but maybe that’s cos i’m old and not too tech savvy!

2 Likes

Ah that sounds cool, kind of like Discord where it’s a live chat stream. I’m down with that. The back and forth would feel a bit more natural. Feels more with the times than having a forum post for general chitchat.

1 Like

(With permission from Brenna… :slight_smile:) I’ve got a couple of mock-ups to share of what it looks like if that makes it easier for people to visualise (you’ll have to imagine the Lovehoney theme and colours :slight_smile:)

Drawer mode:

Fullscreen:

Mobile:

The green halos respect the ‘Hide my presence and profile’ setting, so there is the option to turn it off. :+1:

5 Likes

I’m like @WillC I can’t really see the advantage but I’m not against it particularly. Maybe an age (I’m not old though!) / lack of social media interest thing? The only thing that I’d want to check is that it doesn’t pop up when you’ve closed the webpage but not logged out? I wouldn’t want a LH chat to pop up while I’m showing my parents or friends my holiday snaps for example!

3 Likes

It still lives in the browser the same as the regular topic view. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Ian_Chimp :+1:

The function would be monitored just like every other aspect of the forum…might just keep the momentum of a tooic moving quicker…suppose it would be a suck and see … no pun intended.!!

1 Like

I’m very much collecting splinters and sitting on the fence with this one. Like the old-school chat forums like Yahoo and MSN Chat rooms, where the most common letters typed were ASL? ha ha

I think would be a nice idea, however I think it is likely that it would need a little more in terms of moderation with there always being people newer to LH Forums that want to try and push those boundaries a little more than they should be.
So in that sense, wonder if it makes monitoring a little more difficult, and even though it is in a Public Room, I would expect people will ignore the rules exchanging info etc.,

Other point I’d make is in my last relationship my ex new I was on here, and initially was a little concerned. Once she realised anonymous, no direct 1-2-1 chatting allowed etc., she was fine with it.
However, I think just the presence of a Chat Room would have provided that element of concern. I only say this as I think a lot of people would feel this way, that there is a bit more of a risk element - not because OH is not trusted, more around not trusting people doesn’t know.

After typing, I think I’ve got off the fence. I think it could be a good idea for some, but think it might ring some alarm bells for partners, and for that reason, I am on the keep things as are side of things as it ‘feels’ the safer option.

3 Likes