Nipple piercing migration

Hi just wondered if anyone has experienced this? I got mine done in April and have had no issues but have recently noticed the bars are not as close to my skin now and seem to be moving out!

Can happen just keep an eye on them and do t fiddle with them in sure Jess will be along to advise

Can happen just keep an eye on them and do t fiddle with them in sure Jess will be along to advise

Yep this happened to me. I had both of my nipples done and whilst pregnant with my youngest they started to hurt and I noticed that they'd moved further away from my skin so I took them out and they healed up. Just keep an eye on them- you'll want to remove them before they move too far out if that is ultimately what may happen?

Happened to me too. I just took them out, as they started looking too odd.

Thanks for the replies. Bit gutted though cos I love them and so does G x

I'm sure you can always get them re done once healed properly? Just might have to be spaced a little different to avoid the scar tissue.

I have had them for 2+years now and they have not moved more than a millimetre. They did move slightly in the first 6 months but once they were fully healed have had no more movement. Both have done exactly the same thing too so I guess it's somewhat normal. If in doubt ask your piercer though! They should always be willing to comment on what's normal and what is an issue.

When I had my belly button pierced it did this, I had to take it out in the end. I'd love to get a nipple piercing but haven't because I'm worried it will just do the same.

Do you have other piercings? Most of my piercings have grown out or migrated. I spoke to my piercer who advised me not to get more. I kept getting re-pierced (not my VCH or nipples though) and they just kept doing it again. Apparently I heal quickly causing my body to reject it. If you start to see the jewellery through the skin I would take it out. I didn't until it got really far and now I lack sensitivity 😔

There's some excellent information and advice given already.

I'd just like to say that, although I haven't had this problem on my pierced nipple, there are certain other areas on my body that always push out the piercing (navel, tragus, eyebrow, ear except for the lobe) I've pierced them repeatedly and the result was always the same. Plus, it leaves scars that I still have 10+ years later. Hope my story helps!

If your body pushes out the piercing, I'd advice you not to get your nipples pierced again.

Sadly, this is a common outcome for a lot of surface piercings. It's not as common with nipples, as long as they've been pierced properly, but does still happen.

As you've only had them since April, I would just keep an eye on them for now. They're still healing (nipple piercings take 18-24 months to heal) so some migration is normal.

If they are still moving after another 3 months, or are moving quickly and look as though they'll grow out, remove them and get them pierced again after 3 months, probably by a different body piercer!

What jewellery do you wear?

Wearing hoops, a curved bar or any jewellery that's too long for your piercing will increase the risk of migration.

(Ex body piercer)