Overrated toy reviews

Hello all , this isn't a negative chat , just asking if any of you think some of the toy reviews are a tad overrated. I've read all reviews before buying then spent a pretty penny on toys ( eg : nexus med remote plug and booty blaster ) and expected my head to blow off whilst enjoying them . We enjoy these toys but review wise I've been a little dissatisfied. Fingers crossed practice will take them to the levels of some of the reviews, and won't stop me buying. Anyway .. Just asking??????

Hi, everyone experiences things differently, so what you might have only "enjoyed" another person might have found mind blowing! We are all individual and no two people will experience an item in the same way.

Personally I look for the details in a review that you might not get from anywhere else, such as the feel, firmness, texture, how manoverable a toy is, or how well the suction cup sticks. Is it a dust magnet? Is it loud? That sort of thing.

We have all experienced the euphoria of a new toy that has blown our minds, and many of the reviews demonstrate this. So my only piece of advice would be to try to look for the answeres to the specifics about an item, to see if it would satisfy your needs.

I hope this helps. I generally find the reviews very helpful.

I agree with FunLouise. I don't think that anyone 'overrates' a toy. Everyone is different. One toy might work super well for one person then is a total flop for another.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15359
It's like this one for me. I remember buying this at the start when I first joined as it seemed like the number of good out reviews outweighed the few negative ones, plus it has been mentioned on here quite a few times about how good it is. Even with persistent tries, it's just not for me!

Definitely look for reviews that do mention the nitty gritty details as those are typically the most helpful.

Don't be put off - mosy of the toys I've bought have lived up to expectations! Xx

I do know what you mean, particularly I think with anal toys (whether you are male or female), but to get some perspective I think you need an understanding of the writers level of experience with similar toys. If a reviewer has had similar toys or has used the toy being reviewed for quite some time, then they are likely to be coming at it from a different angle than if it's their first time using such a toy.

I too have the nexus ace medium plug, have had it since about Nov last year but I'm yet to put up a review. First few times I used it I did wonder if I'd bitten off more than I could chew, the size was quite deceptive (I'd used a 4.5inch plug ok, how much bigger could 5.2 be? A lot as it turns out), but anyway, I am now far more comfortable using it and have gotten confidence wearing it for longer periods (once while I was mowing the lawns which was really good), not to the level of orgasm or rock hard erection, but a nice full sensation whilst massaging my prostate.

On the other side, we have the desire rabbit and have used it a few times now, each time Mrs Sen says it catches in her cliterol hood and is uncomfortable, only orgasming once so far despite all the multitudes of good reviews. It was a giveaway with a $spend a few months ago so not wholly disappointed but just surprised. Will give it a few more outings, I may even suggest she has a few solo sessions with it so she can figure out what works (or if it absolutely doesn't)

Dont be too quick to reach conclusions about your purchases, it's a marathon not a sprint

Good replies, I would add that people buy things they think they’ll like, and they tend to review them pretty quickly after purchase. I look for info in reviews that you don’t get from the marketing blurb but take the star ratings with a pinch of salt. I do wish LH allowed reviews to be sorted so you can view them by rating for example.

When reviewing I also try to focus on positives, sometimes I may dislike a toy for some personal reason that may not be a problem for others and while I’ll often mention it, I won’t rate the toy down drastically for it. Reviewing is pretty personal, one thing you can do is actually look at a members profile if you see a review or reviewer you like, it will show you what else they have reviewed and you can get a better idea for their reliability.

KingGrthy wrote:

When reviewing I also try to focus on positives, sometimes I may dislike a toy for some personal reason that may not be a problem for others and while I’ll often mention it, I won’t rate the toy down drastically for it. Reviewing is pretty personal, one thing you can do is actually look at a members profile if you see a review or reviewer you like, it will show you what else they have reviewed and you can get a better idea for their reliability.

I would have thought it was important to make sure you express what the personal reasons are for disliking a toy in a review, should only be positive if the experience is positive to you?

I do think some of the 'free tester' reviews are over the top and as said above, a review of something used a couple of times doesn't mean it will last a year.

Interesting thread and I agree with all the comments. I tried to rewrite a review for a glass butt plug I got last year, but LH haven't posted it after 2 weeks, I presume because it's a repeat. With time the enjoyment or otherwise does change. In my case I was new to anal play and the glass butt plug used to stay in place fine. I've now moved to a large LH butt plug which is much larger. I got out my glass butt plug a few weeks back, but found the flared tip was no longer large enough to stop it fully entering me. I can only speak for myself, but I've written good and bad reviews, I try to be objective and critical as I think it's very important to others to read honest reviews.

Private_member wrote:

KingGrthy wrote:

I would have thought it was important to make sure you express what the personal reasons are for disliking a toy in a review, should only be positive if the experience is positive to you?

I do think some of the 'free tester' reviews are over the top and as said above, a review of something used a couple of times doesn't mean it will last a year.

This depends on what the issue is, if for example The material a toy was made from wasn’t my favorite, I wouldn’t normally rate it down heavily for that unless it was defective or just a horrible material that sex toys shouldn’t be made from. PVC, Silicone, TPE, and jelly etc. . . All have their pros and cons, as I said would mention why I didn’t get on with whatever it was but I think it’s slightly misrepresentative to mark something down for the material when it basically what it is supposed to be and is well made, but just doesn’t suit me. In these cases I might drop 1 mark as opposed to several. That is just a poor example since I’m struggling to think of an actual issue I have had, except for some lube that smelled very strongly (but was otherwise actually very good).  But in truth I have only come across a couple toys that I didn’t care for.

I happen to agree with you on toy reviews but then again everyone experiences them differently. As someone mentioned before, when I first started using toys I was mind blown but now being more experienced in them my starter toys don't seem nearly as exciting anymore. I have several vibes that had rated highly before but now find too weak, and while my opinion has changed my initial review is still out there.
I pay much more attention to the quality of reviews rather than quantity. Some reviewers just happen to include all those things I needed to know and those are the ones I trust the most. I also try to find reviews who have similar needs to mine so it's easier to guess if something will work for me or not. Nevertheless, I wouldn't worry much about it as LH offers such an amazing return policy.

I've bought toys that lots of people recommend on here and has excellent reviews, but sadly just didn't work for me at all.
I'm not affraid to leave negative reviews, but they rarely end up as 1 🌟 because the quality of the toy, noise levels, etc, are usually really good.
Same for testers I receive.

I don't think reviews are overrated, I think as mentioned above everyone has different needs and likes/dislikes. What one person may find amazing another might find to be the worst thing they can imagine. For example I recently tested a g-spot vibrator and I loved it because it was flexible. I know someone who would not like it exactly because it wasn't rigid enough but that's not because of the toy, it's because our bodies are different and respond to different stimulae.

In regards to re-reviewing a toy, unless it was something majorly differrent - ie it exploded or broke a few weeks after I wrote the original review than i would let it stand because at the time of use, the review is exactly what I thought of it.

It's the reason why Lovehoney look for and use different people with different levels of experience for their reviews for testers.

Both begnners and experienced users will have different views on toys because of, well - experience. When I first started using toys I thought a simple one speed bullet was the best thing ever, now, whilst I would still reach for them, it would need to be a rechargeable and have rumbly vibes and have different modes etc to do anything for me. Does this mean the orginal bullet was crap? No it doesn't. It just means that it's a great bullet for beginners and hopefully the reviews will show that.

I always write reviews as open mindedly as I can and often try to say why I think someone would or would not like it, even if I've hated it I've tried to explain the postitives that someone else might be looking for. And yes I've given bad reviews on tester items too because that's the whole point of a review is to be honest.

PT x

More Sexy at 50 wrote:

Interesting thread and I agree with all the comments. I tried to rewrite a review for a glass butt plug I got last year, but LH haven't posted it after 2 weeks, I presume because it's a repeat. With time the enjoyment or otherwise does change. In my case I was new to anal play and the glass butt plug used to stay in place fine. I've now moved to a large LH butt plug which is much larger. I got out my glass butt plug a few weeks back, but found the flared tip was no longer large enough to stop it fully entering me. I can only speak for myself, but I've written good and bad reviews, I try to be objective and critical as I think it's very important to others to read honest reviews.

I can understand why they might not post the second review but I'd check with LH customer care and see if it's a glitch that's just made it not register properly as I've not known them to disregard bad reviews.

What I would say though is that, at the time you wrote the original review your thoughts then are still valid and probabaly more helpful than a restrospective one now. The reason I say this is because the plug hasn't changed - you have. You not only have more experience with anal toys now but you have also effectively "trained" yourself to take larger toys. You've basically taught your muscles to accept larger things and therefore stretched your anal canal muscles/sphincter, so it will have issues holding smaller objects now especially if you had recently used the larger toy.

I have to add that after reading a review you wrote that sleeping with a butt plug in is a very very bad idea! Your whole body relaxes when you sleep and your muscles can move without your knowledge so it was bound to go either out or in, especially with it being glass and very slippy with lube. If it hadn't have been glass you might have had to have a trip to A&E as lube also dries up after time and a jelly/plastic or silicone one would have been more stuck in place.

PT x

Hands up if you think purring tiger works for LH ? ✋🏻. Thanks everyone for the very interesting replies which I've taken on board

Shy and straight wrote:

Hands up if you think purring tiger works for LH ? ✋🏻.

They don’t. If it’s a member of staff replying they’ll have Lovehoney - in front of their username 🙂

Shy and straight wrote:

Hands up if you think purring tiger works for LH ? ✋🏻. Thanks everyone for the very interesting replies which I've taken on board

Haha - I wish! I'd have Lovehoney in my username if I did. I've just been a member for a good few years, sometimes actively using the forum, sometimes lurking ;)

Edit - NatandTom beat me to it hehe

PT x

Reviews are different because of the different experiences people may have, a toy which is too large for one person may seem small or average to another. We all have different bodies and different views on pleasure, so you need to read the reviews and the description to kind of know what your getting.

It’s kind of like someone saying a movie is fantastic and you watching it and thinking it’s mediocre, no one can have the same experience as life does indeed affect us all, for instance we have kids and some toys which are “super silent” in reviews have been too loud for night time sessions, but for pepole who don’t have children it’s probably perfectly quiet. Reviews shouldn’t be seen as definite proof of what you can expect, it’s just one persons experience, it’s a shame you may have lost money so if your toys are not exactly what you expect then contact customer services to see if they can help and get you something which suits your needs

Most of the time I don't even bother reading the (too) good reviews. I'm not interested in another user's mind-blowing experience (no toy will blow my mind), I want to know about possible problems like hard-to-press buttons, too short run times, whether rechargeable batteries can be used - specifics, like FunLouise said above.

If I’ve been sent a tester I’m definitely more thorough in my reviews, I think it’s safe to say most of us are. We’ve been sent an item for free and I certainly want to make it worth their while to send me it. So where some see OTT, I see a fair trade off 🤷🏼‍♀️
I could gush for hours about a toy or lingerie if I’ve really enjoyed it, but what’s good for the goose isn’t good for the gander. There’s so many variables because we’re all individuals with specific needs for our own sexual happiness. There will always be items with poor reviews that actually are amazing for you, and likewise, items with great reviews that aren’t quite ringing the bell for you 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have been contemplating how to best respond to this one as I think you really need to read multiple reviews, think about how you want ot use something and what you are looking to get from it. If you are not certain then reviews may give you ideas for uses, etc.

For toys, this is how I review... what features I loved, like and YES if there are any features I am not so keen on or what did not work for my body / my preferences. I am a tester and have been lucky enough to be selected to review toys on here... the attitude that a review on a tester is all fluff or positve is not true. I just reviewed a tester last week that did not work that well for me, I noted what was not a fit issue for me.

When I read reviews i look for that on toys, sizing / fit descriptions on lingerie to compare. I will also pop into a person's profile to get a better idea of the other products they have reviewed and read those to learn more if I am making a major purchase decision.

While some reviews are more helpful than others, the reviews are one of the reasons I ever made my first purchase from Lovehoney. I also wish I could click directly on the stars and sort ratings by that (similar to Amazon) but all in all it is not a huge deal to click through and find a variety on products to aid in my decision.

I am very honest when reviewing and would never over or under rate on purpose. I do feel sometimes the reviews are excessively long and unnecessary and will tend to just scan over these. Also every person has diffrent opinions on what is big, small, fast etc so that is something to consider when reading a review