Paddle or flogger for a newbie?

Hi, I want to buy something for my partner to spank me with, but I'm not sure what kind of toy would be best from me to get. I don't want something which will be extremelp painful, but a bit of a sting would be nice. Any recommendations?

have they spanked you with their hand before? if so and you enjoyed it it's likely they'll use the right force with a toy of any sort. they feel different bu I'd suggest buying whatever you like the idea of fantasy-wise and the rest will come naturally. also that experimentation is recommended and fun, so maybe get both ;-)

Yes he has. I think I'm leaning towards getting one of each then! ;)

It's a little while till this is going to be back in stock, but you might think it's worth waiting/saving up for:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=19289

Lots of kit!

cool ;-) if it comes to one I'd say paddle has a short loved ooh factor while a flogger stings longer but doesn't have the same impact. it really comes down to what makes you feel like you want to though. I think I prefer a paddle for sensation but a flogger is sexier

Hey Penny5518

We have a huge selection of spankers and floggers to suit all experience levels.

You might like to read our guide to Spanking and Whipping for Beginners

Have a browse through our spankers online and read through the reviews to see which one would be best for you. Here are a couple which you may like to consider to start you off:

Bondage Boutique Silent Spank Furry Paddle

Sprtsheets Fur Paddle

Sex & Mischief 10 Inch Rubber Flogger

Lelo Sensua Suede Whip

You might also like to consider some After Spanking Cream to soothe your skin afterwards :)

Have fun!

We have discovered that what is painful or not is subjective. For example, my partner can reeeeeally slap me with a flogger and I barely flinch, whereas, the paddles really sting and he has to go a little easy. Strangely enough this is the exact opposite for him, he finds the paddles less painful than the floggers and a little flick witha flogger and hes yelping lol (He is a wuss yes! :D)

So I would suggest experimenting to find what you can tolerate. try it with things you have around the house. Wooden spoons, hairbrushes, anything slim like those plant support stick things that can simulate the thinner sting of a cane, a hand, etc Or just try a few different toys and you will find your ideal stimulation because it really is different from person to person. I have friends who love canes but they make me wince just thinking about it. I prefer a wider surface area like a hand or paddle.

The general rule is: The larger the surface area, the more deep the sensation is, more blunt and thuddy, if that makes sense. (Although it still makes your skin sting and tingle, especially leather or silicone materials) The thinner the surface area is, like canes or whips, the more stingy, nipping or biting the pain is. Then it is about finding what kind of pain you want and going with toys that produce that.

Also something to bear in mind is the difference between punishment and funishment. If you are just beginning and you want to enjoy the sensation, then of course choose your fave toys, but maybe one day you might want to get a toy which produces a sensation you do not like. The bad toy, that you get if you have been particularily naughty! That of course is up to you guys and how you intend to play x

Getting a set, like the one Alice linked, would be ideal.

we used a leather flogger for our first time, but we did have a riding crop and i prefered that over the flogger (:

So if I want a duller, thuddier pain, would a paddle be better? I prefer that over a stinging sensation, although a flogger be better as a punishment.

We have the Sportsheets small rubber whip (since delisted, but other similar ones are still available) and find that no matter how hard I flog my OH with it it is almost impossible to actually hurt her. She gets all of the pleasure without any pain. It's great for whipping her nipples and genitals, but I think we may have to buy a bigger one for whipping her backside

After his hand, we started with a paddle that was furry on one side.

We then got a flogger, that takes a bit more practice to use but i love the tease as he can gently drag it across me.

Then we got a riding crop and that is my favourite.

If you are new to it, i would start with a soft sided paddle.

Cant beat OH hand but the next thing is I like the paddle as it can have a wack effect or a string effect which I do find a little painful & I can't handle as it as much when it just a wack its all in the wrist action of T hand . Put I enjoy it alot . - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15242