Paranoid about Phthalates :/

I've had no skin irritation or infections whilst using it so thats good. Would experiencing irritation be a common sign that something is faulty with the toy? You should work for LH you know that! :P xx

Perfectly normal to be worried about them. I only but items that have a guarantee to not contain them. X

No it wouldn't be a fault with the toy, just that the material has soaked up some bacteria which has then been transfered to you internally. Unfortunately some materials, although body safe from chemicals like phthalates, are still known to be porous and allow bacteria to soak in, it's just how they are made. But with you being really careful about cleaning your toys (as everyone should be) then you're probably reducing / eliminating the amount of bacteria the PVC soaks up which is why you haven't experienced any irritations. :)

Haha, oh, if only! Although LH staff are already full of helpful advice on what toys are safe. Though there's a certain high street store that could do with some teaching to be honest. :P x

So PVC material dildos/other sex toys are porous, are there any other materials to look out for just in case? I'm cleaning my silicone sex toy with hot soapy water at the moment and then either letting it air dry or drying it with a towel. Is this ok till I purchase some LH toy cleaner? I didn't realise they told it till I had a proper browse through their essentials page!

Ahhh really? :P I know what you mean, I went on their website and I don't think they even have a forum like LH do. Its really nice and reassuring that you can talk to other customers and they won't judge you :) xx

PVC amongst other materials such as the 'realistic feel' materials and I think skin safe rubber are all the same regarding being porous. And yeah that's absolutely fine. I just use a basic soapy water solution on mine without the toy cleaner, leave them to air dry or dry with a clean towel and they're holding up fine. You can use it though for better peace of mind. :)

Ahhh absolutely! The forum is just an extra awesome bonus with the fantastic service they offer here. Definitely one of my favourite places on the interweb :P. I remember I went into said high street store and asked one of the staff if they sold Rocks Off products...she literally looked at me like I was on crack and had to go ask someone else. I was actually really worried about how little the staff even knew about the brands they sell, she wouldn't have had a chance about the materials the toys are made from! x

Ah ok thats great, I've been using an anti-bacterial handwash with warm water if thats still ok? Also on a separate note, before I discovered LH I bought an Ann Summers gold bullet (http://www.annsummers.com/p/gold-vibrating-bullet/07cshdas1140025) according to the page its ABS plastic, is that still ok to use? I don't use it internally but just wanted to ask about that too. It doesn't have anything on their page about various materials and what they contain, thats pretty concerning! :/ I bet if I ever go in there again I could list all the materials just by looking at the toys, that would creep them out I reckon :P

What are Rocks Off products? xxx

Yeah that's fine. It's what I use on mine. :)

ABS plastic is perfectly fine to use both internally and externally so you are completely safe! Rocks Off is a brand of sex toys: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/brands/rocks-off/ The AS one you have is exactly the same as the Rocks Off RO-80 bullet (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=10157).

Lol, yeah I noticed that they don't have material information on their website...yet another point that proves they're not really concerned with the health and safety of their customers. LH all the way! :P x

Ohhhh yeah I do! Thats quite cheeky cause AS charges for delivery when somewhere else sells the exact same products, thats pretty applicable to most products though.

This is a pretty personal question but I'm sure someone who comes across this thread might find it reassuring too, but do sex toys affect the contraceptive pill? I highly doubt it does as but I think thats my final question really, thank heavens :P once again thank you, you are wonderful xx

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about Phthalates either. I was a little anxious about them too, especially when I had a dildo that seemed to have a lot of them! The packaging stated "Phthalates free" and was sealed in plastic, but when I opened it the stink filled the whole room! I tried airing it and all other things like heating and such to try and force the chemicals out as they react in the air, causing the strong chemical smell. But after 2-3 days I was actually feeling sick from the chemical smell and I had to chuck it out.

It was only later that I discovered about Phthalates, so I'm glad I didn't try to keep and use the dildo!

I note that the toy did not come from Lovehoney!!

Lovehoney states that all of their toys are phthalate free, and as far as I'm aware, they all are. :-)

You don't want to force the chemicals out, they linger and stay in carpets and dust for basically forever.

When it comes to phthalates, I have donbe a lot of research. But due to lack of information in some of it, it's hard to tell what I should and shouldn't share, because I don't want to cause false panic.

I know that they aren't biodegradable. They stay in the air once seeped out. They can get into our water supply and then food supply, in which we return to our food supply after going to the toilet. They can set off asthma (can't spell) attacks, cause allergic reactions, lower the sex drive, mess up periods, cause fertility issues, and may increase the risk of cancer and diabetes.

DIldology is only a small project, but it's a good one.

When reading through all the gov articles about phthalates, the biggest problem seems to be, not that we need to stop using the chemicals, but find an effective method of getting rid of them. I know about a year ago there was an enviroment organization workjing on this, but the documents have vanished since then, which is a shame as those were very helpful articles with images too.

Personally I say avoid them, but in reality, we are all a bit doomed and may never get away from them completely now that we have created them. Although it is easier for them to have an effect on the body when used in the mouth and vagina when compared to surface skin contact.

Rose1234 wrote:

Ohhhh yeah I do! Thats quite cheeky cause AS charges for delivery when somewhere else sells the exact same products, thats pretty applicable to most products though.

This is a pretty personal question but I'm sure someone who comes across this thread might find it reassuring too, but do sex toys affect the contraceptive pill? I highly doubt it does as but I think thats my final question really, thank heavens :P once again thank you, you are wonderful xx

Ahhh yeah, LH beats AS hands down on everything!

Although I'm not on any form of contraceptive, nor have I ever been, I highly doubt that using sex toys whilst on the pill would cause any harm or issues. I'm racking my brain but genuinely can't think of anyway they could, so I'm sure you're fine, haha. :)

And no problem at all hun, glad we've been able to put your mind at ease. :) xxx

SophieM wrote:

Rose1234 wrote:

Ahhh yeah, LH beats AS hands down on everything!

Although I'm not on any form of contraceptive, nor have I ever been, I highly doubt that using sex toys whilst on the pill would cause any harm or issues. I'm racking my brain but genuinely can't think of anyway they could, so I'm sure you're fine, haha. :)

And no problem at all hun, glad we've been able to put your mind at ease. :) xxx

Yeah I e-mailed LH and asked if their sex toys affected the pill and they said no, then I remembered that contraception doesn't actually reach your reproductive system and goes into the blood stream - the two systems are completely separate. What a tit am I!

I'm thinking of purchasing this - http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=22769

Would you say that material is one of the safest out of all? xxx

For some reason that link to the product doesn't work. Its the Lovehoney Satisfy Me G-Sport Silicone Dildo (£14.99, bright pink)

xxx

Haha, yeah I couldn't think of anyways it would be possible for toys to interfere with it, but its better to be sure :P

The link isn't working for me, but when I search the product code it brings up the Satisfy my g-spot silicone dildo...is this the right one? If so then silicone is one of the best materials to use as it's perfectly body safe. No latex or phthalates and it is non porous as well. :) xx

EDIT: just seen your second post, haha. Yeah perfectly safe!

I have bought 3 Doc Johnson American bombshell plugs in Sil-a-Gel in the last year from LH, it says "phthalates free " but is that true ????

Doc Johnson are the worst culprits. I'd very much doubt that claim, but even if the statement is true, nearly all their toys are porous, therefore you can't clean all the bacteria which harbours over time and then possibly causing infections.
The only safe toys from Doc Johnson are the ceramix and icicles ranges and the odd silicone dildos they do.

Doc Johnson does claim that all their products are phalate-free. However, Dangerous Lilly (quite prominent sex toy blogger) wrote about some other concerns a while back:

http://dangerouslilly.com/2014/08/ask-lilly-what-is-sil-a-gel/

http://dangerouslilly.com/2016/07/doc-johnson-sil-a-gel-chemical-burns/