Parents heard us!

What do you say to parents that happen to hear you having fun?

I woke my partner up at 4am this morning for sex and I assumed being so late that parents would be sound asleep lol seems my dad got up to go to the toilet and I didn't hear him walk across the landing, heard us and obviously told my mother too >.<

Woke up this morning and dad gave me a look and was told to keep it down and not be so inconsiderate.

I got defensive and said it was different when I heard you two as a kid and upset me and walked off from the conversation.

Tell them to put the radio on like in Gavin and Stacey (Baby I want you come, come, come into my arms. Let me feel the wonder of all of you). On a serious note though it is really awkward you just have to avoid being caught or do it as discreetly as you can when they’re in. We’ve had this problem as a couple, you can’t really go for it when they’re in, instead we just end up using toys on each other. Luckily we’ve just bought our first house and should be moving in soon so we can be as loud as we want.

Ah hun. I hate to say it but if it's their house its their rules. I understand you snapped as you were probably embarrassed and put on the spot. But I think maybe make them a cuppa and apologise.

1 Like

Mrs.John wrote:

Ah hun. I hate to say it but if it's their house its their rules. I understand you snapped as you were probably embarrassed and put on the spot. But I think maybe make them a cuppa and apologise.

I'm usually not loud at all, but I was this time and didn't realise how loud I was >.<

We have just been alerted to the fact that our kids can hear us. Eldest teen said, over dinner, "You two were talking quite loudly downstairs a couple of nights ago. Just thought I'd say as it kept me awake." Very mature of him.

I repled, (knowing full well that he didn't mean 'talking' or 'downstairs'), "Would you like us to be quieter?".

He said, "yes, please". And that was that.

I was a bit mortified but I do want them to grow up knowing that a healthy sex life is part of a healthy adult relationship. My OH just said we should take it on board - son wasn't embarrassed or upset.

If you share a house with others you just have to be a bit more discrete and take the hint if you are called out for disturbing others, I think. Take advantage when everyone else is out of the way!

We are adults and that's what adults do! But yes, if it's their house then I guess be a little more discreet if you can ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif)

Their house their rules unfortunately that is the way it is. They probably don't want to think of you engaging in such activity even though they knew you did. By being noisy it was kind of rubbing their face it it. I would keep enjoying yourself just a little quieter. Or find an alternative location... 🤔🤔🤔

WE've had sex at her parents house once, new years and middle of the night. Fortunately we could hear them snoring. We've also had sex in her grandparents house where the bed was a LOT louder and we had to be a little more creative thankfully they're hard of hearing! I'm not sure what her or I would say if caught or it was mentioned.

I'm a bit way out with my opinions, so feel free to ignore me.

Are your grandparents still about? Could you ask them how they dealt with their child having sex? At the end of the day you don't want to upset them, but still your an adult and should be able to enjoy some sexual fun without reproach. You were being considerate by waiting until a time you thought they would be asleep.

Maybe buy them some ear plugs that you hand to them when you are planning some fun.

Fun Louise wrote:

Are your grandparents still about? Could you ask them how they dealt with their child having sex? At the end of the day you don't want to upset them, but still your an adult and should be able to enjoy some sexual fun without reproach. You were being considerate by waiting until a time you thought they would be asleep.

Maybe buy them some ear plugs that you hand to them when you are planning some fun.

Great thoughts but my kids' grandparents are in their 70s-80s. If they heard the word s-e-x (and, yes, one of them spells it out rather than saying it) I'd have to fetch the smelling salts.

Luckily, OH and I are more liberally minded.

I think if everyone is living under the same roof then some consideration for others is important. But it is important too to recognise that adult children have a right to a personal life. Bit of a balance to strike but I'm sure it can be done and hopefully it isn't a permanent living situation.

MsR wrote:

Fun Louise wrote:

Great thoughts but my kids' grandparents are in their 70s-80s. If they heard the word s-e-x (and, yes, one of them spells it out rather than saying it) I'd have to fetch the smelling salts.

Luckily, OH and I are more liberally minded.

I think if everyone is living under the same roof then some consideration for others is important. But it is important too to recognise that adult children have a right to a personal life. Bit of a balance to strike but I'm sure it can be done and hopefully it isn't a permanent living situation.

Being disabled, I'm still on the adapted housing waiting list, but considering there is over 100,000 waiting, I'm not holding my breath, so my partner stays over for a few nights each week.

Last night I found them to be a bit hypocritcal as I heard them last night, so put some ear plugs in and called them out on it this morning considering I was told about it.

I can remember being at my in laws in Miami and bed made a lot of noise so we had to do it on the floor