pictures of clothes models wear versus reality

Is it just us, or do others find that the promotional pictures of the models wearing an item often does not correspond to what is actually being sold?

Some sites we have ordered stuff from have pictures so far removed from the actual item that arrives that we wonder how they get away with it. The said garments never saw the light of day past the first time it was tried on.

Lovehoney is OK like this, but we have still noted detail differences, like a set that comes with stockings where the stockings are different, for example. Additionally, we are certain that the models' garment has been doctored to make a more attractive fit - we are not naive enough to think this isn't commonplace, but it is a little disingenuous.

One of the advantages of the reviewers posting their own pics is that you have a more real world idea of what you will get. We have a few items on our 'interesting' list that we are holding fire on because we have doubts that the reality will look anywhere as good as the model pic. We will wait for more reviews for those

Belles

I've found that LH is usually pretty good.

It's also comforting to know that they do free returns for any reason, no questions asked, so it might just be worth taking a risk and if it doesnt look like you had hoped, you can easily send it back.

Good point - some of the stuff we got was from either overseas or less honourable companies. Mind you, that didn't mean cheap, we have a couple of expensive failures at the back of the drawer

With free 365 day return, you can't really go wrong. I wouldn't buy underwear online because I'd be worried about the fit. LH is the only exception because I know I'm not going to be charged £5 to return an item that doesn't fit or isn't how it looked in the pictures. I also like looking at members photos as you get a better idea of what an item looks like on a normal person xxx

I think some of the models look wildly out of proportion but that may be the manufacturers hugely photoshopping the pics? One in particular is a blonde barbie type who stares vacantly but if she has that figure in real life she must need a zimmer frame to walk places without falling over or breaking LOL

The clothes on the queen size models make them look lovely, lush and healthy :)

Thats their bodies discussed! That said the clothes I have bought [or been bought] from here do generally look like the clothes in the product photos. I like the way there are sometimes pics of a 'real' person wearing the item so you can see it in 'real life' too :D xxx

I've only ever had one problem like this. The victorian corset from LH looked very different in the photo to the cheaper version i was sent. LH being as amazing as ever tho, gave free returns and a full refund - they've now changed the photo (to our very own mistress cara) wearing the real thing.

I have been on many a photoshoot and stylists/photographers will use many tricks of the trade before it gets anywhere near photoshop. the most common of which is bulldog clips all the way down the models back to get a snug fit without any creases. some shops on the high street even do this on their mannequins!

You can't always believe what you see, but with LH's amazing customer service you needn't worry at all.

x

masterandslave wrote:

I've only ever had one problem like this. The victorian corset from LH looked very different in the photo to the cheaper version i was sent. LH being as amazing as ever tho, gave free returns and a full refund - they've now changed the photo (to our very own mistress cara) wearing the real thing.

I have been on many a photoshoot and stylists/photographers will use many tricks of the trade before it gets anywhere near photoshop. the most common of which is bulldog clips all the way down the models back to get a snug fit without any creases. some shops on the high street even do this on their mannequins!

You can't always believe what you see, but with LH's amazing customer service you needn't worry at all.

x

I thought that pic on the product page looked like Mistress Cara! I had no idea it actually was.

sneaky.... in this community bulldog clips normally are used elsewhere, we suspect....

Belles

Ecksvie wrote:

masterandslave wrote:

x

I thought that pic on the product page looked like Mistress Cara! I had no idea it actually was.

Yes it was changed after I sent mine back and I guess several others did too - it was new about september and its now in the sale! The original pic showed a very cinched in waist and a creamy coloured corset, the one i got was yellow with a different pattern and just a standard corset curve. Now it's Mistress Cara in the pic with the corset they send out.

x

Belle_djour wrote:

sneaky.... in this community bulldog clips normally are used elsewhere, we suspect....

Belles

Yep it's used more often than you think! In both circumstances!!!

x

*blushes*

A walk around the shops at lunchtime showed Masterandslave is totally right - there were more mannequins WITH clips than without, and some I thought weren't actually had pins if you looked closely. No bloody wonder the clothes never seem to fit the same way!

Made us think though - if that's what it takes to make the difference between merely looking good and 'WOW', we'll try and learn how to adjust them. Might be tricky with some of the complicated ones, but where they are simple we could recover some tragic failures!

Mothers and Mother-in-laws come to mind as well, except for some of our more *cough* unusual stuff...

Belles

Of course this doctoring goes on with everything.

Just gotta make your own judgement.

SG69

Time to make bulldog clips a fashion feature then! ;o)

I'm pretty used to buying things that don't look the same... annoys me with skirts as I'm a shorty. I buy sommething if it's pretty and cross fingers and hope that it fits!

In the olden days, (cue the 'Hovis' advert music and pictures of bakery delivery boy riding his bike downhill) all the families would have someone who could mend any broken clothes or adjust clothes for sibling number 1 for sibling number 2 when they grew out of it. An advantage of the modern society is that mass production brings costs down so we can afford all these lovely things, but with it comes the loss of skills that means we don't know basic needlework any more.

we win on the swings, we lose on the roundabouts

Belles

That is so true! I can't knit to save a life but I can sew when I get my arse into gear. Saying that I wouldn't bother with clothes being as cheap as they are, unless it was something I really coveted!

yeah, but when some of these items of clothing are close, but not quite right, it's frustrating enough to make us do something about it.

We both cook, but neither sew, that should be remedied

Belles

yeah, but when some of these items of clothing are close, but not quite right, it's frustrating enough to make us do something about it.

We both cook, but neither sew, that should be remedied

Belles

I saw a skirt I liked.. not often I do as I'm short and they always make me look like a little girl in them. But I saw this skirt and it looked the right length so I wouldn't look like a dumpty bottle. But it wasn't the right size, and it was in the reject box with a broken zip. I took the thing home, knew it would look good. And I sewed it so I have one skirt that makes me look like I should!

I think like cooking, all it takes is a bit of confidence.

Point taken

And no-one will get food poisoning from a badly taken in basque...

Belles

Lol... you do have a point there. But poking yourself with a needle is not everyone's idea of fun