Possible privacy issue?

Hi, firstly i have absolutely no complaints about delivery and privacy, but i know a few people do so i thought i would ask this to hopefully get some clarification. I have ordered many times before, but with my latest order something different has happened.

this morning i received an email from Royal Mail (not through lovehoney) to tell me that my order is at the deopt to be delivered today. Firstly how did Royal Mail get my email address?

Secondly, heres the emil

Dear Customer,
Royal Mail has received your item from LOVEHONEY LTD at *my towns* DO Delivery Office. Your item is now ready for delivery and we'll attempt to deliver it today subject to any alternative instructions that you've previously agreed with us.
Regards,
Royal Mail.

I may be wrong but i thought all the packaging and everything was [the secret phrase] and not advertised as lovehoney? Does that mean anyone at the delivery office logging on to check the status of orders would see its from love honey?

Like i say, i have no problem with royal mail and would hate the thought of waiting in for a courier! Their service is second to none. Just slightly odd that ive received an email like this from them considering they have never contacted me in the past to let me know where my order is.

I have had 2 orders from love honey one last Thursday and one on Saturday I got an email from royal mail exactly the same about my Saturday delivery and the post lady gave me a weird look when she handed me my parcel don't know if the look was just coincidental or if she had seen were my parcel had come from on her tracking thingy.

Hi there, you should speak to Live Chat about this. Also, as you are concerned about privacy, you shouldn't really put your personal tracking number on here - you should probably ask LH to remove this for you xx

If you need an answer to this quickly, best asking Livechat.

I personally have only ever received an email like that when i've ordered something via Express/Special delivery - never received an email like that about a LH order though, so not sure what's going on there.

Oops yes Lh please remove my tracking number!

im personally not bothered if the post office know where its from but i know some people are so i thought i would ask. Like i say its the first time ive encountered this so didnt know if its a new policy or something.

eta live chat are contacting someone to delete the opening post with the tracking number so this may not make sense anymore! What a wally i am!

I have never had an email like that before.. maybe when I went to track where it was prehaps? (or am i going insane on that?).

I've only ever had one incident and still to this day I dont know how it happened but I was getting sent a large toy from here, missed the driver and so I went to pick it up from Royal Mail. The guy who I always see handed it to me and whispered something along the lines of, him and his wife always wanted one but he couldnt afford it and I was a lucky lady.

Kinda gobsmacked I wandered out and still wonder if I imagined it :/. Can only guess they scan big packages (as it was a massive box)?! or it got opened at some point.

Also seconding what Scorpius said about your tracking no, someone should remove it.

Eek im getting worried now! Hopefully someone will edit it soon for me!

JM88 wrote:

Um maybe report your post yourself and explain in it ? Might speed it up xx

JM88 wrote:

I have spoken to Live Chat for you, and they are dealing with it :) x

Thanks everyone! I did live chat it but then got worried and thought i would report it. My first ever reporting of a message and it was my own!

lesson learnt!

Thank you whoever changed it! :D i would sent you a virtual pint if i could!

Tracking numbers don't normally give out much information, other than that it's out for delivery or the name of where the delivery office is, I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

The Royal Mail have started doing this after many complaints of their delivery service not being up to scratch, and so are starting to mimic private delivery numbers.
They get your email from whatever site you're buying from, but it's an automated system. The email just gets sent out automatically, allocated on tracking numbers. It gives you greater knowledge over the tracking of your parcel, and will make it easier to hold the right people accountable for non-deliveries, damages, lateness etc.
It will be a 'fill-in-the-blanks' email system, so no human will actually input the information linking the Lovehoney company and any specific person.

It could only really be a privacy issue should the data files ever be made public, but they're likely deleted around a week after the parcel is confirmed delivered, because obviously no dispute can be raised after that, so there's no point keeping it.

It's nothing to worry about, but if you are that bothered, it might be worth talking to Royal Mail about opting out of the system, though I'm unsure if there's anything they can do.

Thanks, now i understand!

I think it caught me off guard as it was the first time i had contact from royal mail, usually its just love honey with the confirmation of dispatch email. I can see why they are doing it though if there have been issues with late deliveries or lost orders especially over xmas time!

Hi,

Sorry for the concern over this new feature.

The delivery notification emails that come from the Royal Mail system are entirely computer-generated - nobody at Royal Mail reads them.

The only human that reads the email is the person who receives it so there is no privacy concern.

Regardless, we are working with Royal Mail to change the name in the email to our secret phrase.

Thank you,

Richard

I received the same email this morning, I'll check out the look postie gives me when I open the door lol
Like stated above I'd expect the company name to appear as the secret phrase and would personally be happier if this is sorted

Update: Checked out the RoyalSnail FAQs and Help Centre. The email donotreply@royalmail.com is their legitimate email, and not on the list of spam and/or virus emails that they have had reported.

I've sent them an email to ask for confirmation, and as said the staff here are working to sort it out to appear as LH :)

fairehlights wrote:

Update: Checked out the RoyalSnail FAQs and Help Centre. The email donotreply@royalmail.com is their legitimate email, and not on the list of spam and/or virus emails that they have had reported.

I've sent them an email to ask for confirmation, and as said the staff here are working to sort it out to appear as LH :)

Noreply@royalmail.com was mine.

Quick question, i thought LH banned putting the returns address in posts etc to prevent it throwing up the site when it was google searched, and was the reason it appears on the returns page imbedded in an image?

JM88 wrote:

fairehlights wrote:

Noreply@royalmail.com was mine.

Sorry, so was mine. I'm a moron and can't read apparrently :')