Possibly allergic to Sliquid, need new lube :(

After having a allergic reaction to liquid silk, I decided to try Sliquid H20 after reading positive reviews, but unfortunately, I found that it did sting a little when I applied it around my vaginal opening and I was left with a slight heating or a burning sensation afterwards. Must be the citric acid that might have caused the reaction. Maybe I’m still recovering from the allergies that I have suffered down there so I’m not sure if I need to wait until I fully heal before using any lube. Preferably I might need a lube that doesn’t contain parabens, propylene glycol and citric acid. Can anyone recommend a good lube for sensitive skin? It’s gonna be such a pain to find the perfect lube if I react badly to too many ingredients :frowning:

2 Likes

YES oil based and sliquid silver (sliquids silicone lube) dont have citric acid so might be worth a try.
If your using condoms or silicone toys though its going to be a massive pain finding something compatible without a preservative.

Having had nasty allergic reactions myself, it is possible fpr your skin to get sensitised and then react to stuff that under normal conditions youd be fine with. So it might be worth just avoiding stuff untill it all calms down down there

3 Likes

We use the durex naturals range and seems a good long lasting lubricant. There are 3 varieties but I can only see lovehoney stocks 1 at present. Durex naturals pure.

Ingredients: Aqua, Glycerin, Propanediol, Xanthan Gum, Inulin, Benzoic Acid, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccheride, Potassium Lactate, Lactic Acid

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that! I really like the sliquid organics natural line (H2O, gel, and silk) :confused:

I don’t think I have any allergies to any of the lubes I’ve tried, but I sometimes get some stinging feelings around my clit, but I think it’s from the friction of overusing my silicone clitoral vibrators :laughing: I really like the Yes brand lubes (or AH YES if you’re in the US) to use along with my toys, but sometimes I’ll just put spread some of the YES water based lube or YES vaginal moisturizing gel around my clit and vaginal opening after a session. They both have aloe vera, so they’re really soothing, but they still have citric acid :thinking: I haven’t tried the YES oil based lube, but if you want to try an oil based lube, note what the LH Lube Guide says about them:

We wouldn’t recommend using oil-based lube internally (in the vagina or anus), nor with condoms, and in terms of sex toys, it’s only compatible with ones made of glass or metal.

Hope you find something that works for you :hugs:

2 Likes

I had a similar issue and seemed to be allergic to everything out there. I’d definitely recommend waiting until you are completely healed before trying anything else. If your skin is raw then anything you put on it will sting for a while and make things worse, also you’ll start to think you are allergic to things that you are not. I didn’t get on with sliqid H2O but I’m fine with their natural gel one.

Lots of people recommend Yes lubes. I didn’t get on with them at the time but I think that might be because I didn’t let myself heal properly before trying so I don’t think i’m actually allergic but just scared to try again! I also get on well with silicone lubes (I use Skyn) because silicone doesn’t react with anything.

I assumed that, as someone with sensitive skin, I should stick to natural lubes but someone suggested that just because something is natural doesn’t mean that it is good for your skin, there are lots of natural products that would be very bad for your skin and it is possible to be allergic or sensitive to natural ingredients. I wouldn’t rule out synthetic materials if you’re sensitive.

Personally I wouldn’t use oils because I’m prone to thrush and oils can affect the natural pH levels and the balance of bacteria and hence can cause thrush if you’re particularly prone to getting it! Might not be a problem for you though - just going on what my GP said.

3 Likes

Hi @anon37546479,

Welcome to the forum.:wave:

Interesting question…
I’m not sure whether you’re experiencing an allergic reaction to the Sliquid lube, or something else, going by the description. :man_shrugging:Sounds like it’s really not fun though!

My wife’s also previously had a problem with Liquid Silk seeming to cause some sort of irritation or allergic reaction, and won’t go near it these days.

She also occasionally has minor issues with Sliquid’s Sassy and H2o lubes. We’ve put this down to when she’s had any sort of prior irritation. Sassy/H2o goes a bit draggy if it dries out, when used externally particularly, so we add a drop or two of clean water or more lube for reviving it and making it slip-slidey again. We also tend to wipe off excess from her skin afterwards.
But generally Sliquid has worked best for her (so far) in helping avoid imbalances that cause thrush, etc. So we’ve stuck with it in spite of the occasional inconvenience.

As far as I understand it (and I’m far from being an expert) a healthy vaginal pH is quite a bit lower than the neutral pH so any good vaginal lube should be formulated to reflect this much lower pH environment. My assumption has been that citric acid is used to lower the pH in the Sliquid product.

I’ve noticed when eating sour sweets (packed with citric acid) they can really sting if there’s any sort of damage (like abrasion from a cola cube, say), but normally they’re fine. Dunno if this might be similar to what you’re experiencing?

This all does makes me wonder: does this low pH mean any good water based lube will sting on areas of damaged or broken skin? :face_with_monocle:

Like @Kitty-Cat01 I recommend you give yourself a break to heal fully. Then maybe try out a few different lubes and see which work best.

Good luck in you search​:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Yep! I think that’s the case, it’s important for maintaining the correct pH. And I would think that lube on broken or irritated skin would sting, a bit like peeling an orange when you have a papercut. :grimacing: Maybe not quite so bad since the pH won’t be as low but it’s sensitive skin so more likely to sting.

1 Like

Hey congratulations on your first post and sorry to hear your skin is very sensitive to many lubes, have you tried lovehoney’s water based lubes before as might be more catered to sensitivity?
Alternatively I’d do a general search on the internet for lubes for sensitive skin.

I started reacting to Sliquid too :tired_face:

The only water based lube I have tried that doesn’t feel of anything at all is called Sutil. It’s expensive and LH don’t stock it (they really should though, it’s great).

Apart from that, you’re best off with silicone lube, but that doesn’t always play well with toys.

(Oil based like YesOB is another option, but it makes me smell weird for a few days after so I don’t use it vaginally! Your mileage may vary of course!)

1 Like

Yeah this time I should wait before trying any more lube and be a bit more patient. I was a bit desperate to try it out since I haven’t been able to use my toys as much or masturbated a lot ever since I’ve been allergic to liquid silk and it didn’t help that I kept doing things to aggravate my skin which could have slowed down the healing process. Citric acid could be harsh on irritated skin.

Although I do worry that repeated exposure to citric acid might leave me feeling sore again even after I heal.

I was planning on purchasing the lovehoney ones but it has propylene glycol in it which i believe i might be allergic to so I didn’t want to risk it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m thinking about trying a lube with the least amount of ingredients in it so I could reduce my chances of an allergic reaction to some extent. Maybe sliquid lube might work if i fully heal. If the organics/natural lubes don’t work for me I might try out lube with glycerin, i read somewhere glycerin might be good substitute if allergic to propylene glycol (only if it doesn’t cause yeast infection) but in the mean time I’ll just make a list of the lubes that I might try and pick something at some point

I appreciate all the suggestions so far xx :smile:

1 Like

Oh yikes! Yes defo give it a miss then if allergic to that ingredient :see_no_evil:
As a last resort some people fully use their own spit or precum as lube as its our body’s natural way to lube up