Post-coital headache/coital cephalgia

I did a search but all I could find was more than 12 months out-of-date, hoping some of the newer members may have more information.

I have had post-coital headaches since my early teens, they come in clusters lasting a few days or weeks and then they go again for months or even years. As I orgasm, either from masturbation or sexual contact with a partner, I get an instant explosion of intense pain throughout my head. The pain is almost unbearable for the first 30-60 minutes and then eases a little but stays with me for 24-48 hours. It is terrifying for anyone who sees it and fairly scary for me. My OH forced me to go the the hospital with it a few years ago when I experienced three "attacks" within a few days of each other - they kept me in because they were concerned about me having a stroke (BP was 188/118) but once it had settled down 12 hours later they diagnosed post coital headaches and sent me home - the only advice being to avoid orgasms for a while.

I was wondering if anyone else here suffers from this and if they have found any ways of coping. I haven't had an attack in months until last week when I had a major one and then rather stupidly gave myself another a couple of days later when I just felt so randy I couldn't resist having a little solo play one afternoon. I knew I was at high risk of another headache and yet just couldn't stop myself - perhaps more willpower is all I need but I enjoy sex and don't want to go without if it can be helped. So can anyone put forward any ideas as to avoiding these attacks or making them less painful?

Sorry, I seem to have written an essay!

MJB

I think this may fall foul of the no-medical advice warning, but sorry you're having a hard time. Your doctor needs to give you proper advice.

MJB wrote:

I did a search but all I could find was more than 12 months out-of-date, hoping some of the newer members may have more information.

I have had post-coital headaches since my early teens, they come in clusters lasting a few days or weeks and then they go again for months or even years. As I orgasm, either from masturbation or sexual contact with a partner, I get an instant explosion of intense pain throughout my head. The pain is almost unbearable for the first 30-60 minutes and then eases a little but stays with me for 24-48 hours. It is terrifying for anyone who sees it and fairly scary for me. My OH forced me to go the the hospital with it a few years ago when I experienced three "attacks" within a few days of each other - they kept me in because they were concerned about me having a stroke (BP was 188/118) but once it had settled down 12 hours later they diagnosed post coital headaches and sent me home - the only advice being to avoid orgasms for a while.

I was wondering if anyone else here suffers from this and if they have found any ways of coping. I haven't had an attack in months until last week when I had a major one and then rather stupidly gave myself another a couple of days later when I just felt so randy I couldn't resist having a little solo play one afternoon. I knew I was at high risk of another headache and yet just couldn't stop myself - perhaps more willpower is all I need but I enjoy sex and don't want to go without if it can be helped. So can anyone put forward any ideas as to avoiding these attacks or making them less painful?

Sorry, I seem to have written an essay!

I had this happen to me once, and holy shit, I mean, I get migraines regularly so I know what a bad headache is like, but with this I really thought I was having a stroke or something! I went to hospital and they found nothing wrong, gave me some horrible pink goo to drink which made my stomach hurt, and a couple of days later it was gone.

I have been incredibly fortunate never to have one again so unfortunately I can't help you with coping. However, I do keep cold packs and tinned drinks in the fridge all the time just to have cold things ready at a moment's notice, and when I get a bad migraine I hold the cold tins against my head and that can be absolutely blissful. This works great with a fleshlight insert straight from overnight in the fridge as well. When they warm up they go back in the fridge and I swap them out for some cold ones.

It won't cure you, but the cold things on my head really do help a lot with the migraines, so maybe they'd help you as well. Good luck, I really feel for you.

I do sometimes get post-coital headaches but it's always after particularly long and energetic sex sessions so I'm pretty sure it's just down to dehydration.

I'm not a medical professional so I would advise visiting your doctor, explaining the situation and asking for referal to a neurologist. If your GP isn't helpful, be insistant...let them know how much its affecting you and if you still don't get any joy ... see another doctor who's more sympathetic! Never accept dismissal from lazy, unprofessional doctors, they are there to make everyone better, not just the cases they understand or find interesting. It's your health and your sex life...go get the help you need to be well and satisfied!

xxKPxx

I agree with imeldaimelda, see your doctor, write down all the symptoms you have (even if you think they may be irrelevant) and tell them how this affects you. If they don't offer you any kind of advice then try again, with a different doctor and keep at it 'til they give you proper advice. Noone should have to just "put up" with anything like that, and headaches can be concerning so it's worth getting checked out,.

Ax

Sadly and tragically don't stay awake post coital long enough to get a headache!!!

TB

Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't after medical advice as such but re-reading my post I guess I did actually ask for it, sorry! I think what I wanted more than anything was confirmation that I wasn't the only person that gets this - doing a google search is one thing but actually "talking" to someone who has experienced this just makes it seem a little less like I'm making a big thing out of nothing.

It isn't normally a major problem for me, like I said before, I can go months or even years without an attack but they tend to come in clusters and I seem to be in the middle of a cluster now. I know that the only way to avoid another attack is to either avoid sex or have sex but not let myself get close to an orgasm. Guess I was just hoping for a miracle cure!

MJB wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

I wasn't after medical advice as such but re-reading my post I guess I did actually ask for it, sorry! I think what I wanted more than anything was confirmation that I wasn't the only person that gets this - doing a google search is one thing but actually "talking" to someone who has experienced this just makes it seem a little less like I'm making a big thing out of nothing.

It isn't normally a major problem for me, like I said before, I can go months or even years without an attack but they tend to come in clusters and I seem to be in the middle of a cluster now. I know that the only way to avoid another attack is to either avoid sex or have sex but not let myself get close to an orgasm. Guess I was just hoping for a miracle cure!

You aren't making a big thing out of nothing at all....it sounds like a very difficult thing to deal with, I don't get headaches but I do deal with pain on a different level and it really can have a massive affect on your life so it most certainly isn't "nothing"! You deserve the proper medical attention you need and you should take it seriously rather than worrying about whether it's "nothing" or not....if it affects you enough that it is having a negative affect on your sex life then it is not nothing!

No miracle cure I'm afraid, but I'd definately give the doctors a go!

Ax

That sounds horrible - you have my sympathies. Yes ... going to see the Dr sounds a very good idea.

I'm afraid I'm quite the opposite - if I've got a headache, sex makes it go away ... Perhaps I'm just lucky?

Magic Hands wrote:

MJB im so sorry for you... My uncle was the same. He had really bad headaches for a bit. (i dont mean to scare you here) Untill one day it was really bad and he colllapsed and blacked out. He was rushed to hospital and a scan on the head found he had a blood clot on the brain that had built up over years. They managed to save his life the doctors and surgens before to was too bad. Hes as right as rain now though. But the only reason im telling you this is because, that was my experiance of how your headaches are. Fingers crossed that its nothing like that but have you not had a scan??

I hope that it is just something to do with over excitment and things like that. Take care x

Just a point....that is a VERY extreme example and it is highly unlikely that you have this problem MJB - but it's one of the reasons people are so cautious to give advice on this topic, head problems should be treated with caution and you definately should see a doctor, but don't scare yourself with information like this, just use it as a reminder that doctors are best consulted.

Ax

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I look forward to putting some more interesting queries to the OA when these current headaches pass!

Magic Hands wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Just a point....that is a VERY extreme example and it is highly unlikely that you have this problem MJB - but it's one of the reasons people are so cautious to give advice on this topic, head problems should be treated with caution and you definately should see a doctor, but don't scare yourself with information like this, just use it as a reminder that doctors are best consulted.

Ax

Its not a very extreme example. Its a real one that happened. He let the headaches build up over the years. he though it would go away with tablets, but they didnt. He was told to rest and take his tablets. But he collapsed in the car park after shopping with his wife and little baby. You dont know how scary it was for us, to be told your husdand, your son, your dad, your uncle has a blood clot on the brain and has to have a emergancy op was not very nice. If only he carried on going back to jthe doctors with it, they may have done a scan sooner and found it before he collapsed. Im sorry to have a go but its just a point and a valid point that could happen if the problem does persist.

MJB. You may not be as bad as him. But if you go to your doc and tell him everything... when they are happening the most, what your doing at the time of the headaches, how long they last for, how many a day your getting them, just tell him everything. Like i said if they carry on after you have seen him, go back and ask for a scan.

Fingers crossed your not as bad as my uncle was and i hope you get better soon MJB X

That was exactly my point MH, a terrifying experience that should serve as a warning, but it isn't something that happens on a regular basis. It's a warning to MJB to take headaches seriously, but we don't want everyone absolutely terrified about something happening when they could be suffering with something completely different. I don't really understand why you are angry with me saying what I did? I can only imagine how terrifying the situation would be, but I think it should be stressed that it isn't a common occurance, it's a warning on how serious things can be if left unchecked, which is exactly the reason people are reluctant to give any advice other than "see a doctor".

By using the word extreme I meant - very serious, very scary and not the most common outcome of regular headaches. Regular headaches should be a cause for concern and medical advice, but that doesn't mean we all have to live terrified about what a headache could mean, as that example is (thankfully) fairly rare.

In my posts I was careful to censor what I said so as not to worry MJB unneccessarily but still stress the importance of seeing a doctor. Head problems should be treated with caution.

I really am baffled as to what specifically offended you? A detailed explaination would be appreciated as I'd like to avoid it in the future.

You say "it's a very real one" - did you think I didn't believe you? I hope that you didn't think that as that was not the intended meaning of my post at all.

Thanks Ax

Magic Hands wrote:

Its just that i thought you didnt beleave what i said and also i thought that for once it my point would be a valid one because it is something thats happened in my family that really got to us. so i thought thats it would be better for her to no straight up

I believed you hun....I never questioned whether the experience had happened, I just wanted to point out that what happened to your family was rare and severe and whilst your point was a very valid point, I just wanted to point out that it is a rare outcome of headaches (as I said - don't want to OP to worry too much, just worry enough to book an appointment at the doctors) External Media

Hope that clears things up a bit and things are all good External Media

And again, I honestly never doubted the truth to your experience and I am sorry for your family that you had to deal with such a traumatic time and I hope your uncle is happy and healthy now.

Ax

It may sound odd, but remember to breathe! The deeper the better (hard if you are really going at it!) but that tends to ease any headaches I feel coming on!

x

I get ringing ears after I've had really intense orgasms - but not headaches as such. Sorry to hear you're struggling with that

Thanks Avrielle_Aniko, that link explains exactly what it's like. Thankfully for the time being they seem to have passed although I will mention them again next time I see the dr. This time it took a fortnight of denying myself an orgasm before all hints of the headache passed and I felt comfortable enough to allow myself another. Making up for things now though!!

Hi MJB

This happened to me a few months back. We were making love when my eye started to blur. I must admit my first thought was "damn he's good!" but unfortunately for me it turned into a migraine with aura (other symptoms that preceed the headache such as paralysis, pins and needles and blurred vision). It was the first time it had happened to me and I was in so much pain and so scared that we went to A&E. Short version, I ended up in hospital for 4 days and had lumbar puncture, MRI and CAT scans! I was given the all-clear but the amazing staff wanted to be sure. Although it wasn't a pleasant experience I now know that there are no bleeds or clots and I've been given good advice on managing the headaches so they are minimised.

They did say that headaches during sex are quite common and brain bleeds can also occur during sex. Some of these are harmless and others not so. I've had to change my pill form the combined one to the mini now as I'm at a higher risk of stroke. I've also changed to decaf tea and have to avoid my migraine triggers such as cheese!

This all sounds very scary and I don't want to fall foul of the "don't give medical advice" rule here! Don't just mention it to your Dr, make an appointment to discuss it quite seriously and have some tests. Once you know that there is nothing untoward happening in your head then you can deal with the headaches.

Again, I don't wish to frighten you. It is very common but you do have the need and right to be taken seriously and have your mind put at rest.

Love-Honey Bot, many apologies if I've crossed the line. My only advice is to see the Dr. Hope this helps, you are not alone!x

Good to know! Thanks littlebird for the heads up!

x