Preconception about Nipple piercings always being sexual?

So 3 months ago i got my left nipple pierced. There's 2 reasons for my choice, neither is at all sexual.
The main reason, is i have very unevenly sized and shaped breasts. My right breast is a decent volume C cup, with a nicely rounded shape, whilst my left breast is barely a B cup and a much less rounded, more flattened shape. I've hated them to the point i couldn't look at them, even fully dressed, without being so self conscious i would cry. I got the piercing to give my left breast a focal point away from the size/shape, and in a way that would look pretty. It worked, i'm much more comfortable with my Asymmetry since the piercing.
The much lesser reason was i have raynauds phenomenon, which as well as my feet and hands, affects my left nipple. I had read several articles that nipple piercing increased the blood flow, and hoped it might help reduce the attacks, or even just their severity. Sadly i've seen no reduction in either.

My issue is however, that the few people who i've told, have automatically assumed (without giving me time to explain) my piercing was done for some kinky sexual reason. One got quite nasty and judgemental, like it was wrong and dirty, and i was really taken aback by it. I'm quite nervous now of mentioning it to a future partner (i'm currently single) in case they get the wrong idea from the off that i'm into kinky sex and S&M, because my tastes are actually just for "boring" vanilla stuff.

My question i guess, is if a woman told you she had a nipple piercing, would your immediate assumption be she got it for sexual pleasure and is in to kinky sex, or would you think she just thought it looked pretty?

People are fucknuts, I think is the simple way to put it.
There are always people that are gonna assume stuff like that, same about stockings or short skirts or red lipstick or stilettos and long boots.
You do things for reasons you want to, and ignore what other people say- it's not their body.
As for future partners, all you can do is explain. If they're right for you, they'll get it, if they're pushy or won't drop it, you're probably better off without them.

I totally get your first reason though.
I hated my breasts as they are small and don't look all rounded and cute, so I got my nipples done in April, and it seriously improved my self confidence. I sadly had to take them out, but even so I still like my breasts now :)
So glad it's working for you :)

My default would be that it looks pretty. These days you see so many women in the press that have had one or both of there nipples pierced and for them seems like a fashion accessory.
I don't see it as being any different to having ears or bellybutton done for example. You don't have to explain it with any other rationale than "because I wanted to".
Nice to see that something like that has helped you get over a body issues so more power to you for doing something about it.

I used to have one. In a previous job using an electric diamond disc saw cutting through fibreglass at chest height, I used to get static shocks all the time, loved it... Then I caught it in a jumper and the wound got infected ![](upload://f8zGclFeQx35HwZLqJ7J1rFzQ0n.gif) Just haven't bothered since removing it.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread without actually answering the question. I did mine because I thought it looked good, and whilst it did have a hint of sexual driven motive, I actually didn't like it much being played with during sex, but I wouldn't remove it because of that.

As for their thinking about your motive, you might need to reconsile the fact what they think isn't important, you deserve to be respected regardless of rhyme, reason and history. Just be true to yourself and try and live the way you want to live it.

My first thought would be, like NN, that you did it because you think it looks nice :) I wouldn't think that it might be sexual reasons behind it at all. I believe most people think it's mainly body decoration, so maybe you have met the wrong people. I don't see why it would be a problem with a future bf, I'm sure you look good and if you would explain your reasons to them I don't think they would disapprove (if they did- they are obviously not worth your time) :)

People are judgmental with everything related to looks and even more when it's permanent body modification. Some will think you are crazy, some will think you like pain, others will think you are a sl*t, and so on. It's the same with tongue piercings, many people still have this stupid idea that you would only get your tongue pierced to enhance your partner's sensations during blowjobs.

A few weeks ago, some of my colleagues (all females) were discussing intimate piercings during work as I walked into the room, one of them was saying that she would "never do anything like this because it must hurt so bad" and another replied that "anyway there must be something wrong with people who do this because why would you harm yourself and damage your body this way", from then on I knew I would never mention my nipple piercing to any of them or anyone else! The only person who knows I have it is one of my female friends who also has one, and of course my boyfriend. It's something I did for myself, because I think it looks nice.

I think you should not attach so much importance to other people's opinions about your choices, they are not you and if they do not respect you or judge you without listening, then they are not worth your time.

Once you educate a potential partner that your piercing has nothing to do with your sexual appetite then they should respect that. If they don't, then you're better off out anyway.

I just wanted to add that, as a person who had my nipples pierced for 10 years, I never had any guy (or woman) assume anything of me because of it. This may be partly because I'm visibly tattooed and pierced in other places so perhaps people half expected it? But in all honesty, I didn't think about it that much and, as a result, I never noticed anyone recoil from my piercings, or judge me for them. 

In the words of RuPaul: "What other people think of you is none of your business" < these words have helped me a lot with things like this.

If your piercing makes you happy, then enjoy it! If someone is going to judge you for it a) Let them. Judgment has no impact on you - not reaally. Let that judgmental person get themselves in a tizzy about a hole in your body if they want to. That's their life, and doesn't need to be a part of yours. b) People who judge are not the kinds of people who are good for you anyway, so in a way they're doing you a favour my showing you their true colours. Take their judgment as a sign that you're better without them. Never change yourself for someone elses happiness. To make you do so is the epitome of selfishness on their behalf.

I tried to write some considered response. To your email, but ultimately couldn't think of much other than:

It's your body so you are in charge of what you do with it.

Once I got to that point I realised that the key is to not give a fig for what anyone else thinks about the decisions you have made (at least until they have had the good grace to talk to you about it first).

I have about 13 piercings, one of which is a nipple piercing that I've had for about 16 yrs. In that time I've never had any negative comments or people making assumptions about the kind of sex I like. My male and female friends have just been curious and wanted to have a look.

I think you have been unfortunate in confiding in people who are narrow minded and making pre-judgements.