Preferred Vibrator Colour? Are you sick of Purple and White?

Hello to the Lovehoney crowd, I am doing some research for a University project and wanted to find out your opinion.

Did you know that f the market uses Purple and White to market to women? Would you like a larger variety of colours and what would your preference be?

I'm actually more sick of pink but white and purple are definitely up there!

I would definitely like to see more variety. There are other sexy colours that almost nobody seems to sell. Colours that I would like to see more of would be red and turquoise (or just blues in general). They're uncommon enough to draw your eye while still being sexy colours.

As far as the vibrator colours that are presented to us by default, there are only 6 red vibrators and 10 blue ones on LH. That seems like an okay amount until it's compared to the approximately 85 black, 95 purple and 105 pink vibrators. (For further context, I counted 28 white/clear, 26 metallic, 19 fleshtint and 5 others)

As far as general marketing colours, I find that white and purple are sort of safe colours that can appeal to the everyday woman without being intimidating. I personally prefer colours with black because I think it's a bit sexier but it's also less welcoming. Lovehoney's colours definitely create a sort of approachable atmosphere that I appreciate.

The biggest erotic shop in my city just changed its look to be black and sort of beige which suits its branding more because it seems to be going for the classy, modern, sexy woman. It also changed its logo from some stupid eye motif to a mask. That definitely works in its favour to add mystery and sex-appeal (it launched its own unofficial 50 shades line last year.

I hope that helps some :)

Purple is my favourite colour !

But yes I see what you mean more colour varieties would be a thumbs up. Although I think that is slowly happening already . You only need to look at all the colour variations of Rabbitts that are currently available and not just with LH .

I have say that I have always stayed clear of any pinks n purples as very proud to be feminine but not girlly with pink and sparkles... reminds me to little kids.
Blues and aqua or greens would be ace... another reason to like glass as clear or with lovely deep hues swirled around them. And unfortunately my other half not keen in black dildos......An ego thing im sure lol xx
Metallic shades would me awesome too much more choice of colour in vibrators hopefully it can be done fir dildos.

I love purple! But would like to see more blue, orange, red. :)

I'd quite like to see more colourful toys in general. I don't mind what base colour the toys are overall, but would like more toys with patterns and multicolours.

I notice more pink than I notice purple or white. I think there's good amount of choice in terms of colours, but maybe not necessarily for every single item that someone might want to buy. I can't say I've ever thought that the sex toy world was a sea of purple and white. I personally like being able to opt for purple or white over pink, which I see as the default most of the time. I don't really think that alternative colours are that lacking if you're just looking at whether you could get any toy in a particular colour, but it'd be nice to have multiple colour choices for each toy where possible. If I could pick a less used colour that I'd like to see more, it would be blue.

I personally love purple. but less pink and more varied colours would be nice

ShinySparkle wrote:

Need more greens and blues... :D

This +1

I actually do like pink and purple, but yes I'm getting sick of toys in those colours. I would LOVE to see more blue and turquoise toys and I really like black silicone with silver (like the tracey cox range)

University Researcher wrote:

Hello to the Lovehoney crowd, I am doing some research for a University project and wanted to find out your opinion.

Did you know that f the market uses Purple and White to market to women? Would you like a larger variety of colours and what would your preference be?

As an aside - you might want to get in touch with our PR and forum moderator to check that your query is in the right place.

Hi - I'm the Sex Toys Manager here at Lovehoney and colour of toys is a fascinating topic. Each market (e.g. Europe, USA, Asia) tend to have different preferences, so it's not as easy as saying certain colours are used to appeal to different sexes. The psychology of colour is cultural and so neons are seen as sexy and fun and sell well in some parts of the world, while purples and pinks are linked to sensuality and quality in others so sell well there.

There's also the thing to bear in mind that people may like to see lime green, aqua etc but sex toys work quite like lingerie in the UK - customers like the look of the colourful stuff, but most customers end up buying black/purple.

OK. Iiiinteresting. As the dominant sexual partner in my relationship I usually buy all the toys. My personal preference is metal and glass (therefore no colour). However, for plastic/silicon toys I usually go for pink/black for her and blue/black for me. That being said, the LH brand toys have a nice shade of purple and we do have a lot in that colour too, we also have a green toy (which is one of her fav's).

Having said all that - I'm not sure that colour really factors into the effect of the toy.....

Hmm. If you truly believe that to be the case I would suggest looking at 'the market' a little more. Check out Lelo as a good example of just how many colours are actually available.

Your sweeping statement of certain colors being more readily available applies only to retailers and what they are able to stock, where colour options are far more to do with what has been proven to sell in the past than than to do with sucking people in. They don't buy a purple vibe, for example, because they think it will attract customers, rather the opposite that the bright green vibe will attract attention but people will play it safe and go for the purple version.

I would also suggest looking at retailers more closely with regards to the colours they choose, it's pretty interesting how different companies vary. LH seem to use purple, pink and black above all. Another high street store favours pink and white for toys, with black and red for lingerie. A self run store in a town near me favours red for everything, with some hot pink toys thrown in. Lots of variables!

TL:DR, there already is a huge spectrum of toys available, it is the retailers who chose the colours to stock so it is only at certain retailers you have a limit not the entire market, white and purple are not the colors chosen by every retailer.

To answer your question, I'd like more blue and green. But if I were willing to buy direct from the company I could have them :)

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

As an aside - you might want to get in touch with our PR and forum moderator to check that your query is in the right place.

Hi - I'm the Sex Toys Manager here at Lovehoney and colour of toys is a fascinating topic. Each market (e.g. Europe, USA, Asia) tend to have different preferences, so it's not as easy as saying certain colours are used to appeal to different sexes. The psychology of colour is cultural and so neons are seen as sexy and fun and sell well in some parts of the world, while purples and pinks are linked to sensuality and quality in others so sell well there.

There's also the thing to bear in mind that people may like to see lime green, aqua etc but sex toys work quite like lingerie in the UK - customers like the look of the colourful stuff, but most customers end up buying black/purple.

That's super interesting. As a new seller of bondage gear, I've noticed at markets that people are significantly drawn by colour. At my first market, I mostly had black stuff so the few pink and blue things we had sold out quicker. At the second one (which was last month) we ordered a lot more pink things and ended up selling mostly red and black. I guess that having the choices for more colours helps people decide.

If there were more turqoises in lingerie available I would own all of it but that is beside the point :P. It's very rare when a vibrator in a style I want is available in a colour I like. I almost bought the Lelo one that's blue or a green rabbit just for its colour but I didn't because they were too big, too expensive and both have the texture that personally turns me off right away. I I'm on my fourth vibrator and none of them are colours that I like (okay, the metallic purple one looked really sweet but the colour chipped off that real quick). I have them because of their shape/power but I would love it if they looked as great as they felt...

pink and purple are actually more common than white but i would love to see more place vibrators and red :)

Purple is one of my favourite colours so this certainly wouldn't out me off buying a new toy. I think bright pink or baby pink is more off putting.

I'm really not fussed about the colour, although I have just realised that most of my toys are flesh coloured or purple.

I personally love purple too, and the black with silver looks very classy :) xx

I love purple and white, although I really haven't seen that many white vibrators around!

My favourite vibrator colour is black, as I think it looks so classy and not too feminine, which might otherwise be off putting to some men. I recently got a Tracey Cox vibe, which is black and silver, and it looks the best out of any others I own!

Mehhh, I really dislike pink and I'm not so keen on purple.

Personally I love blues, greens and black...Lelo's turquiose and green colours are beautiful. The world needs more blue and green sex toys!