Psa test. What and what not to do before blood test

Anyone having there psa levels monitored and if so what do you not do before and how long before the test. Ive been on active surveillance for 4 years. Thanks

1 Like

I have the wrong anatomy to have had one myself but it’s just a blood test and I’ve had hundreds of them :rofl:.

Specifically for a PSA test, the NHS website says:

Before having the test

If you’re having a PSA test, you should not have:

• ejaculated in the past 48 hours
  • exercised heavily in the past 48 hours
  • a urinary infection
  • had a prostate biopsy in the past 6 weeks

Each of these may give an inaccurate PSA reading.

Otherwise, I think you just pitch up and they take blood.

2 Likes

Been having them for over 10 years and never had any do/don’ts said to me - certainly never been advised not to ejaculate in the previous 48 hours (I’d definitely remember that one :slightly_smiling_face:) - I’ve always carried on as normal, rocked up, offered arm and not thought any more about it.

As @Peitho has already said, avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours before the test and I’ve been told that definitely includes cycling which puts a lot of pressure on the perineum area and can skew the results.

Thanks I’ve be told cycling. Just got to suck it and see. Thanks all

Thanks I like your style. :+1:

I’m in the same boat - had some problems and prostate cancer runs in the family, so getting tested regularly. I’ve been lucky and had it done on Monday mornings so a quiet Sunday is a nice end to the week and shouldn’t affect anything! Good luck with it :slight_smile:

Thank you

I had one recently and doctor told me not to ejaculate for 48 hours beforehand

I’ve been tested regularly for a few years now (I’m on a testosterone supplement} and I make no special preparations apart from avoiding anal penetration the day before.

So glad to see someone highlight this matter. I have seen several close family members suffer with this so I’ve been testing for a few years now and all so far is good.

For those gents who are over 50, PLEASE GO AND GET YOUR PSA TESTED, it’s only a blood test. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Well said mr amp mrs DLPS. I don’t think it is talked about or publicised enough not like woman’s breast screening. :+1:

2 Likes

:+1::+1:thanks

Hey! Monitoring PSA levels is crucial, especially during active surveillance. Generally, before a PSA test, it’s recommended to avoid activities like bike riding or sex that might affect levels for at least 48 hours prior. Also, certain medications and even some foods could impact readings, so it’s worth checking with your doc.

By the way, have you heard about Influenza A/B Antigen Kit? They’re super handy for at-home flu detection. While not related to PSA levels, they’re part of this wave of accessible home health tests that are becoming quite useful for quick health checks.