Psychology of Lingerie

Anyone have any idea why lingerie has the psychological effect that it does, i.e. why does something look sexy? It's easy to just say "because it does". Like to hear your thoughts.

Hold-ups/long socks

I assumed that this was because unlike tights, hold-ups and long socks suggest immediate sexual availability - tights have to be taken off, hold-ups don't. It's not quite clear to me why hold-ups is a sexier look than bare legs. Any ideas?

Stockings

Someone once told me that this was because stockings and a suspender belt create a frame around the vagina, concentrating attention on it, like a macro crotchless panty. I can see how that works.

Over-knee socks

Never understood. I agree it's a nicer look than under-knee socks - but why? Covering up more yet looks better. Any ideas?

Boyfriend shirt

Read about this elsewhere in the forum. I think it's because it suggests a "just fucked" look and a one-night-stand or new girlfriend. From fiction and TV, women wear mens shirts after an unexpected stayover. Agree? Disagree?

Corsets/girdles etc

Maybe it's a Mills & Boon bodice-ripper type thing?

jaycloth wrote:

Anyone have any idea why lingerie has the psychological effect that it does, i.e. why does something look sexy? It's easy to just say "because it does". Like to hear your thoughts.

Hold-ups/long socks

I assumed that this was because unlike tights, hold-ups and long socks suggest immediate sexual availability - tights have to be taken off, hold-ups don't. It's not quite clear to me why hold-ups is a sexier look than bare legs. Any ideas?

Stockings

Someone once told me that this was because stockings and a suspender belt create a frame around the vagina, concentrating attention on it, like a macro crotchless panty. I can see how that works.

Over-knee socks

Never understood. I agree it's a nicer look than under-knee socks - but why? Covering up more yet looks better. Any ideas?

Boyfriend shirt

Read about this elsewhere in the forum. I think it's because it suggests a "just fucked" look and a one-night-stand or new girlfriend. From fiction and TV, women wear mens shirts after an unexpected stayover. Agree? Disagree?

Corsets/girdles etc

Maybe it's a Mills & Boon bodice-ripper type thing?

rather than the psychology of lingerie, its the tailoring of lingerie. fashion/lingerie designers are really really good at emphasising/exaggerating certian parts of your body. males like females with big hips, small waist, and full (not necessarily large) boobs (evolutionary signals) and so any items of clothing that emphasise these or create curves where there are none will go down well.

over the knee socks are related to youth (and so 'naughty school girls') making anyone that wear it have the slutty but cute image that boys tend to like. they also make legs look slimmer and longer. this is also similar to girls wearing boys tops. makes girls seem young and as if theyve just had sex. this is portrayed very very often in films and such (naughty teenagers having sex!) and so people now tend to see it as a sign of attraction.

stockings and hold ups, i'd say, are just an attraction cause by social means. when they were first invented, they werent really seen as sexual. they were just seen as underwear. same with corsets. nowadays they are seen as sexual and its generally ladies and women with a sense of style (and money) that wear them everyday.

corsets and such are attractive as they emphasise the waist-hip ratio and make boobs like full and perky. also have an image of naughtiness as related to burlesque and gothic types.

you can kinda work out any human behaviour if you think of social and evolutionary factors.

(hope this makes sense, a bit tipsy!)

also, under the knee socks dont make your legs look attractive. knees are quite ugly and under the knee socks show them off. they also make your calves look bigger and your legs look more stumpy. over the knee socks not only elongate and slim your legs, but are closer to your erogenous zones. as theyre mostly worn with short clothes then.... smiley.

1 Like

Hmm the psychology or lingerie.... Probably should be re worded, the pyschology of feeling or looking sexy. I do not think it just applies to the underwear. I mean, the boyfriend shirt is an example. Then there are heels or thigh high boots, little skirts or long floaty slips or dresses. hair up in a tight bun or flowing over the shoulders....

And sexiness is subjective and can be a mixture of different things. Example: I like stockings, hold ups, long socks and ankle socks. Which ones I wear on any given day depend on my mood and what "kind" of sexy I might feel that day. (I think the appeal of long socks is similar to the appeal of stockings, drawing the eye up the leg to the thigh area, the sensory experience of running your hands up those socks until you are touching flesh...)

I love over the knee socks. Initially when I bought my first few pairs it was functional. I just wanted some nice warm winter socks. Now I think they can be pretty sexy. In my view there are different moods of sexy. Sometimes I feel uber sexy in long socks, girly boxers and the boyfriend shirt with my hair tied back in a plait or just left loose. The appeal is the girl next door, cutesy kind of sexiness. Then sometimes I want to feel like a vixen, or all domly and would go for black, PVC/latex, High heels, stockings or hold ups, hair tied back in a bun etc. Other times I want to feel feminine and beautiful rather than just "sexy" I want to put on my nice perfume and my most expensive classy lingerie, sometimes we might like to roleplay and then opting for white, and ankle socks and the whole "innocent" look. ...its all about the frame of mind and what "kind" of sexy you feel.

Lingerie and sexy clothing is of course designed to make a person "feel" sexy and to attract the opposite sex by highlighting areas of the body that the opposite sex are generally attracted to. (Push up bras to make the breasts look larger, corsets to cinch in the waist and give that hourglass shape, stockings, socks and tights to lenghthen the legs, heels to make you look taller, and so many differnt kinds of pants to make your bum look amazing. It is also to give off an "impression" (Whore, innocent, sweet, cute, sexy, naughty)

I admit there is a lot more for women than men, but that is slowly changing and more and more options in the lingerie or sexy underwear department are being released and designed for men. However men are very visual and women not so much. I have noticed a trend and that is that women are not really as drawn to a man in "sexy" lingerie. For the most part it seems women love a nice pair of boxers or briefs and they have preferences but actually going all the way with thongs and anything more frilly or fancy doesnt really appeal to the majority of women in the same way that a woman dressed up would do for a man. I have noticed that men who enjy wearing sexy lingerie tend to do it for their own pleasure and not for their partners.

I think what it all boils down to at the end of the day is pretty packaging. Its pretty simplistic in that way. Women feel sexier and more horny when their mind is switched on, and getting dressed up in something sexy, something that boosts our boobs and cinches our waist or makes us feel innocent or vixen like or downright naughty switches on our brain. For men, who are more visual, its pretty packaging on something they already find sexy. The sight of those breasts all pert and surrounded in frills, the curve of her ass in those pants, the sight of the flesh at the top of her thighs in contrast against the colour and feel of the nylon. For some guys its the tease of getting glimpses of their partners best bits all presented to perfection.

Well I guess thats my theory

1 Like

I wrote about this once...it's usually split between fashion and design for purpous. There is an element of 'self psychology' too... s/he who feels good will pass those vibes on. But it's down to mind set too... what gets you going when you look at something. Tights do nothing for me.. but stockings are my trigger etc...

1 Like

Boyfriend shirt

I dont like people wearing my clothes.

I lost a few of my favourite tshirts to boob stretching before I put a stop to it

...i too love stockings...suspender belt .....matching underwear .....it gets me really uncontrollably horny without fail....every time ....the effort put in will always be repaid in physical gratitude.....

....every time.....

1 Like

either sex in nice lingerie/ underwear is appreciated cause it shows that you want to please each others visual turn on's so sexy lingerie is always great with me

No idea why, but I really love women in football tops... Even teams I really hate.

I love seeing women in a man's buttoned-up shirt that sits above the knee. It's simple but oh-so-sexy.

Well I think its because they are undergarments and you dont see people walking down the street in hold ups etc

(unless on hen nights etc and that just takes away any sexiness personally) for me its a fetish thing I have loved stockings and hold ups from a very young age

1 Like

Less is more, I find my wife sexier in a thong than naked.

ilikepussy wrote:

Less is more, I find my wife sexier in a thong than naked.

Wouldn't that be "More is Less" ??

Actually, I'm just the same, but even more so. Nothing turns me on more than seeing a girl in jeans and a tight(ish) T-shirt with no bra underneath. - But then I am a bit strange anyway

I agree with you totally
Your only as old as the women you feel.

Lingerie is designed to accentuate features that men already find attractive to see and touch. As all men are a bit different so theres lots of different stuff. I love silk but find rubber and latex a turn off,

ilikepussy wrote:
Your only as old as the women you feel.

Don't know how old that makes me then - haven't felt a woman for years :-(

For what it's worth, I read somewhere a convincing argument that any kind of sheer leg covering (tights, stockings, hold-ups) accentuates the roundness and smoothness of the leg.

The effect of angling the fabric over the skin drops the edges of the leg into artificial shadow, while the view head-on through the centre of the stocking lets the pale skin act as an artificial highlight.

Thus, a leg in nylon (or silk!) appears MORE rounded and smooth than the leg itself!

Personally, I think the whole point of hold-ups and high socks is to highlight the thighs. Tights are horrible, stockings and suspenders are kinky strapping on top of the thigh. ;)

The Boyfriend Shirt phenomenon might have something to do with sexual dimorphism: juxtaposing a typically smaller, delicately boned girl with a big, sturdy item of men's clothing draws the man's attention to her femininity, thus emphasising how sexually attractive she is.

MrMr

PS "Delicately boned" . . .*snigger*

1 Like

Mr Monster wrote:

For what it's worth, I read somewhere a convincing argument that any kind of sheer leg covering (tights, stockings, hold-ups) accentuates the roundness and smoothness of the leg.

The effect of angling the fabric over the skin drops the edges of the leg into artificial shadow, while the view head-on through the centre of the stocking lets the pale skin act as an artificial highlight.

Thus, a leg in nylon (or silk!) appears MORE rounded and smooth than the leg itself!

Personally, I think the whole point of hold-ups and high socks is to highlight the thighs. Tights are horrible, stockings and suspenders are kinky strapping on top of the thigh. ;)

The Boyfriend Shirt phenomenon might have something to do with sexual dimorphism: juxtaposing a typically smaller, delicately boned girl with a big, sturdy item of men's clothing draws the man's attention to her femininity, thus emphasising how sexually attractive she is.

MrMr

PS "Delicately boned" . . .*snigger*

Smirks

Its been a long time since i felt delicately boned. Maybe I should wear more of his shirts... (wanders away with a dirty grin)

but that sounds like a good answer to me. You know, the whole....highlighting the feminine thing....

except you have a much better way with words lol

1 Like