Realistic Vs Non-Realistic Dildo Count

So I’m a fan of non-realistic toys, especially dildos. The other day, I was telling my partner how it was a bit of a shame that most sex toy retailers mainly stock realistic dildos and hardly any of the quirky ones. He said that’s probably what sells the most so they aren’t going to waste space on a product not many people will buy. That seems true. While I may not find realistic dildos appealing, I’m sure that there are many that do.

However (forgive me if I come across as ignorant), but realistic dildos seem more or less identical to me. I know there are different sizes, shapes and colours but the basic “design” is the same, right? So it got me wondering – will a person who collects realistic dildos have a smaller collection than someone who collects non-realistic ones? In my eyes, non-realistic ones are more varied so I will want to try out all the ones I can find. If you have a couple of good realistic ones, is that it? Or do you want more?

I currently have 23 non-realistic dildos in my collection (not including rabbits) and 0 realistic ones.

I know this basically boils down to personal taste and we all like different things but I thought it was interesting.

Anyone care to share?

I'd say I have about 30-35 dildos and vibrators that we use. Two thirds of them are realistic, no matter their size (some are very big, but still look like a penis). Some of the realistic ones I enjoy using on myself, but most of them work better for pegging and anal play. The non-realistic ones are used as frequently on myself and on my partners.

As you pointed out, there aren't as many non-realistic ones to choose from. Furthermore, those that I've seen and would love to have cost as much as 4-10 ''regularly shaped'' dildos, so I keep putting it off...

I’ve got 3 glass dildos, 2 steel ones and I’ve just ordered the Desire weighted one. None of them are realistic. I much prefer arty, sculptural looking toys and my OH for the real thing. I do have the Mantric Realistic G-spot vibrator but it isn’t realistic looking at all (given the LED lights etc!), and I think you mean toys which don’t vibrate. If I include vibrating ones then I’ve got several more, but none of them look realistic. When things come up to review I never feel drawn to the realistic toys. Personal taste, I guess.

Here’s a challenge for the Lovehoney Design Team: 3 arty looking dildos / vibrators, each inspired by and named after a famous artist...? Thinking colour, shape, texture, packaging etc. Happy to help!

MsR wrote:

Here’s a challenge for the Lovehoney Design Team: 3 arty looking dildos / vibrators, each inspired by and named after a famous artist...? Thinking colour, shape, texture, packaging etc. Happy to help!

Off the top of my head:

a Monet glass dildo, wave shapes through the shaft, with the appearence of glistening water, little flowers suspended inside. It can be done with paperweights, why not dildos?

A Picasso vibrator, silicone, nubby, curvy texture, blues, liliacs and blacks in circles and triangles decoratig the outside.

A Klimt steel dildo, in gold metal, with flecks of rectangular black and silver - g-spot shaped like the shape of the couple in 'The Kiss'.

Any takers?

Let's get those mood boards going!

@ Smultron - Agreed. I think if you have the money, then you have more options for non-realistic toys from wherever you can find them, lol. I think if that's what you like, then it will probably be worth the money because that's your thing that works for you. I bought one expensive non-realistic toy, loved it and can now justify the price of buying more. Well, that's how I see it anyway.

@ MsR - (how did you get to the top of the page??)

I probably have the same toys as you, lol. I definitely have the Realistic Mantric and I have counted that in my list because it's just a vibrating dildo. Even though toys like this are titled "realistic" I don't consider them to be. Ones with clear glands, veins and testicles is what I consider realistic. Like you, if I want a realistic one I have my partner.

Ooh! That's a really good idea with the artist inspired toys.

I once saw an artist sketch fantasy penises based on nature (fruit, plants, etc) but they were really imaginative and beautiful. They would have made excellent dildos in my opinion, lol.

@Honeymonster - those sculptures sound fab. Inspiration in nature. I’ve also thought of a Barbara Hepworth bullet - basically any number of her sculptures in miniature form with a rechargeable battery :-) I’m only at the top of the page because the forum is glitchy today and posts are out of synch x