Review editing

Hi folks,

Just wanted to know how it works? When my review of Durex heat lube went live, it wasn't the same as what I'd written. I understand you may want to correct grammatical errors and so on, but this seems to be a rephrasing of my words. I can't be certain, as I didn't keep a copy of what I submitted, but I intended to suggest use of a strategically placed fan during masturbation as a joke - it now seems to be up there as a genuine sex tip!

How do they get edited and for what purpose?

SS xx

Hi SS,

We edit the reviews for spelling and stuff but we aim to keep as close as poss to what the reviewer says - we obviously want you to be able to say what you want without undue influence from anywhere.

They're edited by a reviews ed - he's new and getting used to the system so please don't yell too much, we can always sort things out in the end! (We have the original copy you wrote so everything can be checked.)

Why do we edit them? (Apart from spelling!)

1. First off there are laws on consumer reviews on websites - good and bad reviews can make a big difference to sales of products. Some unscrupulous companies and individuals write good/bad reviews for commercial reasons - this is a process known as 'astroturfing' and it's illegal! We try and make sure all the reviews on the site are real - hence each has a link to someone's account and you can see if they've posted or written other reviews. (You don't get this on many sites - we're good like that!)

2. Sometimes reviews are really sexually graphic and although people are writing about sex toys, lots of folk prefer reviewers to tell them what's good/bad about the toys rather than explicit explanations about what they did with them. (It's a broad church!) So when this happens we direct people to the forums.

Unfortunately we do make mistakes - but I guarantee they will be genuine mistakes.

Hope this helps a bit... I'll have a look at your review. SS, I'll send you your original copy by email if you like - then you know exactly what changes have been made and we can sort them all out.

And thanks for taking the trouble to ask. (And for your ace reviews, of course!)

Steve

xxx

1 Like

Oh gosh, it really wasn't a complaint, just idle curiosity! The changes are minor really, which is actually why I was surprised. I wouldn't have expected such little changes to be worth making.

I don't mind particularly, and I certainly don't want your new chap (Hello newbie!) to feel yelled at. I was just aware when I read it back that it didn't really sound like me.

SS xx

Hi SS... I've rediddled your review - it's all you!

Steve xxx

*glares at Steve menacingly, whip in hand*

Now I thought we had this conversation already! Do you really want to be at my mercy back in the review dungeon for weeks on end all summer, while dodging deliberately misspelled and grammatically incorrect reviews by the hundred?

lol

Bad boy you are! *tut tut*

PS Love you! lol x

Cripes MC... the review dungeon is a fearsome place and I'm back in the sunlight.

I hope you're not thinking about using 'brackets' for anything other than grammatical purposes!

*shudder*

xxx

I have to admit some lines were removed from one or two of mine. Mine are NEVER sexually explicit, and I am capable of using spellcheck etc. It's only a minor irritation but when the tone has changed or it no longer makes sense the way I intended I do get irritated.

Hi bbbje... we're always trying to get better. Any reviews you think have been tampered too much let us know! Our ed is young and v keen, which can sometimes lead to over-keenness!

All feedback (and ace reviews) much appreciated.

Steve

LoveHoney - Steve wrote:

Cripes MC... the review dungeon is a fearsome place and I'm back in the sunlight.

I hope you're not thinking about using 'brackets' for anything other than grammatical purposes!

*shudder*

xxx

Well I'm sure a huge cross would be involved anyway! lol

*sigh* I could be persuaded to corrupt you, if it weren't for the fact I know you are already altogether too corrupted for your own good.

PS I like em young and keen *lecherous grin*

External Media External Media External Media xxx