Riding crop material

Hi everyone - thoughts on riding crop materials? I’d like to invest in my first one to expand my ever growing collection of toys but I’m indecisive on the material. I see LH sells leather, silicone, faux leather, etc. - any tips on pros/cons of the different materials?

1 Like

Can’t give you any advise on differences. But we do have a faux leather one from LH and I absolutely love it, feels and sounds perfectly satisfying :blush:
(Mrs)

2 Likes

These aren’t pros or cons as such, it just depends what is and what isn’t important to you.

If you are looking for a more traditional aesthetic, leather or faux leather are best.

The Lovehoney heart one and the red 50 Shades ones have a more standard leather side and a bit of a padded silk side, which will give you slightly different sensations, which can be good if you are exploring.

Choosing one the top/giver likes the look of will increase their want to use it and how they feel when using it

There can be a difference in feel between leather and faux leather (faux leather not being one material anyway), but generally the choice between them is whether you have a strong preference for non animal products.

Silicone is generally a lot more stingy than leather.

Silicone doesn’t quite trail across the skin as well as other materials if you are looking for a more sensual experience (as well as pain)

Check the length - how much space do you have in your bedroom/play area to swing it (you also have more control over shorter ones generally).

How do you want to use it? - if you want a serious scene then getting out the butterfly one is likely to ruin the mood. However if you want to taunt/be taunted that “cute can’t hurt” then the butterfly or a heart would be perfect. If you want to be up close with your partner, then a shorter crop is the way to go.

6 Likes

Well that depends on your discipline and if you need it to be BS or BE legal?

For day to day, I have two whips, a BS legal for general riding/hacking/competition jumping and a schooling whip for dressage. The BS whip is cushioned at the impact end and covered in hard wearing woven nylon down the middle with a good grippy rubber handle. It can be used to smack quite hard with a good impact but without imparting any pain. The schooling whip is much longer and finer, made of fibreglass with a nylon covering and a gel handle. This would hurt if used sharply but obviously is designed to be used with gentle finesse.

Of course… you might be looking for something for the bedroom rather than for horse riding. In that case, follow @Calie 's advice! [1]

1. Sorry, couldn’t help myself! :rofl: ↩︎

Fantastic insight, thank you friends!

@Calie that detail - thanks so much, it really helped me to think through what type of product would be best considering my own preferences, my space, and my partners. Silicone is off the list of contenders, I would want some more versatility, I like toys that can be used in different ways for sensory play.

Thanks again all, I’ll update when I’ve made a purchase and had a chance to try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say they all will give the same kind of outcome and feelings, maybe the silicone one might make more of a slap noise on the skin than the other two but in general it’s mainly the quality what makes the difference :nerd_face:

1 Like

Personally love silicone as nice feel and sting - but also like faux leather as a change

2 Likes

We have 2 in the house, an older riding whip tipped with a softer faux leather one. I am informed it is more stingy (i give the spankings!) but feels good. The other is a heavier and wider leather topped one. That one i am told feels much more thuddy and is much more painful.

Just depends what you like! Whatever you choose I’m sure it’ll be right for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely the silicone hurts a little more :eyes::wink:x

1 Like