Sex toy smell offputting? Does it go away?

Never really had a problem with sex toys smelling before, we generally go for silicone anyway if possible and any toys we have had that smell just needed a wash and airing.

However we are having a problem with a recent purchase, the basics anal prober. Bought it because it was on a multibuy offer so it was essentially free so can't complain too much. Sadly though we have not been able to use it because the smell is so bad, even though we have washed it several times with soap and hot water it still stinks several weeks later. Best was I can describe it is a cross between burning plastic and a strong smell of cannabis, weird I know. Not very condusive to sticking inside your bum though.

Anyone else had this problem, anything I can do?

I've not personally had this problem, but LH is said to have an amazing returns policy/customer service team, maybe send it back or if you think it's just that specific toy ask for an exchange?

Otherwise, maybe strong scented flavoured lube to mask the smell?

Hi There, I have this toy ordered a long time ago now and it didn't smell at all to my knowledge. If Lovehoney are sending out items that smell as you describe then I am sure they would want to know about it as it may be a bad batch or items that have not been stored correctly, where they may need to contact the supplier. Unfortunately as items are often sealed the only way for then to know is from customer feedback by contacting them.
They have a fantastic customer service team. If you call or live chat them and ask for an exchange I am sure they would send you another one out and anything you return is free postage so you have nothing to loose here.
I hope this helps

Cutecountrygirl wrote:

Never really had a problem with sex toys smelling before, we generally go for silicone anyway if possible and any toys we have had that smell just needed a wash and airing.

However we are having a problem with a recent purchase, the basics anal prober. Bought it because it was on a multibuy offer so it was essentially free so can't complain too much. Sadly though we have not been able to use it because the smell is so bad, even though we have washed it several times with soap and hot water it still stinks several weeks later. Best was I can describe it is a cross between burning plastic and a strong smell of cannabis, weird I know. Not very condusive to sticking inside your bum though.

Anyone else had this problem, anything I can do?

Rubber and PVC toys do tend to smell, the odour often fades but never entirely in my experience. After a while I find the odour of PVC isn’t bad. The jelly rubber toys are the worst though. And in all honesty, while they do obviously smell, I’ve never had the thought during a session either alone or with partner that they smell bad, I’m always way too pre-occupied to notice. Could always burn a nice candle to cover the odour as wel.

If it's that off putting which I can imagine it is I'd contact Lovehoney's and ask if you can exchange it for something else.

Hey, CCG.

Most rubber, PVC or vinyl dildos tend to smell very strongly due to the nature of the materials and the manufacturing process. The smell is quite pungent. Sometimes it does go away over time, with some washing in hot water and PH neutral soap. Other times, it sticks.

As other people have said, we do have a fantastic returns policy! Just get in touch and we can send you all the information that you will need to send it back.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a bit longer before we write it off. I am not worried about returning it, like I said we got it on a deal, we wanted 2 of the items in the deal so we chose this because we needed to make up the order, I think we saved money by getting it, so it's actually better than free and doesn't owe us anything.

We'll keep washing it and leaving it to air out, shame we don't have a secure location outside we could put it.

Cutecountrygirl wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will give it a bit longer before we write it off. I am not worried about returning it, like I said we got it on a deal, we wanted 2 of the items in the deal so we chose this because we needed to make up the order, I think we saved money by getting it, so it's actually better than free and doesn't owe us anything.

We'll keep washing it and leaving it to air out, shame we don't have a secure location outside we could put it.

This last line made me laugh out loud, just imagining someone coming along and finding an anal prober! Lol.

honestly I doubt airing it is going to have much effect, maybe try some different chemicals to clean it, bleach, vinegar, etc. . . Not mixed though obviously. You could also try coating it in baking soda or powder, both are very good at absorbing odour.

This is part of the reason we don't use those materials. If something smells so bad that several washes won't remove the odour then there's no way we are going to use it on or in our bodies. Not worth it!

I found the Doc Johnson/Pipe dream the worst for this. I don't use PVC, TPR, rubber or jelly toys on myself, they burn my vagina and I end up with BV, you can never get them totally clean due to the pores in the material.

However, I use this type of toyon a play partner as he likes huge dildos. I've had some for a few years and they still stink to this day, no amount of cleaning or airing has made the smell disappear. Two dildoo's actually melted as I stored them together in a plastic tub.

I know exactly what you mean. Have u tried lovehoneys sex toy cleaner? I find usually this gets rid of the smell. We have in the past used Milton tablets. Then done a thorough wash with hot water and toy cleaner after.

I just bought one of these https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=16725 . As soon as it came out of the packaging I noticed the strong smell. I have washed it a dozen times or more but as soon as I walk into my room I notice it and it’s in a cupboard, it’s like having an air freshener. I have had to wrap it up in a cloth. While I don’t actually find the smell unpleasant I do wonder if there are any possible risks especially as it is meant to come into contact with internal bits and bobs. I am sure that LH wouldn’t sell them if there weren’t safe to use, just thought I would ask the question.

Some toys have smells, which do not go away. I am not sure about these in particular, but its one reason I go for specific materials and avoid jelly, rubber etc., plu they are porous so its harder to clean properly.

Thanks for the reply Laveila. It’s the thought of chemicals possibly leeching out or some allergic reaction that bothers me. I think I might slip a condom over it for peace of mind. I’m thinking it might be better to invest in something made from a better material. It was just a cheapy beginners toy.