Sex toys going bad?

If your sex toy smells bad despite washing it, it's time to throw it out right?

:(

I just went back to an old favourite toy of mine and realised it really didn't smell good - not a rubbery smell but more of a rotting smell... ew.

Does anyone have any tips on storing and looking after toys? I've heard fabric bags are a must to keep from plastic damage or something, but any other tips? I want to make sure my collection stays as pristine as possible!

SM xxx

Hi Scarlett, yes, if it smells like that then throw it away. Have a look at this guide from LH on storing your toys:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/sex-toy-storage/

I use the satin bags for each toy and store everything in a laptop case. Then all my floggers, crops & paddles are hung up in our wardrobe. Lubes and massages oils are stored upright in our bedside draw :) xx

It depends on what the toy is made of. Any toy that emits any sort of smell is one to be wary off - so anything made from Rubber, PVC, UR3 etc.

Toys made of that sort of material should not be kept together as they will react with each other and melt. They are also porous materials, so no matter how you clean them, all sorts of bacteria can seep into the material, which in turns goes back into you! Condoms can help minimise this, but it's far from ideal.

If it smells, chuck it out - I chucked out a anal dildo I got in my bumble becaus it had a very strong chemical smell - imagine that inside you?!

Glass, Metal and high grade silicone are the best materials. Metal & Glass can be stored together without problem, as long as you've cleaned them. I store those either in their original packaging or in the little toy bags. Silicone toys need a bit more care - if it's high quality, there shouldn't be a problem - but if it's a poor silicone mix, you can see deterioration and reaction with other toys.

Always keep your toys and lubes seperately and you should be OK.

Thanks Scorp and David... some great advice! I've just thrown out two toys... sadface :(

But I'm going to make sure i look after my toys better from now on :)

YW :) and it's not about how you look after them (well, it is to a degree) but it's just that generally some toys are made cheaply, and as there is no real restrictions on what goes into toys as they are sold as 'novelties' - you will find that some toys will always have a chemical or rubbery smell - and you can clean them as much as you want - the nature of the material means it's never going to be as sterile as say silicone or glass.

There is no conclusive evidence on how detrimental these materials can be to your general health and well being, so a measure of caution is always a good idea.

Can I ask what your old fav toy was Scalett?

It may not be the way it was looked after but the material it was made from, some toys made out of certain materials just don't have a long usable life.

But yeah as others have said storing certain toys seperatley is a must especially with some materials.

LH sells the storage bags for toys which you would be able to store some of the toys in, some toys can be kept in their original packaging to store them.

Cleaning toys vary from toy to toy really, and also lubricants can have an effect on some toys too.

For instance most glass, and metal toys can be boiled/ put in the dishwasher. 100% silicone toys can also be boiled and put in the dishwasher too. These toys generally last a lifetime, they're usually slightly more expensive but you won't have to keep replacing them.

Rubber/jelly toys ect can't be boiled or put in the dishwasher and they're porous too which means bacteria and other things can go in to the toy itself. Storing them with other toys will make them degrade, and even without being stored with other toys they will degarde over time regardless of what they're stored with or how they're cleaned. I'd recommend using a sex toy cleaner with these toys.

What toy did you bin David ?

One of mine has started to go mouldy I don't know how or why as always been looked after. How gutting 😫

@Lolli - it was this one:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29780

I was thinking about getting rid of mine also! I got it free so it's no lost to me.

Not that I would use it a lot anyway it's a lot bigger then I thought it would be lol :/

Haha yes, it certainly was quite sizeable too! Not quite ready to go that far ;)

Even my partner was like =O haha! We both thought it was going to be like a little anal bead type of dildo. Whoops!