Sex Toys On Holiday - Dubai took them :-(

I think some of the replies are now starting to border on the ignorant.

If a country has strict laws about what you can and can't bring into a country - if you violate them, then they have every right to follow whatever procedures they have in place (if that's seizing and destroying, then that's it).

It's unfortunate that the OP didn't know about the rules, but sometimes you learn things the hard way.

I find the phrase 'medieval craphole' offensive. Whilst I may not agree with certain things, that doesn't give me the right to insult or call out how another country or society lives. There are hundreds of different societies and cultures, they all have their own way of doing things. It's this sort of ignorance that leads to the various conflicts that we are currently fighting today.

I don't know, I personally reserve the right to call anywhere that still has the death penalty on the books for homosexuality a 'medieval craphole'.

If that makes me unenlightened, I really couldn't care less.

DavidB1986 wrote:

I think some of the replies are now starting to border on the ignorant.

If a country has strict laws about what you can and can't bring into a country - if you violate them, then they have every right to follow whatever procedures they have in place (if that's seizing and destroying, then that's it).

It's unfortunate that the OP didn't know about the rules, but sometimes you learn things the hard way.

I find the phrase 'medieval craphole' offensive. Whilst I may not agree with certain things, that doesn't give me the right to insult or call out how another country or society lives. There are hundreds of different societies and cultures, they all have their own way of doing things. It's this sort of ignorance that leads to the various conflicts that we are currently fighting today.

Well said.

Just another note particualr to Dubai Customs - I once was stopped for carrying a laser pen in my suitcase. I was adivsed they are not allowed in Dubai and was offered the option of keeping it at the airport (for a small fee) and collect when I leave.

It was such a cheap item it wasnt worth the effort, but the option was there.

I think we can draw our own conclusions from this thread and all learn or reaffirm a valuable lesson when travelling abroad.

Perhaps this can be closed now?

Poppea wrote:

S&A-Forever! wrote:

that's nothing short of disgraceful and a lousy way to treat people who are clearly visitors to their country.

Interesting view. Does that mean when I invite you to dinner you think you can spit on the table and I have to tolerate that because you are the guest?

Funny, in the civilised world a guest behaves courteous, respects their host and does not act against the rules of their host, which means: You don't canoodle in Dubai or bring sex toys to a Muslim country.

It's hardly the same thing... are you seriously considering spitting on the table to be the same as bringing something into another country - something might I add that wouldn't have offended anyone if the overzealous security people didn't see fit to get them out in full view of everyone in the airport and then destroy them! Talk about adding insult to injury. If they're so offended by such things, why not simply confiscate them for the duration, to be returned when going back home? No one will be able to convince me that destroying the items out of hand was a fair thing to do.

They're being treated as criminals - how were they to know they weren't allowed to bring such things into the country? I think a fair and rational reaction would be to confiscate the items in question, while issuing a warning that if such things were bought into the country again, then they'd be destroyed. What - don't they believe that everyone can make a mistake and deserves a second chance especially when they're harming no one whatsoever?

It's my guess that the airport's actions upset or insulted a great deal more people present at the airport than would have been the case in a private hotel room. After all, everyone around at the time would have seen the offending items - who would see them in a hotel room?

If they were seen to be used in public, fair enough but otherwise I think the reaction was over the top and way too severe. £300 down the drain for God's sake! We're not talking £10 or £20 quid here.

And as I said earlier, what the hell is Qatar going to do when they host the World Cup? Force all Western girls to cover up to the nines - in 40+ degree heat? Arrest every single drunken football fan? Jail every single couple who dares to kiss in public? It's a disaster waiting to happen. I agree wholeheartedly with the people who say that such countries have out of date, almost Medieval thinking.

While 'Medieval craphole' is an offensive term, it's not offensive, neither is it false to state that they have backward thinking - otherwise people would be allowed to bring non harmful items into the country without fear of being destroyed, girls would be able to choose whether to cover their hair/other body parts etc, etc.

Just another note particualr to Dubai Customs - I once was stopped for carrying a laser pen in my suitcase. I was adivsed they are not allowed in Dubai and was offered the option of keeping it at the airport (for a small fee) and collect when I leave.

There you go. That's a rational and sensible way to go about things.

I think its unfortunate that the OP lost so many toys but if they are illegal then what can you do?

If someone comes back from amsterdam to the UK with canabis what happens to them and the drug? Are they told they can post it home / collect on way out of country? Are they arrested and charged with bringing illegal items into the UK? is the canabis destroyed.

We all have to be careful to watch what is and isnt allowed into other countries when travelling.

MattB wrote:

I don't know, I personally reserve the right to call anywhere that still has the death penalty on the books for homosexuality a 'medieval craphole'.

If that makes me unenlightened, I really couldn't care less.

Indeed...

Wow - this got out of hand pretty quickly.

Before anyone else makes any sweeping generalisations of an entire country or nation, I'm going to close this thread.