Sharing anal toys

My partner and I are both really getting into using anal toys on each other and separately but I have some concerns about cleanliness in terms of sharing plugs. Now, I'm a bit of a neat freak. In fact, I have been diagnosed and treated for health anxiety related to STIs so I might be a bit on the over cautious side.

Generally though, I'm up for pretty much anything as long as I have lots of feedback from multiple sources with scientific or personal experience. I've tried to do my research, but all of the reading I've done online only really covers 2 things.

1) STI transmission, which isn't a problem for us because we've both been tested (and regularly get tested even though we're monogamous because of my anxiety disorder).

2) That you shouldn't transfer toys from the anus to the vagina or mouth which to me is just common sense and NEVER going to happen.

However, I've got some luxury plugs, particularly glass that I know he'll love and I really want to try on him and don't really want to pay for another. Beyond that, some of them are textured or simply too small to comfortably and effectively use a condom with. So, what's the deal with sharing anal toys? Obviously we would be cleaning them before use with a toy cleaner and/or boiling but was wondering if anyone does this or has specific reasons not to beyond being grossed out? I know it's quite personal and would appreciate any advice. xx

for me it would depend what it was made out of... I would share glass, appropriately cleaned, for example, as it's non-porous.

I wouldn't recommend sharing. For a few quid you should have your own anal toys.

If it's a non porous material such as glass, or metal, sharing should be fine, providing they are cleaned well with an antibacterial cleaner. Glass can also be sterilised/ cleaned in very hot water, for piece of mind.

Do NOT share anal toys made of porous material, such as jellies.

I hope this helps, but if you find a toy you really like it might be worth splashing out on one each.

I had exacltly the same concern two days ago. I'm quite axious too, in addition with a germ phobia. The thing that made me conclude it may not be that bad to share an anal toy, even if you wouldn't be able to wash it proparly (talking about non porous toys only), is considering the fact that some people get a fecal transplant to treat a bacteria named clostridium difficile. So if it's safe to have your feaces replaced by another person's one, sharing a desinfected anal toy should be ok.

I don't see a problem in sharing if it's what you want to do and you can sterilize the toy, personally i would never share toys, i couldn't use something someone else has even if it's made of a sterilizable material like glass or metal, i feel a bit grossed out by it

I may be wrong, but I don't think that gynecologist and proctologists throw their instruments away after each patient...

And how do people who are sooo worried about germs stand body parts being inserted into orifices?

There is really no problem. People don't catch infections anally. Silicone, glass and metal can be sterilised but you need to remember where you are going to put it. It won't be sterile for long.
Obviously open wounds can be infected and STI S can be transferred but cleaning the toys well is probably enough.
Hope that helps.

We share our toys, as long as they are cleaned properly using antibacterial cleaner then there's no issues.

At the end of the day if you're sharing toys I'm assuming you're in a relationship and therefore share other bodily fluids, like you said you're both sti free so the only issues would be from a bacterial point of you. So plenty of antibacterial toy cleaner will solve any problems x

You'll be fine with your glass plug, as well as any other non porous materials like silicone. No condom needed, just clean thoroughly between people :)

As long as neither of you are ill then you shouldn't be at much of a risk - not more than other sorts of unprotected sex.

I wouldn't share porous toys with a casual partner though.

Wouldn't share.

My anal toys live in seperate place to my vaginal toys, and they are mine, and mine only.

We share anal toys all the time, it's no biggie to us. I don't mean to be crass, but we've both had our tongues up each other's butts, so sharing a sterilised butt plug is nothing in comparison. We use condoms with *most* silicone toys, but this is because I have issues with lingering smells, and no matter how well cleaned they are they do pick up a scent that takes a short time to fade.

We gave all our jelly/rubber stuff the heave-ho, so yeah, we share pretty much everything apart from the stuff I get possessive over, lol.