Shopping topless. Yes or No ?

mysteron wrote:

*sexybabe* wrote:

This is an interesting one. On holiday, i sunbathe topless. My breasts were designed by nature to feed a child, it's only humans who have sexualised them. And I wear a bra all year round and it's hot and uncomfortable, so if men can sunbathe topless then so can I.

But around food I'm a bit different; I always cover up when visiting the pool bar as I don't feel it's appropriate. Just a simple kaftan or thin tee is enough, and that goes for men as well - if you're leaning over the food then i don't want your body sweat to drip onto the food! I think that's just good manners above anything else. But on the beach, by the pool or in your own garden, run free and be without clothes if you wish! If anyone is offended they can look away.

Quite right. Thats why I was referring to shopping . Being around a pool half naked is one thing ,of which I dont disagree with but to go shopping like that is another . Men to be fair tend to be the biggest culprits as most women will cover up . Its the same abroad as well as many will cover up to say to go to the restaraunt to eat after being at the pool side . And yes it is good etiquette and I therefore agree mostly with what you have said .

+1. The very thought of someone dripping sweat over food turns my stomach. Topless in the appropriate places is fine xx

No from me. I'm no prude, far from it but blokes should wear tops when in town and girls likewise, no bikini tops etc. Save it for the beach.

It's a no from me also, I think there are certain social norms that still operate and covering up in certain situations is one of them. Social norms usually have a basis for hygiene, politeness, or practicality, although that being said some are also dicriminatory, usually based on gender, which I'm not happy with. On holiday I'm happy to sunbath with no top on, but if I went to the bar or for lunch I would still cover up.

This is an interesting topic. 

For me, I don't really care what people wear when it's hot. If it really is hot enough to warrant removing clothes, go for it!

I do agree that it's more polite to pop a shirt on if you're in a grocery store or an indoor restaurant, but other than that I'm not fussed at all. 

I grew up in Canada though, where it's very normal to walk around in nothing but shorts (no shoes, no shirt) in summer. 

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

For me, I don't really care what people wear when it's hot. If it really is hot enough to warrant removing clothes, go for it!

I do agree that it's more polite to pop a shirt on if you're in a grocery store or an indoor restaurant, but other than that I'm not fussed at all.

Totally agree with this Jess :) xx

Aesthetically I couldn't care less what people wear but from a hygiene perspective I'm all for covering up around food. The naked human body doesn't offend me in the slightest but germs and sweat really do. I'm all too aware of how utterly gross some people are - I'd much rather there was, at the very least, a layer of material between them and anything that I might end up eating!

I work in food retail now and the sun definitely brings out some sights,covering up for hygiene`s sake should apply to customers as well as staff.As for builders,i guess as lot of covering up nowadays is due to health and safety as much as anything.Also,whilst in Florida most stores/malls have a rule `Shirts and shoes must be worn`

Lovehoney - Jess Wilde wrote:

I grew up in Canada though, where it's very normal to walk around in nothing but shorts (no shoes, no shirt) in summer.

I totally agree with you, I don't see what the fuss is ! We all have the same, and if you feel confident enough in your own skin then way not ! Thats the good thing about the freedom of choice

Im not fussed as long as people are happy. I prefer to put on a shirt etc when i go in public, but thats just me.

I think people should aslways cover up when going to the shops, to a restaurant, library, etc., even when it's hot. I don't mind seeing people half naked or naked, regardless of their body shape, but I think it's a question of manners and also hygiene. By the way, I'm from a tropical country and over there if we're not in the beach or pool, we always cover up with something light.

Back in 2003, when I was pregant, the summer was very hot and I was wearing joggers and a light cotton top, but because I was going around 36 weeks and my belly was getting bigger and bigger, part of my belly was out. Not too much, just a little bit. I was walking down the street and two young guys passing on a car, started shouting abuse and asking me to cover my horrible belly. It's ok and people have the right to express their feelings and opinions, but they were so rude and nasty, that I had to hold myself together not to burst into tears in the middle of the road. People can say what they want, but being polite and respectful for me is a must.

I prefer people to have tops and at least shorts on when aroun & about town. lost of folk in very hot countries have no problem in wearing light clothes, so why should we?

I have no massive objection, but others too and shopping is not a situation where it is generally expected to see people to please, as such go with the flow and cover up.

susan50 wrote:

I prefer people to have tops and at least shorts on when aroun & about town. lost of folk in very hot countries have no problem in wearing light clothes, so why should we?

I so much agree with that. I have just bought some white long sleeved T shirts so I can protect my arms from burning and I feel so cool wearing them .

As I live in Spain, I spend a great deal of my time during the summer with very little on when I am in my own villa, however if any one just turns up for a coffee or a chat, I always put a top on before I let them in.

The same happens when we go out, yesterday I had to pop out and get some milk tuna etc for lunch, so on went a pair of shorts, a white T shirt, and some trainers, as its against the law to drive in flip flops.

I'm with Jess on this one, I just think its polite to cover up when you are in shops or a restaurant.

We still have our guest with us at the moment, so its a pair of shorts for me at the moment.![](upload://nXzNBAACFMemirV1148YTO7ENey.gif)

Kanu Suckmeov wrote:

As I live in Spain, I spend a great deal of my time during the summer with very little on when I am in my own villa, however if any one just turns up for a coffee or a chat, I always put a top on before I let them in.

The same happens when we go out, yesterday I had to pop out and get some milk tuna etc for lunch, so on went a pair of shorts, a white T shirt, and some trainers, as its against the law to drive in flip flops.

I'm with Jess on this one, I just think its polite to cover up when you are in shops or a restaurant.

We still have our guest with us at the moment, so its a pair of shorts for me at the moment.

I agree with your comments there. I think you guys who live in hot countires like Spain know the correct way of doing things . Maybe in the UK as hot weather is a rarity in comparision some people don't know the right ettiquette.

Yes i think some people have a tendency to go a bit berserk in this country because we so rarely get any real decent summer weather . When you go abroad you generally see people covered up a bit for walking around towns , shops and other public places.

In my home country, even tough it's an average of 30-32, we cover up when not in the pool or seaside. No driving with flip-flops, no topless in most beaches (except for the naturist ones) and sorry, you men out there, guys wearing shorts are not allowed into the cinema - this one personally I think it's a bit over the top!

Lots of interesting points and opinions so far.

I used to walk around without my shirt on all the time when I was a younger man than I am now but if I was going to a shop/bar etc I'd put a t shirt or even a vest on. These days though with me being about 5stone heavier than I'd like to be I'm not keen on going out in public with no shirt on (who really wants to see a chunky hairy bloke topless except the wife of course she doesn't seem to mind) but that's probably more to do with my own confidence than anything else.

As for other people well what they want to wear is upto them, if a woman wants to walk down the street in s bikini top and her daisy dukes or a guy wants to just have shorts and flip flops on then that's up to them, who am I to judge?
Going into shops etc then yes a shirt should be worn. Most of the large food retailers in the U.K. Have a shirts must be worn policy

I wouldn't walk around topless but I have breastfed my babes out an about, clealry that is different but just my experience of ''topless'' shopping :)

Doesn't bother me in the slightest how people dress when it's hot. When I was younger and a svelte size 10, I was very quick to say 'eww fatties need to cover up'. Now that I'm older and have reeducated myself, and am also fat, I'm disgusted with my younger self for that attitude, and with every single person that says the same. What I do, and what the next person does; it's our own business. You don't have to like that the random stranger in the street has their flab out for them to do it.
From a hygiene point of view, yes, cover up for food shopping or going for a meal etc, but otherwise just wear whatever is comfortable. I have friends and colleagues that go on and on about how rotten it is for anyone bigger than them to have shorts on or a crop top, while I stand there pointing out that I am bigger than some of those they're poking fun at. It's not pleasant.