Shopping topless. Yes or No ?

I heard part of a debate on this on the local radio this morning and its a topic that is perhaps relevant to the hot conditions we currently have in the UK with temperatures set to sore even further . Its a topic we could all join in on with possibly differing views.

Just to even things up slightly as well as guys I want to include ladies just wearing bikini tops as well doing shopping in the supermarket or around town etc.

My own view on this and bearing in mind I do have a fairly decent body now , I still think for shopping about town and the supermarket people should keep covered up . I dont think its hygeinic dropping body fluids onto food .Thats my own view and I may get accused of being a fuddy duddy So for me its a No.

There is a right place for being topless ie around a pool , BBQ party etc but not for shopping. Even going naked in the privacy of ones own garden as per the other thread I agree with.

I have to say no to this as well, I'm one those people that will only let a few people have any body contact with may it be a hug or even an arm touch the only one who is different is my husband. I get really uncomfortable being close to other people and them being topless guy or girl I think I would have a panic attack I know to some people that might seem silly but as I have a few things happen in my past I think that it's understandable other people may feel the same

Another no here . I wouldn't consider going to the shops in just a bra ( which is all a bikini top is ) and shorts at any other time of year so I don't see why hot weather should make any difference. There are plenty of very thin t shirts etc that can be worn that would enable you to still stay cool . Same goes for men , I appreciate seeing a nice male body but I dont want someone leaning over the goods in the supermarket dripping sweat over everything !
So , no you're not being a fuddy duddy . On the beach or in your own garden is fine though .
Must admit it's so hot here today I'm seriously tempted to strip off in my garden as I think my neighbours are out !

I'd vote no for any places that sell/serve food. I used to live in Spain and most people would just throw a summer dress or loose fitting shirt over their swimming gear to run into the store or eat in a restaurant, so I think that's appropriate here too. Outside of those places I'm not too fussed what people do or don't wear

Its a funny topic this one. One of the major housebuilders we undertake work for actually ( and this might upset you Wildflower) forbids bare torsos and is very strict about it. It can lead to being barred from the site.The housbuilder in question actually sent out a memo reminding everone of its standpoint on this subject . Its not a health and safety issue either as wearing a visivest and hardhat would satisfy minimum H & S requirements. Its a public image issue .

Doimg hard labour is another area I wouldn't object to personally.

Now that is a shame mysteron lol ! I know there are lots of regulations about builders wolf whistling etc to passing women these days ,they can lose their job over it if there are complaints as it counts as sexual harassment and rightly so.
Haven't noticed builders covering up round here but maybe it's just a matter of time.

Alicia4Ever wrote:

It's a no from me too.

I don't know about the UK but in my only ever trip abroard I went to Malta, and in the capital city I passed some people in beach wear who were being told by 2 armed police officers they coud be arrested for public indecency if they didn't leave the city immediately.

As it was ileagal to be dressed in beach wear outside of the coastal resorts.

I think your spot on there. some places abroad are far stricter than say this country about things like that. Wasnt that the reason the Brazilian bikini is banned in parts of the US in favour of the more fuller US bikini styles?

On principle, I would have to say yes. This is because I firmly beleive that the freedom and rights that we deserve are available to us in this country. Woman (and men) are not punished by the state for how they want to dress (allbeit in a burka or a binkini), or for their religious or sexual preference. Socially I think that a lot of people still have a LOT to learn - but hopefully that will come in time.

There is a big difference between nudity and social indecency. Using the sidewalk as a public urinal is not only indecent, its also unsanitary. Having sex in public is indecent as children and innocents should not be subjected to this. Taking your top off if you are a man or a woman is actually natural. All children will have experienced boob and this organ is only sexualised by modern society.

To be honest, the arguement for unsanitary bodily fluid is a very misunderstood point. The majority of the moisture lost by your body is in your breath. So by simply breathing in an area with food you are contaminating it. Having your top on or off is neither here nor there.

Alicia4Ever made a point about seeing some people being arested for public indecency. Please think about how you would feel for being arrested for public indecency in the clothes you are wearing right now. How would you feel? The truth is that you would feel instantly violated for being punished for wearing something that you normally can wear. Now think about someone who normally wears a burka or some lucky globetrotter that normally can wear a bikini whithout disrespect being subjected to threats of arest or even violence. This type of totalism is not acceptable in the modern world, and yet is happens in the majority of the world. Even in areas where the state is more relaxed, locals or residents can be worse.

If someone could help me down from my soapbox; personally I don't like seeing people walking around supermarkets or shopping centres with their tops off. There is actually no reason for this in modern (air conditioned) supermarkets or shopping centres apart from bravado or social dissent. Its always the same type of person who is doing this, and there is a big difference between seeing a group of teenage boys with a can of stella and white t-shirts tucked into his jeans and a middle aged man walking holding hands with his child. I always remind myself when I see individuals like this that they have the same freedoms that allow me to be that topless man in a park playing catch or something similar with my son or sunbath nude in my garden and I feel a little bit better about the world that I can bring my son up in.

matnem wrote:

On principle, I would have to say yes. This is because I firmly beleive that the freedom and rights that we deserve are available to us in this country. Woman (and men) are not punished by the state for how they want to dress (allbeit in a burka or a binkini), or for their religious or sexual preference. Socially I think that a lot of people still have a LOT to learn - but hopefully that will come in time.

There is a big difference between nudity and social indecency. Using the sidewalk as a public urinal is not only indecent, its also unsanitary. Having sex in public is indecent as children and innocents should not be subjected to this. Taking your top off if you are a man or a woman is actually natural. All children will have experienced boob and this organ is only sexualised by modern society.

To be honest, the arguement for unsanitary bodily fluid is a very misunderstood point. The majority of the moisture lost by your body is in your breath. So by simply breathing in an area with food you are contaminating it. Having your top on or off is neither here nor there.

Alicia4Ever made a point about seeing some people being arested for public indecency. Please think about how you would feel for being arrested for public indecency in the clothes you are wearing right now. How would you feel? The truth is that you would feel instantly violated for being punished for wearing something that you normally can wear. Now think about someone who normally wears a burka or some lucky globetrotter that normally can wear a bikini whithout disrespect being subjected to threats of arest or even violence. This type of totalism is not acceptable in the modern world, and yet is happens in the majority of the world. Even in areas where the state is more relaxed, locals or residents can be worse.

If someone could help me down from my soapbox; personally I don't like seeing people walking around supermarkets or shopping centres with their tops off. There is actually no reason for this in modern (air conditioned) supermarkets or shopping centres apart from bravado or social dissent. Its always the same type of person who is doing this, and there is a big difference between seeing a group of teenage boys with a can of stella and white t-shirts tucked into his jeans and a middle aged man walking holding hands with his child. I always remind myself when I see individuals like this that they have the same freedoms that allow me to be that topless man in a park playing catch or something similar with my son or sunbath nude in my garden and I feel a little bit better about the world that I can bring my son up in.

Interesting points of which I welcome

mysteron wrote:

Its a funny topic this one. One of the major housebuilders we undertake work for actually ( and this might upset you Wildflower) forbids bare torsos and is very strict about it. It can lead to being barred from the site.The housbuilder in question actually sent out a memo reminding everone of its standpoint on this subject . Its not a health and safety issue either as wearing a visivest and hardhat would satisfy minimum H & S requirements. Its a public image issue .

Doimg hard labour is another area I wouldn't object to personally.

Although my post above may contradict this. When you are working you are a representative of the company you work for. As an example, if you see a [insert courier service provider name here] van driving irrationally, you don't get upset with the person driving (you can't as you don't know them), you become upset with the company. You may even complain to others about that company (therefore negative press) or to that company or even to an authority (ie road agency/police).

The same can be said about topless on site. If a member of the public who has an opinion that toplessness is bad sees you working and is offended, they will not complain to you as an individual, they will complain to a>anyone who will listen (bad press) and b> your parent company c>councils or other autorities (potential warning/fines/loss of licence).

It makes sense for a company to have strict guidlines with regards to items like toplessness, language, wolf whistling, loud music etc.

When you are off work and you are, for example, building your own extention at the front of your house I would be the first in line to set up a picket fence protest to support your right to do that topless!

I wouldn't do it, I live in light kaftans when it's this hot.
However, I don't mind seeing ladies on the street in a bikini top or a lad with his torso out.
What I do find off putting, is overweight people not dressing appropriately. I'm really obese, but I wear clothes to flatter my size, not make me look bigger with acres of flab on show.

matnem wrote:

... This type of totalism is not acceptable in the modern world, and yet is happens in the majority of the world...

::sigh:: spelling. "totalitarianism" not "totalism", although both have a similiar meaning.

matnem wrote:

One of your points were I slightly respectfully disagree on is the contact with food, say in a supermarket. I have seen it myself with my very own eyes a guy dripping sweat onto food in this case perishables . Wearing a cotton T shirt would have protected the food in this intance. I agree about your point about breathing but that isnt visible to the everyday person and nothing much can be done to mimalise the situation.

Good points .

Purring-Pussy wrote:

However, I don't mind seeing ladies on the street in a bikini top or a lad with his torso out.
What I do find off putting, is overweight people not dressing appropriately. I'm really obese, but I wear clothes to flatter my size, not make me look bigger with acres of flab on show.

Don't feel social pressure to cover up. Skinny or fat, toned or curved - I promise you that you are beautiful. If you want to be covered then its your right to be covered, however if you want to wear less then do it! But please try not to judge people by the same book that you feel you are judged by. Be the better person, and compliment people who you feel would benefit from it. If you can change the opinion of just one person then you have made the world a better place.

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Good comment . Thats why I made reference to my own body in my opening post of which my wife is the only person who has seen my six pack . But I still woundn't walk around topless when shopping.

matnem wrote:

Purring-Pussy wrote:

Don't feel social pressure to cover up. Skinny or fat, toned or curved - I promise you that you are beautiful. If you want to be covered then its your right to be covered, however if you want to wear less then do it! But please try not to judge people by the same book that you feel you are judged by. Be the better person, and compliment people who you feel would benefit from it. If you can change the opinion of just one person then you have made the world a better place.

I don't feel pressured to cover, I'd be more than happy as a naturist, I love being naked but I also want to look nice. I don't feel judged so much for being fat, but for being disabled and having to use wheelchair/mobility scooter/walking sticks.

mysteron wrote:

One of your points were I slightly respectfully disagree on is the contact with food, say in a supermarket. I have seen it myself with my very own eyes a guy dripping sweat onto food in this case perishables . Wearing a cotton T shirt would have protected the food in this intance. I agree about your point about breathing but that isnt visible to the everyday person and nothing much can be done to mimalise the situation.

Good points .

Ok, yes. This would not be nice to witness or to be the unwilling recipient of.

My comment with regards to a companies rights applies here. A company can utilise their right to have people dressed within their requirements. If a supermarket feels that it is unsanitary for an individual to be topless within their store then they should be able to enforce their rights.

Of course, this can backfire as we saw last year in Texas when a company refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding because she didn't beleive in gay marriage (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3464222/Gay-couple-feel-dehumanized-Christian-baker-refuses-make-wedding-cake.html). The couple felt discriminated against, and I can't remember if the cake company was fined. In 2015 an Oregan company was fine for the same action.

Actually, although I support gay marriage in total (or "marrage" as I like to call it) - In this case I personally support the shop owner. They may have gone about it the wrong way, but they are entitled to an opinion (this is a God given right, if you'd excuse the irony). The fact that the state has stepped in proves that the state is working towards a totalitarian position in the opposite direction. Think "You will be open minded or you will be punished!". The difference would have been if an employee of a larger company refused the work on their own personal opinions/beliefs and not that of the company.

To relate this to our current discussion. Imagine you are walking through the centre of town and you see a new Turkish restaurant and you think "actually, I'd really fancy a Kebab for tea". You walk in and the owner forces you out of the restaurant because you are not wearing a Burka. Is this acceptable or not? The company would be exercising their right to have an enforcable dress code, but this is kinda socially unacceptable.

[for anyone upset by these comments - sorry. No offence meant. Please remember that I use burka only as an example, and that whilst religious people do wear burkas the majority will do so for cultural reasons and not religious reasons. If the use of the burka upsets you then replace with "collar", as i know a number of people who wear collars 24/7 and have similar social problems.]

Purring-Pussy wrote:

I don't feel pressured to cover, I'd be more than happy as a naturist, I love being naked but I also want to look nice. I don't feel judged so much for being fat, but for being disabled and having to use wheelchair/mobility scooter/walking sticks.

I'm really sorry for you that you feel that way, and actually you are totally justified. A few years ago my SO broke her leg (badly) and was in a wheelchair for a year. You would not beleive some of the things that happened to her. (Actually, you would, but generally other people wouldn't)

Since then we both have tried really hard to be a lot more accepting and understanding towards people who are immobilised.

Having said that, a lot of my previous comment still stands:

matnem wrote:

... I promise you that you are beautiful....

This is an interesting one. On holiday, i sunbathe topless. My breasts were designed by nature to feed a child, it's only humans who have sexualised them. And I wear a bra all year round and it's hot and uncomfortable, so if men can sunbathe topless then so can I.

But around food I'm a bit different; I always cover up when visiting the pool bar as I don't feel it's appropriate. Just a simple kaftan or thin tee is enough, and that goes for men as well - if you're leaning over the food then i don't want your body sweat to drip onto the food! I think that's just good manners above anything else. But on the beach, by the pool or in your own garden, run free and be without clothes if you wish! If anyone is offended they can look away.

*sexybabe* wrote:

This is an interesting one. On holiday, i sunbathe topless. My breasts were designed by nature to feed a child, it's only humans who have sexualised them. And I wear a bra all year round and it's hot and uncomfortable, so if men can sunbathe topless then so can I.

But around food I'm a bit different; I always cover up when visiting the pool bar as I don't feel it's appropriate. Just a simple kaftan or thin tee is enough, and that goes for men as well - if you're leaning over the food then i don't want your body sweat to drip onto the food! I think that's just good manners above anything else. But on the beach, by the pool or in your own garden, run free and be without clothes if you wish! If anyone is offended they can look away.

Quite right. Thats why I was referring to shopping . Being around a pool half naked is one thing ,of which I dont disagree with but to go shopping like that is another . Men to be fair tend to be the biggest culprits as most women will cover up . Its the same abroad as well as many will cover up to say to go to the restaraunt to eat after being at the pool side . And yes it is good etiquette and I therefore agree mostly with what you have said .![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)