Silicon anal toy issues

Gone through a fair few different anal toys over the years any everyone seems to always be on about silicon as the magic material. Been switching between a few materials to test comfort levels and I personally don’t think silicon toys are all they have cracked up to be.
The great silicon lubes still seem to be alright for some toys but not for all. I found some silicon toys are still getting stained a bit to easy for my liking making me not want to use them again. Also found that if the silicon toy pushes into anything up the anus that you didn’t already clean out it seems to feel rather abrasive and uncomfortable.
Switching over to glass toys and I don’t seem to have any of these issues and to be honest years ago I had a lot of firm non silicon anal toys used with silicon lube and I never had staining, abrasive feelings or things sticking to it.
I am rather close to writing silicon off due to it’s inconsistent performance when it comes to anal play (OH has a box of them for front play which she has no complaints on).
Is it just me or have others encountered similar issues?

1 Like

Totally agree with you @Toolman31, glass all the way! Silicone is great for vaginal play (I need a bit of flexibility and softness for my anatomy it seems) but I definitely prefer glass for anal. I used to have all the same issues as you had with silicone toys but now that I have finally tried a glass plug I don’t have to worry about it anymore!

Everyone is different though, glass might look a bit intimidating to many people and I’m sure there are lots of people who prefer silicone and wonder why we rave about glass!

I seem to prefer glass over metal too, I assumed they would feel very similar but glass feels so much smoother to me.

3 Likes

Not sure the silicon issues are sex toy specific. You can buy 2 bits of silicon cookware, and 1 is brilliant and the other rubbish. That sticking and staining thing is true for cookware too.

Sex toy wise, have to admit I mostly use glass and metal now. They do feel different, so I use each at times. Silicon only comes out for pegging really.

2 Likes

I used to have some other hard plastic/jelly material that was great, not sure of the material or if it has become non-safe material these days. I just don’t agree with all the hype about silicon toys. I am also switching a lot my toys to glass. If only they made a glass toy for penises to go in, then I would be set lol

Have you tried using small condoms on your silicon toys? Stops staining and less clean up. Just a thought.

Yes I have done that in a pinch but don’t really like it gets little folds in it, hard to handle it and honestly when I buy I high end silicon toy I don’t feel I should have to.

@Toolman31 silicone is preferred by many women over such as PVC due to PVC being much more porous than " quality silicone" which means it can take bacteria into the PV C kind of like it has a microscopic sponge structure. Not good if you are putting it in your vagina.

Silicone toys due have a drag on the skin, so do need lots of lube. Water based lube does tend to get water based lube recommended, but that’s you can’t use oil based lube vaginally. Oil based lube is fine on silicone, and it lasts and cuts down on that gritty dragging sensation, it’s silicone based lube that damages silicone.

The best way to get over this issue is to make sure that you put the lube in and on yourself as well as the toy. As your anus act like a squeegee on the the lube which is on the toy, leaving most of it on the outside where it does no good. Giving your anus a good fingering with lube first gets it in the right place as does getting some inside. I have an applicator to put it inside me.

I have never had issues with silicone toys staining, but have with PVC. Yes silicone and other materials like cyber skin due gather fluff, wash them after use, let then air dry, rather that a towel, and keep them in a good fluff free bag. If needs be rinse before use, but I get it that having to do that kind of kills spontaneity.

I tend to use mostly dual density silicone dildos for anal, if I want something that feels more like the real thing, but for vibes, I make sure to get the best quality silicone I can afford. Look for ones which say the silicone has a silky feel, either in the blurb, or in a review. Platinum grade silicone is another tern used.

But for sheer slip you can’t beat glass/ metal , it’s just hard so not always what I’m in the mood for, sometimes out of the drawer it’s cold too, and I’m not into cold toys, though some people are. glass / metal would always be my go to suggestion for anyone wanting to get into anal for the first time. I love the textures you can get in it too. too, like the beaded dildos.

4 Likes

Everyone has their preferred materials. Silicone is raved about in it is essentially non porous, inert, comes in a range of softness etc. But ultimately it’s a comparison against other soft plastic/rubber type toys. It isn’t really compared to the harder materials in that sense.

If you are having staining issues, you can try a 10% bleach solution. No guarantees though. Firmer silicone stains less. If it is a regular issue, then you might want to make sure you are using the bathroom before using anal toys.

Sorry, I need to dispel this a bit. Silky feel is a manufacturing choice not an indication of the quality of the silicone. “Platinum Grade” is also not a thing as such, although some companies do use it as a marketing tool. Platinum cured silicone is one of the most common and better methods for essentially setting the silicone. It’s an ingredient in the catalyst used not a marker of quality.

1 Like

Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong with the silicone ones @anon62893628. I think the applicator idea sounds good, I’m not sure how I feel about using my finger.

I’d really like to try one of these, do they really feel better than a standard silicone toy?

@Calie I stand corrected. Though I still find that silicone with a silky feel helps allot with that gritty sensation. I’m no expert on silicone manufacturing, merely going on what I have heard said on here, many times in the past.

Thank you for providing that insight for me.

@Kitty-Cat01 Doesn’t have to be a finger, or your finger. As for dual density it’s not about better, it’s just softer on the outside, with a firmer core to stop it flopping about. A real penis isn’t solid like some silicone, so for me it feels more like a real penis, well as close as you can get. So it’s just a different sensation.

3 Likes

Your so knowledgeable, I’d try more cleaning but I don’t think I’ll be using them again anyways, thanks for the bleach tip. Think I’ll leave the silicon toys to front end play only and buy good brands, not sure which ones use which grad or which ones can use all lubes.
Yes I do find silicon is used as a bit of a marketing thing with many buzz words involved.

I’ve never faced any issues, but the reason I rave about silicone is mentioned above. It’s not a porous material. When I used to buy PVC/rubber/TPE toys, I’d regularly get BV and couldn’t store the toys together as they would melt. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I have stainless and glass but mostly use silicon , partly because it tends to be cheaper, but also simply because you can go bigger. I’m not a big fan of lube and love the way that so little is needed for glass and steel, particularly if using oil based. With silicon, I occasionally get the ‘not in a good way’ rubbing but generally it’s not an issue

I’ve used a 10% bleach solution successfully but I use bleach for a lot of cleaning anyway as I’m allergic to many household cleaners.

@Purring-Pussy. I’ve had BV a few times. How have you got rid of it if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve found the best way (better than prescribed items) is too use my finger to pull the discharge out as frequently as I can without making my vagina sore and wiping it on loo paper. Getting rid of the discharge gets rid of the BV quicker for me than anything OTC or prescribed.

I find that the silicon toys do adopt smells from anal use, it does dissipate after a while, but its still there. I do like the look of glass plugs over silicone, but LH seems to stop at 4.5inch circumference which I find a bit small, now if they sold some that were closer to 6 inch (or even metal ones that weren’t a very expensive njoy model), I’d be super keen.

I’m using non-lubricated condoms now after some expensive fails. I hadn’t clocked that most condoms are lubricated with silicone lubes, and were damaging our posh dual density toys and silicone plugs. The surface discoloured and looked awful after a while. It seemed to take on more smells too. Yeuch! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

It’s flexible too. If only someone would invent flexible metal like in Terminator 2!

Are you using silicone lube with silicone toys ? I own lots of silicone anal toys and have never had any staining. If you are using silicone lube with silicone toys it will start to fall apart.

I’ve never tried glass toys as yet but really want too as hear loads of good praise for them.
With silicone I asked on here yonks ago about the issue of staining as it seems to happen too easily on silicone and although I know I’ve cleaned them very well it too still puts me off wanting to use again. Lubes also tend to be a hot and miss on them as well…

I try and use the water but im sure i mix them up now and then, honestlyI find some dont seem to mind the same lube (usually the higher priced one) Last one that melted on me was a mid priced one that said on the box can be used with any lube. Which was why i tried it again, but it was very wrong, I should really start keeping receipts when i buy sex toys lol