Silicone lube

Hi everyone 👍
All the toys on the site say use with a water based lube , not a problem as we have some ,
But I was wondering, I have a bottle of pjur lube that is silicone based , is it really not compatible with toys ? If so what can I use this for ? Might seem a stupid question but I’m intrigued 😘💕

I use Pjur silicone lube for an anal dildo and its by far the best. I believe as long as the toy is silicone free its fine to use it.

I also have Pjur, good stuff. Some silicone toys are ok to use with silicone lubes. Look on the packaging for “platinum” or “platinum cured” this refers to the chemical curing process and is the highest grade of sex toy material. Platinum silicone can usually be used safely with silicone lube. I have used almost all my silicone toys with silicone lube and most are ok. The ones that are not have a chemical reaction on the surface where the lube kind of bonds with toy material. When you try to clean it off it seems like the lube just won’t clean up, and if you wipe it really hard you can remove some of the outer layer of the toy. Over time this can deform and significantly degrade the material.

Luckily there are a lot of silicone lube safe materials out there.

It's recommended not to use in silicone toys as it may cause damage. Think it's ok with other toys.
I prefer silicone lube as it lasts much longer than waterbased. Doesn't dry up. I have used a small amount on some silicone toys, touch wood it's been ok.

We have used Pjur 'Original' and Pjur 'Woman' lube with all our silicone toys (and we don't really use anything that isn't silicone) and we have never had a problem.

My suspicion is that the whole thing about incompatibility of silicone lubes with silicone toys comes from iffy lubes and toys that were not pure silicone (the word seems to command a price premium so I guess it's understandable). We have, in the past, bought toys that claimed to be silicone that clearly were nothing of the sort.

The problem comes about because silicon lube tends to cause silicon toys to disintegrate (there's a chemical reaction). It won't happen immiediately, it will be a gradual problem.

We have used silicon lube with some toys and it does seem to be hit or miss but always seems to end up with the toy not lasting as long. We now use Baby oil for the replaced toys as it lasts longer than water based and doesn't seem to be so distructive.

Making an anal toy that isn't silicone compatible seems daft

You can definitely use silicone lubes with glass and metal.

It’s generally not recommended to use silicone lube with a silicone toy as they can react with each other if they aren’t the same grade. You can do a patch test on the base to check whether it’s compatible first though. I’ve had no problems using Sliquid Silver or Pjur’s Silicone lubes with good quality silicone brands like Tantus and We-Vibe :)

NatandTom wrote:

(…) I’ve had no problems using Sliquid Silver or Pjur’s Silicone lubes with good quality silicone brands like Tantus and We-Vibe :)

Just to be sure, you have not tried it on one of the Tantus super soft/dual density toys? I think only the harder silicone toys are safe (so this should include Fun Factory toys).

I remeber reading that softer silicone toys contain dimethicone and similar compounds that also form the basis of silicone lube that can leak out of the toy. I had one soft silicone toy from a good quality manufacturer that shall not be named on this forum stored inside a Lovehoney bag inside a cardboard box and the cardboard did absorb something that looked like silicone lube. The toy never came into contact with 3rd party silicone lube and I would hesitate to try it.

I don’t think I have tried it on their dual density/soft products no but I don’t make a habit of using silicone on silicone. I almost always use water based stuff with toys that aren’t glass/metal.

Just pointing out that sometimes it works out and is fine on those platinum grade silicone toys but patch testing is super important! I generally wouldn’t advise someone to use it though unless they were all out of water based lube. :-)

I just stick to water based. I seem to have a lot of silicone toys.

Couple looking to spice things up wrote:

I just stick to water based. I seem to have a lot of silicone toys.

Think that is the best policy with those toys

Just to address a couple of points, we have some silicone toys (a feeldoe original for example), that are well over 10 years old and have been used wit Pjur silicone lubes all that time and they are still just like new. We also have a Tantus Cush O2 (dual density) dildo which gets a lot of use and again is used every time with Pjur 'woman' lube and has been for several years and again it's just like new so I really don't understand what the issue is.

Silicone hozes are used in car engine compartments and are subject to all manner of chemical cleaners and silicone oil 'dressing' and they are always fine.Classic car enthusiasts send a small fortune on them so there would be lots of comments on their websites if silicone on silicone was a real issue.

I've never used pure silicone lube before but recently bought some and would like to test it with not only glass, metal and ceramic toys but also some vibes. Has anyone used Sliquid Silver with either the Humdinger: https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=21149

or the Power Play 7 Function Vibrator: https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33567 ?

I'm asking because the product pages don't say what exact material the "Smooth Coated Plastic" is, and the Power Play has a button that could be silicone. I adore both these toys and do not want to harm them.

My guess is that there is no silicone in these two toys, but I really would prefer to be 100% sure.

We ae both in our mid sixties and my wife does not naturally produce lubrication for long so we use lubes for mutual masturbation and foreplay.

Water based lubes are OK but they do tend to dry up and, if overused they just make everything sloppy.

We have found that silicone lubes are much better. They make everything smooth and silky rather than wet and sloppy/

I prefer to use a silicone-based lubricant, the reason behind it I use a silicone dildo that is around 7.5 Inches. I have used many other lubricants but they are so sticky and not good enough. I have water-based lubricant also but now, I used silicone that provides me a silk-like feel.